Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Anyone stuck in a MEMORY HOLE?

Sometimes after I'm working with Sonar 2.0 for an hour or so MY COMPUTER SLOWS DOWN TO 1/30th OF IT'S SPEED. It is even difficult to move the mouse arrow. A friend told me that it was a MEMORY HOLE. I have ddram and the problem is worse if I do lots of EDITING between Cool Edit and Sonar. To get rid of the problem I reboot. My friend told me that the problem develops when one task won't RELEASE MEMORY after exiting and because I bounce back and forth between Cool and Sonar the problem is worse. Any ideas how to get rid of this PERMANENTLY?? Dan http://musicinit.com/pvideos.html

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You can easily find out if this is the case... First, if you are running Win98 or WinME... it is very possible that memory is not being released back. Second, if you are running NT4, Win2K or WinXP, you can check your *Task Manager*. Just right-click on the task bar and selecet *Task Manager* from the pop-up menu. Click on the performance tab and note there are 4 major monitors of resources. Check what they are at first boot. Recheck it periodically and note if the available RAM keeps getting lower and/or the *handles/Threads/Processes* keep going up. Pagefile limits can cause similar issues. You can monitor that in the task manager, as well. If you haven't defragmented your hard drive in a while, the pagefile can fragment as it expands into fragmented free space. This will also cause slowing. And, a system restart usually cleans up the pagefie. But, the slowing process will happen all over, if you don't defrag. Just a few things to check...

"It's all about the... um-m-m, uh-h-h..."

I read something a while back about a freeware program that could automatically or manually manage Windows memory allocation. I think it was called Memboost or Memturbo or something like that. I would check out tucows or cnet. If memory serves me, there were mixed reviews... some people said it was more trouble than it was worth.

While you're at it...make sure you save those updates somewhere - Windows Update (auto updates) now only works for 2000 & XP. 98 will have to be downloaded manually (& you never know when it might disappear from their site, being deprecated).

Quickly... Try the swap file equal min/max size trick, particularly on single drive systems. Certain memory resident programs are leaky as all get out; there's a version of Zone Alarm that sucks memory like there's no tomorrow, and I've seen anti-virus programs that never want to release memory after they run. Also, I think Windows98 freaks out if you use *more* than 512megs of memory. Mismatched memory does weird things as well. Pre-OSR2 versions of Win98 had some weird page file things reversed if you chose "network server" as the profile, if I remember correctly. Your AGP memory aperture could be sucking big time, make that smaller (sometimes). Uhm.. Sometimes if you've got a ton of memory, if you minimize the size of your swap file you'll get more stability because some programs grab as much memory as they see; and they see a huge swap file, and as that gets chunked and fragmented it becomes a resource hog to keep track of it. I've seen versions of Win95 where if you just left the machine on for a day, it would crash voluntarily on it's own, just out of nowhere... BUT... With Win98 it seems I've always been able to get it to a stable, efficient place as long as I don't add any weird things to it. I've finally got a dedicated machine for audio, and now that it's off the net and not subject to funny Java things, oddball updates, virus scanners, etc. I'm hoping it will be even more stable. Of course, if I buy Cubase SX I'll have to run 2000 (NOT XP) which I don't look forward to...

Guitar Lessons in Augusta Georgia: www.chipmcdonald.com

Eccentric blog: https://chipmcdonaldblog.blogspot.com/

/ "big ass windbag" - Bruce Swedien

Archived