Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Extra Angle(d) Headstocks Pics?

Jim T.

I'm having a short scale 30" six built for me.

We're looking at using 17 degree angle on the headstock in an attempt to get more "bite" at the nut/transfer of vibration on a short low B.

Yes, I know that the physics aren't changed and won't give me a tighter string. I'm just looking for more energy transfer vibrationally.

Does anyone here own such a headstock or know of pics they can post for me?

Can anyone think of an advantage using a greater angle over slotted classical guitar style headstocks?

Thanks.

"When people hear good music, it makes them homesick for something they never had, and never will have."

Edgar Watson Howe

"Don't play what's there. Play what's not there" Miles Davis

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know the exact angle but Anthony Jackson's signature Fodera has a more-tiltback-than-most headstock. Also consider an adjustable nut or cut the nut shallower than normal to minimise buzzing and maximise tightness (in feel terms) with your short scale and low tuning.

Alex

I think my Kinal is about 15 degrees.

I have a bad taste in my mouth for slotted headstocks - it's strictly prejudice not based on facts - Gibson made EB basses for a while, and I think the ability of the head to withstand "normal wear and tear" was worse than the "paddle" headstock. I know that lots of acoustic guitars use them....

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

I don't think you want to much more than 15 degrees - don't want the strings binding in the nut during tightening or loosening the the pegs. Nor do you want to have to press an excessive witness point angle into them like you should at the bridge.

EDIT: Both my Carvin and my ex-Ibanez have 15 degree shaped headstocks. The Carvin has a pleasing and slight reinforced ridge at the heel.

When I eventually get around to making my EUB, I will be making a slotted headstock just because it would be easier to do, and that the neck is going to be so thick already, I might just carve the whole thing from one piece.
http://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/blue.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/black.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/fuscia.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/grey.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/orange.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/purple.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/red.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/yellow.JPG

Thanks for the imput, folks.

I've seen Stambaugh's slotted pic on Bass Alone's 6 string site.

Any other pics of 15 degree plus paddle headstocks out there?

"When people hear good music, it makes them homesick for something they never had, and never will have."

Edgar Watson Howe

Indeed. Much more and I'd think that the headstock design was inviting early string failure due to the extreme angle of the string as it passed over the nut.

I'm still trying to figure out how I managed to break my low E on my Sterling at the last show I played with it. Granted, I was beating the living hell out of the bass while we were playing Rage Against the Machine's "Killing in the Name"... the stupid strings weren't even a month old and I never play that bass. Already searched for sharp edges on the saddle (where the string failed) and didn't find anything suspicious. Bloody hell.

Oh yes, and I must give huge props to whoever that was who let me borrow his fretless Sterling for the remainder of the night. Some nice bass player in Seattle that I don't know (don't even remember his name) let me use his fretless Sterling for the remainder of the night. It was interesting to play the rest of the Grunge band set on a fretless. Especially "Sober" by Tool. Weeeee. Fun times.

TBFKAGB: When do we get to see a pic of the ex-Ibanez? I'm curious.

Bumpalicious: "Whee" is right. Nuthin' like an unexpected fretless adventure. Live it, love it, and bring the rock non-stop.

JimT: Interesting question. I was going to recommend checking out that Stambaugh at Bass Alone, but you've already done that. Go to the Carvin site and check their headstock angle. Warmoth sells necks w/ 13-degree angled headstocks.

17 degrees on a short-scale? I'm not as hesitant about it as some others here. I'm also curious to know where you're headed in terms of decisions about string gauges and tuning.

Peace.

--SW

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

Dr Sweet Willie,

It's been real frustrating waiting for the Hipshot/Graphtech piezo bridge (to drive the 13 pin stuff) that was supposed to be available six months ago. By the time that's available I suppose I'll have to polish the 'board ; } ...I've been using stainless roundwounds and nary a mark so far, but because it's a pain to swap my GK-2B back and forth, I've only used it a couple gigs without the GK-2B, and some messing around.

I'm thinking about tuning it in FIFTHS again too...

I'm presently using a .165 to .170 on my Bronco Experimental Frankenbass for the low B. It's reasonably tight but a bit tubby in tone.

I'd like to use a .145 to .150 for better intonation up the neck. (Well CLEARER intonation...) The rest of the strings will be in the normal/expected range. .105 for E, probably .30 for the high C.

I'm thinking that thin high frets (like Dunlop 6105s) would be best for intonation with a really fat low B? I also want to protect the fingerboard's Celtic Knot inlays by having them "reasonably" high. I hate Jumbos...

I read that Les Paul guitars have a headstock angle of 17 degrees. (Can anyone verify this for me?) I'm concerned that 17 would look too weird on my bass (don't wanna look like a lute). Les Pauls look fine, so maybe it'd be ok.

Anybody got pics they've "tripped over" of basses with fairly severe angling?

Bump, if you're thumpin' mightly hard, I could see your string breaking simply from sheer force/metal fatique especially if it was non visibly faulty in any way... I don't think a 17 degree headstock's /nut witness point would be that much more severe than what goes over a through body strung bridge on average...

Edgar Watson Howe

Oh yeah,

I'm using a brass nut which is 'somewhat' self lubricating...there's always teflon or graphite I suppose...

I'd rather go with 15 degrees but I also don't wanna be kicking myself down the road, wondering if I might have gotten an even better sound out of that B.

By the way. Talkbass once had a thread that showed a classical guitar type slotted arrangement ONLY on the low B on a luthier bass. It was uniformly dismissed by the forum readers but I kinda liked it and thought it might be my answer to having a normal looking headstock angle.

Does anyone here happen to have a pic or the name of that luthier? i'd like to take a second look. Talkbass has gotten rid of old pics prior to their latest overhaul.

Edgar Watson Howe

Hi Taz,

Thanks so much for the soothing ointment!

I'd tried other browsers but didn't see a specific angle listed in the descriptions before I had to run to a session. Forgot to google!

Well, Les Pauls DO have a 17 degree tilt and I've never heard anyone disparage their looks so I feel much better! You ARE the Dr. !

Thanks!

Edgar Watson Howe

Where'd you get a .160? That might just be the ticket for me if I wanted to emulate the ultra low tuned bass tones (if you can hear/feel them at all) from Meshuggah 's "nothing" album. I have a 34-inch scale five string Yamaha RBX 765A at home.

The silly guys in that band use custom eight string Nevborn guitars, tuned F, Bb, Eb, Ab, Db, Gb, Bb, Eb, low to high. They also use custom Ibanez 7 strings, which have the same tuning, minus the low F.

S.I.T. strings makes a .165 and I think...a .170 low F/F# string. The last time I tried their site they were going through an overhaul and couldn't see what else they have... I need to do that. A friend sent me a string in the mail.

I just read that Dean Markley also has low F/F# strings now but haven't checked that out yet either.

Start there... I'm still working on a lot of other construction details with my short scale but I need to get back to addressing the string thing soon!

Oh, by the way, the S.I.T. string was taper cored or exposed core at the bridge and I believe it's stainless but I'm not positive.

A S.I.T. rep answered my email promptly about making me a custom short scale string but I didn't have the finished instrument's dimensions yet which he'd requested. I'll be doing that as the bass gets built.

So far we're shooting for making the tilted headstock long enough to use 34" scale low Bs to simplify purchasing on the road.

Hope this helps you! Jim

Edgar Watson Howe

Archived