Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

just found the cheapest GAS remedy around

The Fonz

so i bought an olp on ebay. shipping included it came to just over $200.

it rawks. i think it's actually built better than the lakland skyline. it definitely doesn't play like a $200 instrument.

so now no one has an excuse to not have a backup instrument. these things are a great value. head over to musicians friend or something and plunk down $250 to relieve your GAS.

Eeeeeehhhhhhhhh.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Ace Cracker:

so i bought an olp on ebay. shipping included it came to just over $200.

it rawks. i think it's actually built better than the lakland skyline. it definitely doesn't play like a $200 instrument.

so now no one has an excuse to not have a backup instrument. these things are a great value. head over to musicians friend or something and plunk down $250 to relieve your GAS.

Built better than a skyline? I dunno... My favorite local music store recently got a couple in (rare for them to get more than one of a cool bass in at a time...). I played them and was pretty damn impressed. I mean, all I own are two mexican fenders and a squire, all three of which represent outstanding value and especially good workmanship for the cost (and more value after an upgrade or two), but the skylines still had a more "polished" quality, and didn't have any of the tiny little "defects" that you overlook in lower price instruments (the finish not being totally uniform, a loose screw or bolt, a nut in need of a little adjusting, etc.)

That's not to say I don't think they're a good idea and a great backup instrument. Hell, I bet they make fine main instruments, and if they can handle music-man style upgrades without routing or woodworking, even better!

And, I could be wrong about this. I mean, I've not actually played an OLP, so I can't say for sure that it's not on par with a skyline. I'm just saying that I would be SERIOUSLY surprised if that was actually the case. I think the skyline's represent at least one level higher quality (value basses, middle-range basses, high-end factory models, custom basses, in that order)I'd consider them middle range basses that play very similarly to high-end factory models.

Just my .02$

Oh, and before I leave and sound like a total ass here, I want to wish you congratulations on your purchase, and let you know that I'm envious. If I had the spare cash, I'd probably get one, too, if only to play around with and upgrade. :)

unkownroadband.com - step into the unkown :-)

Congratulations on your OLP.

I picked one up about 8 months ago and was very impressed. I keep it as my upstairs practice bass. I like to have a bass that I can grab real quick and not have to run down stairs where I have "the big stuff," my Fender Jazz and Ampeg.

I have the MM3 which is the 5-string in a natural finish. I was so impressed that I set up a group dedicated to OLP basses. You can check it out by using the link below.

http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/olpbassplayers/

We like to talk about modifications, tweaking, etc.

We have about 85 members and the group tends to get busy in waves, being slow for a while and then picking up. Check it out. It is open group and if you want to join, please feel free to do so, we will be happy to have you.

HypnoBassMan

The deeper you go the better you feel! (True for bass and hypnosis.)

Surely the cheapest G.A.S. remedy would be winning the lottery because you pay £1 and get millions in return, so you can buy any bass ever.

Nic

"i must've wrote 30 songs the first weekend i met my true love ... then she died and i got stuck with this b****" - Father of the Pride

Archived