Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Purpose of music

dhurstlmt

What is the purpose of music? I am not asking this to find "the" answer. I am simply curious as to the views and ideas of other musicians. Why get better? I guess what I really want to know is what keeps you playing. Is it the money, the interaction with the band/audience, the self-expression it holds? Let me know what you think. I am not struggling with finding a reason. I just want to know what makes us click musically. :thu:

Let your speech be better than silence, or be silent.

For those who believe, no explanation is necessary. For those who do not, none will suffice.

"Rindase!"

"Rendirme? Que se rinda su abuela, *#@!^$"

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Purpose of music? I'd have to say mass communication. When I write or play something, I couldn't care less if I make some bread. For me, I just want one person besides me to "get it". I don't care how they react. They can clap or dance or cry or shout nasty things at me. I just hope the music I'm playing gets their attention and they internalize it somehow.

Ah whatever... how about, the purpose of music is having fun?

I've been thinking about the same question and think it has a more anthropological answer. I believe music is like a cornerstone of culture, and culture is a that which separates us from most other species. Culture is like considered the way humans adapt to the changing environment.

Kids seem to learn a lot with music, when they cop our vocabulary they often adapt the melody they hear along with the words. I'm amazed at how my kids are able to pick up melodies and music. I really think music might be a lot more important to our being human that I previously ever thought.

I'm sure there has been research done in this area, but I've not even begun trying to find it.

check out some comedy I've done:

http://louhasspoken.tumblr.com/

My Unitarian Jihad Name: Brother Broadsword of Enlightened Compassion.

music, like any art, is a way of communicationg emotion. the beautiful thing about music is it is the only art form that invokes involuntary physical reactions in people (when was the last time you saw someone bobbing his head to a painting). and THAT is why we as bass players are superior musicians :D
Eeeeeehhhhhhhhh.

Originally posted by dhurstlmt:

What is the purpose of music?

It's a universal language. Everyone understands music. I don't speak French, Russian, or German. If I got together with 3 jazz musicians who only spoke those various languages we'd have no problem playing "All The Things You Are" together and no one would know any different. I think that's rather cool.

Why get better?

Because it's no fun to suck.

I guess what I really want to know is what keeps you playing.

It's my favorite thing in life. That and strawberry Pop Rocks.

All your bass are belong to us.

FiElDy ruLz.

What would Lemmy do?

here's an easier question:

what is the meaning of life?

hahaha

"I'm thinkin' we should let bump answer this one...

Prepare to don Nomex!"

-social critic

"When I install my cannons, I'm totally going to blast their asses back to the 16th century; Black Beard style"

-bumpcity

Music is a universal language because IMO, its about emotion. Certain songs and genres may do nothing for you but if you got past the lyrics, instruments or whatever else gets in the way of the notes, melody, tone ect., it turns into a reaction that feeds into an emotion of some sort.
Donnie Peterson

Originally posted by musicalhair:

music is like a cornerstone of culture, and culture is a that which separates us from most other species.

Are the birds singing not making music? The wind in the trees? Raindrops, surf, crickets?

We didn't invent poop, just borrowed & embellished what was already there.

Why do I keeping playing? I guess because I feel good playing and am drivin to do so. Not sure why. Playing with a band is great.

I have wondered about this. For me I don't think it is the trill of playing in front of an audience or anything like that. Of course, it seems pointless to play for no one. So, I don't know.

Yes: "The time between the notes relates the color to the scenes."

The purpose is so that people and compare so and so with such and such, and blargy farg, and get Bumpcity to go into one of his rants.

...could Michael Jackson make a living ANY OTHER WAY?

... since my parent's couldn't dance (see the age survey thread), I guess it's pretty damned useless if one doesn't have rhythm. :D

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

• 2 weeks later...

Music is what I want to be doing until the day I drop dead. When I'm not playing music I'm usually listening to it, or thinking about it.

In "The Hotel New Hampshire" by John Irving the mantra running through it is that you have to be obsessed and stay obsessed with something you love. It is a reason for living. While there are many reasons for living, music seems to be the one that consistently delivers the goods for me. Some call it obsessive, some call it focused.

Have you ever heard of String Theory?

The idea that every single atom in the universe exists as it does because of these tiny "strings" of energy, smaller than quarks, which vibrate, and the vibration determines the charateristics of the atoms on up.

So, basically, the entire universe is made up of different vibrations of strings of energy.

It's essentially music.

Music is the most fundamental aspect of the entire universe.

"Tea & Cake, or Death!"

Holy cow! When you play you are adding your sand's grain to the Universe's Breathing! For me it is a kind of meditation in motion... :D

"If you don't live it, it won't come out of your horn"

Charlie Parker

I think there are many purposes:

* Mating-rituals ("wanna dance?")

* Fun (liquor optional)

* Atmosphere (elevators, stores, church, etc.)

* "Making a statement" (60s music, rap, etc.)

* Desire to "show off" (musicians? egos? Naaaa...)

* Tradition (my parents were musicians)

* ...and on and on...

I think the 'purpose' of music varies depending on who you're talking to, but in my opinion it always has to do with emotion.

A good musician\writer can evoke emotion from his audience, whether that is joy or sadness, love or hate depends upon the creator of the music, and to a lesser degree the ear of the listener.

There are musicians, I suppose, that play/compose purely for technical prowess, but that's awfully empty to me. For me, if it doesnt strike an emotional chord, it isnt music.

Beware the lollipop of mediocrity; one lick and you suck forever.

Well, heck, I have to do SOMETHING with all this gear, don't I? :P

I think the common threads here are probably the right answer, if there is one. But I liked Jeremy's counter question: Does music have to have a purpose?

"For instance" is not proof.

cuz chicks dig guys in rock bands of course :D

i feel that we play music for most of the above reasons already stated, emotion, relaxation, fun, and so on. but like already said "does music need a reason?"

Life sucks, and then you die. oh well, at least we have music.

Archived