Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Sort of OT: The Ultimate in band marketing

bass face

So I'm talking to my guitarist at the bar...trying to think of cool ways to get our band's name out (without having to spam the crap out of you guys). So anyway, we go through the usuals..once you get past the music there's the website, stickers, t-shirts, buttons, ect. The bartender eventually hears us talking, and tells us that a band came in a little while ago and asked if they could put their 'urinal cakes' in the bathrooms. GENIUS. They actually had urinal cakes made with their band's logo on it. Talk about having a captive audience!

Now I have to ask..aside from the obvious, which is just rocking, what do you guys do to promote yourselves, and/or have you ever seen anything more clever than that?

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
chain letter email with the link in it and a few words about youselves :D

"I'm thinkin' we should let bump answer this one...

Prepare to don Nomex!"

-social critic

"When I install my cannons, I'm totally going to blast their asses back to the 16th century; Black Beard style"

-bumpcity

SPAM practically guarantees that I will ignore a band.

The time-homored methods are the best. You know: getting out in front of people and playing well, with interesting songs. Plenty of bands I've seen deserved to have their names pissed on, but otherwiose no reason to remember their names. Make the name memorable by music.

That's what I buy recordings of, and that's what I want when I go out 'clubbing. The rest is BS.

Urinal Cakes!

Now THAT is about as creative a marketing ploy as any I have EVER seen! :thu:

I LOVE that!

Two I've seen are picks (ala CMDN) and getting your name printed on those CD opener razor thingies.

For me personally, the best advertisement is when my favorite bands email reminders of their club dates. Then I just copy and paste the details into my Microsoft Outlook calendar.

I am an old (44) and fairly organized person though!

Oh, and bumper stickers (actually window stickers) are pretty great too.

Next year, if my band plays again on a Mardi Gras float, I will probably buy some Mardi Gras "beads" with the band name (and website) embossed on the emblem. Or maybe on some "doubloons."

A large and super professional banner totally impresses me when I am in an audience, and I believe would impress a club owner/booking person as well.

Hey, I just thought of one... how about getting cocktail napkins printed with band logo, website and contact info. Then when you go to a club, give them to the wait staff to use! Usually, clubs use the plain white napkins.

... connie z

"Change comes from within." - Jeremy Cohen

The definition of LUCK: When Preparation meets Opportunity!

http://www.cybergumbo.com

OK, maybe I am out of the norm here. But when I go to hear a band, not one of thwe marketing ploys works on me. If the band is making the stage the center of the universe while I am there, or making me believe they could, I will follow up on them.

If they have bumper stickers or anything else but are just so-so and don't seem like they wioll be more any time soon, those bumper stickers or cocktail napkins don't do anything.

But that's just me. I don't watch television these days either.

The urinal cake thing seems kinda wrong ta me for the simple reason that while I'm doing my duty looking down at that...well, I'd giggle, but I'd always remember I pissed on that band. Well, in those terms you might say that at least I remembered the name...but I for one don't want to be thought of in that way. :freak:
Donnie Peterson

This thread has gone down the toilet. How about printed toilet paper (yes - there is such a thing). Problem is that most of us avoid the stalls....

Other than hearing a band's music, I'm not sure what would make me notice them and listen. Certainly not spam - usually it's a friend's recommendation. I guess if a flyer caught my eye I might check out the website, but it's rare.

One of the problems is that there is so much marketing thrown at us that we don't have time to interpret it much less act on it (which is part of what I suspect greenboy-the-blank is talking about).

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Our plan of attack is to give away copies of our 5 song demo (with art and layout by yours truly; all those years of art schoolfinally pay off!). But first we need to get some gigs!

Back in the day, the band I was in would go plastering flyers for every gig; not very effective.

The best bet is tell everyone you know, and beg them to tell everyone they know, and put on a kick ass fun show so maybe people will want to come back and see you again.

Mailing lists work to some degree too. I haven't tried e.mail yet (last band that played out on a regular basis was 10 years ago!).

"Start listening to music!".

-Jeremy C

My band is pretty funny and we like to hold true to the fact that we're doing things differently.

We heard the other day that a comercial song at best has about 58/59 uses of the word 'f***'. So we went for the record - we got it up to 122 so far.

It's a very funny song that basically makes fun of the pop songs that don't say what they mean. 'Rock your body?'.

We're going to wham it on a CDR with a fake radio show either side mentioning the website and the releases and just send them out to our list. Encourage them to make a few quid on it by burning it and selling it to friends or getting played in the strangest places (a competition will drive that) and then hope people will come back to the website and the albums.

It's sort of like A chain letter but witht he music being the funny part people have to send on.

Toupé - www.toupe.co.uk

2Bass Players - One drummer - No guitar - NO RULES!

Archived