Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#434088 - 12/03/03 11:45 AM Adding warmth/thickness to vocals
Patrick Walsh Offline

Loc: Paris, France
My voice is kind of high and lush (falsetto-ey and vibrato etc.) and sounds good live, but when I record into my Digi 002 it doesn't sound thick or warm enough. All the wispyness and lushness is retained but I want to beef it up a bit so it sits in the mix nicely with acoustic and electric guitar and bass etc. Is there some plugin I can get that processes the vocals (I was thinking about the Antares Tube Modeling plugin for $99)? Or is there something I can do in mixing like boosting the mids/compression?

I'd really appreciate any suggestions...

Maybe I could run the vocals through my Amplitude amp emulator (instead of buying another plugin)??

- Steven Wright

visit my website at patrickwalsh.net

#434089 - 12/03/03 01:41 PM Re: Adding warmth/thickness to vocals
Barandine Vondenger Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Terra: area 223761-g
Quote:
Originally posted by peugotpigeon:
My voice is kind of high and lush (falsetto-ey and vibrato etc.) and sounds good live, but when I record into my Digi 002 it doesn't sound thick or warm enough. All the wispyness and lushness is retained but I want to beef it up a bit so it sits in the mix nicely with acoustic and electric guitar and bass etc. Is there some plugin I can get that processes the vocals (I was thinking about the Antares Tube Modeling plugin for $99)? Or is there something I can do in mixing like boosting the mids/compression?

I'd really appreciate any suggestions...

Maybe I could run the vocals through my Amplitude amp emulator (instead of buying another plugin)??
try double tracking or even triple tracking your vocals and then stacking them up. mix vocals seperatly from the music too.

#434090 - 12/03/03 01:56 PM Re: Adding warmth/thickness to vocals
rebonn Offline

Loc: Blairsville, Ga,
Lokk into PSPs vintage warmer and Steinbergs Magneto plugins and the Distressor hardware compressor.

#434091 - 12/03/03 02:05 PM Re: Adding warmth/thickness to vocals
Kris Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Tallahassee, Florida
What mic are you using? You might want to audition some mics to see what will compliment your voice in the manner you are looking for...

http://www.logcabinmusic.com updated 11/9/04

#434092 - 12/03/03 02:07 PM Re: Adding warmth/thickness to vocals
henryrobinett Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Sacramento,CA,UNITED STATES
Vintage Warmer is good. I'm not familar with the other thing you suggested. The LA2A brings a lot of big warmth for me to vocals. Either the real deal or the UAD-1 version. I was never a real fan of the BF version, but that works too. There's just a little more "cloud" in their plug-in for me. The distortion there, probably to help emulate the vintage compressor, is too much for me. The the UAD is Da' Bomb.

Henry Robinett

#434093 - 12/03/03 03:44 PM Re: Adding warmth/thickness to vocals
RKrizman Offline

Loc: Venice, CA
Quote:
Originally posted by peugotpigeon:
[QB]My voice is kind of high and lush (falsetto-ey and vibrato etc.) and sounds good live, but when I record into my Digi 002 it doesn't sound thick or warm enough. All the wispyness and lushness is retained but I want to beef it up a bit so it sits in the mix nicely with acoustic and electric guitar and bass etc.
The first question is what mic and preamp are you using.

-R