Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#434081 - 12/02/03 07:48 PM Behringer DEQ-2496 Ultra-Curve Pro
zele Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: carmel,CA,UNITED STATES
So is this a easy to-use condensed quality version of a Finalizer/DBX Quantum...produced in China...(for a unbelievable price)... a fairly decent quality EQ /COmp/RTA in a box??

#434082 - 12/03/03 02:35 AM Re: Behringer DEQ-2496 Ultra-Curve Pro
where02190 Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Weymouth, Ma. USA
No, it's anotehr Behringer piece of junk.

NP Recording Studios
Analog approach to digital recording.

#434083 - 12/03/03 03:40 AM Re: Behringer DEQ-2496 Ultra-Curve Pro
kylen Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Southern WV, USA
Quote:
No, it's anotehr Behringer piece of junk.
Hey ! You mean it's ANOTHER Behringer piece of junk. \:D

Anyway I've got one of those - I use the digital I/O and use the 1/6 octave RTA as well as the SPL meters (A or C weighted) and am in the process of playing around with the stacked dynamic parametric eqs, compressors, limiters, etc.

My take on it so far is it's as good as some of the plugins I have but since I'm using it as a kind of 'hardware plugin' it doesn't eat my cpu when I use SONAR. It has it's own sparc processor and 32/40 bit DSP algorithms for eq and dynamics programmed by Behringer I 'spect.

I guess it's kind of like a 'poor man's' UAD-1 for me ! Ha Ha I've never heard a UAD-1 though...

kylen reporting from 'The Garage Studios'

#434084 - 12/03/03 08:49 AM Re: Behringer DEQ-2496 Ultra-Curve Pro
zele Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: carmel,CA,UNITED STATES
Well I have found one--should be here this week-of course what can you expect for a used unit for $200.......than again if Behringer has copied a few areas from TC & DBX >>> found a way to produce it at 1/5 cost (R&D in Germany and assemble in China) this may be a hit!!

#434085 - 12/03/03 10:09 AM Re: Behringer DEQ-2496 Ultra-Curve Pro
where02190 Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Weymouth, Ma. USA
Yes another, sorry for the typo. As I get older my typing suffers more than usual it seems.

NP Recording Studios
Analog approach to digital recording.

#434086 - 12/03/03 12:46 PM Re: Behringer DEQ-2496 Ultra-Curve Pro
kylen Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Southern WV, USA
where - I just type in the important letters most of the time and have to come back in and edit anyway ! Ha Ha

zele - DEQ2496 has some of the dbx features and more. I'm trying to determine how good the algorithms sound now - the DSP is comparable to what I have in Cool Edit Pro when I'm using 32 bit wave files - I don't know what Sonar internal bit length is, hopefully better than 24bit.

I could've used the dynamic eq feature on the last project I did where there were seperate 'narrow' vocal and guitar resonances. I could've picked them off with the 1/10 octave dynamic eqs (you get 3 of these per channel), set a threshold about 30% of the size of the dynamic resonance (the RTA would tell me that info) let it rip for the entire song - repair complete !

$200 bucks is a good price for sure - I paid $289 at Guitar Center and am making sure all the features work - the analog ins (which I don't use) cut out on me once already. I pumped the inputs up then then the input signal came back - uh oh !@#!

Anyway the thing uses ADK chipset - there's a rundown in this thread:
http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=17;t=003989

Have fun DEQ2496ing !
kylen