Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#434056 - 12/02/03 01:16 AM Anyone using the new Apple 12” powerbook for audio?
Aryeh Offline

Loc: NYC
Anyone using the new Apple 12” powerbook for audio?

I’ll be running DP, Logic, Mach 5…
And mostly playing back midi files striped to an external firewire drive while recording vocals, a track at a time.

My main concern is screen real estate.
I wonder if Apple’s “expose” will be of any real help.
Also, I intend to plug into a second monitor when working at home.
Note: I have had cornea transplants and tend to work at the 800 by 600 something resolution – even on desktop machines.

Otherwise, it seems that the principal performance advantage with the 15” & 17” over the 12” is faster ram and a faster bus. From what I can gleam, real world performance shouldn’t be all that much better on the bigger (and heavier) machines.

Looking forward to your feedback.

Peace,

Aryeh
http://www.Har-Even.com

PS Was going to purchase the 15” 1Gig but have decided not to because of all the problems with the “white spots” on the screen, defective latch… (Check the message boards at Apple.com & Macrumors.com and let the buyer beware! In fact, from what I hear, Apple hasn't shipped a new machine in over a month - just clearing old stock.)

#434057 - 12/02/03 02:14 AM Re: Anyone using the new Apple 12” powerbook for audio?
vibrolux40w Offline

I am using a 1ghz 12" and I love it. Its not a powerhouse by any means, but it is ample. Youre not going to be mixing any 32 track songs with plugs everywhere, but you can get things done with it. I think Logic is the best route with the Freeze track option.

#434058 - 12/02/03 03:39 PM Re: Anyone using the new Apple 12” powerbook for audio?
Loco Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Miami Beach,FL,UNITED STATES
Using it with DP and loving it. I use it also for driving reverbs (altiverb anyone?) when mixing. Just beautiful.

#434059 - 12/03/03 06:51 PM Re: Anyone using the new Apple 12” powerbook for audio?
Albert Offline

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
I've been looking at that 12" Powerbook as well, for use when travelling and as a Mach 5 sampler when at home. What kind of track/plugin counts are you getting on it?