Music Player Network

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Problem with routing with a digital mixer and DAW #434043 11/30/03 12:21 AM
System 8 Offline OP
OP Offline
I can route all my channels from my DAW back into my digital mixer. Then I can add effects and EQ from my digital mixer to the different tracks. However when I play it back through the master bus, I hear the music through the track and master track. I also do not hear the effects going through the master track like I did when I just listened to it through the track by itself.

Let me step back and explain. I record in Cubase and each channel is on different bus so I can put them back into my digital mixer. Channel 1 & 2 in Cubase is Bus 2 (stereo bus). Channel 3 & 4 on Bus 3 etc. When it is routed back to my digital mixer, I have channel 1 for instance routed to channel one and channel two routed to channel 2 in my digital mixer. I then can add effects from my digial mixer.

The problem occurs when I route the tracks back into my DAW. I would assume you would work pretty similar with any digial mixer and DAW. Routing all the tracks to the master bus in your DAW. But when I do this, I don't hear the effects I added and I hear the tracks twice. Once from the tracks they were recorded on and once throught the master track. (Note on each track in my DAW I used the "send" to assign each track to Bus 1 as well.) This was done since all the tracks are originally asisgned to different busses on the bottom of the fader for routing. When you assign it to bus 1 in the send you will then have all your tracks going back to the master fader.

I have a feeling I am doing this wrong. Am I suppose to just create a new stereo bus and have my master outputs from my digital mixer go to this track. Then have the new track go to Bus 1 & 2? I just tried this and cannot get a signal from my Bus 23 only Bus 24 in Cubase routing it to Bus 1 on both.

The main problem is the routing from the digital mixer. I had channel 1 assigned to bus 1 as a destination bus. However I recently tried having it go to bus 15 & 16 which is going to my main Bus 1 in Cubase, but it still is not right.

Re: Problem with routing with a digital mixer and DAW #434044 11/30/03 04:11 AM
Philip O'Keefe Offline
10k Club
10k Club
What board are you using and what audio interface for your DAW? And how many channels do you need to send in each direction?

Phil O'Keefe
Sound Sanctuary Recording
Riverside CA
http://www.ssrstudio.com
http://www.philokeefe.com
pokeefe777@ssrstudio.com
My New Forum on Harmony-Central
Re: Problem with routing with a digital mixer and DAW #434045 11/30/03 04:34 AM
System 8 Offline OP
OP Offline
I am using the Behringer DDX3216 with an RME card with 2 ADAT cards in the Behringer for a total of 24 channels. I am running it with Cubase SX.