Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#434043 - 11/29/03 07:21 PM Problem with routing with a digital mixer and DAW
System 8 Offline

I can route all my channels from my DAW back into my digital mixer. Then I can add effects and EQ from my digital mixer to the different tracks. However when I play it back through the master bus, I hear the music through the track and master track. I also do not hear the effects going through the master track like I did when I just listened to it through the track by itself.

Let me step back and explain. I record in Cubase and each channel is on different bus so I can put them back into my digital mixer. Channel 1 & 2 in Cubase is Bus 2 (stereo bus). Channel 3 & 4 on Bus 3 etc. When it is routed back to my digital mixer, I have channel 1 for instance routed to channel one and channel two routed to channel 2 in my digital mixer. I then can add effects from my digial mixer.

The problem occurs when I route the tracks back into my DAW. I would assume you would work pretty similar with any digial mixer and DAW. Routing all the tracks to the master bus in your DAW. But when I do this, I don't hear the effects I added and I hear the tracks twice. Once from the tracks they were recorded on and once throught the master track. (Note on each track in my DAW I used the "send" to assign each track to Bus 1 as well.) This was done since all the tracks are originally asisgned to different busses on the bottom of the fader for routing. When you assign it to bus 1 in the send you will then have all your tracks going back to the master fader.

I have a feeling I am doing this wrong. Am I suppose to just create a new stereo bus and have my master outputs from my digital mixer go to this track. Then have the new track go to Bus 1 & 2? I just tried this and cannot get a signal from my Bus 23 only Bus 24 in Cubase routing it to Bus 1 on both.

The main problem is the routing from the digital mixer. I had channel 1 assigned to bus 1 as a destination bus. However I recently tried having it go to bus 15 & 16 which is going to my main Bus 1 in Cubase, but it still is not right.

#434044 - 11/29/03 11:11 PM Re: Problem with routing with a digital mixer and DAW
Philip O'Keefe Offline
10k Club

Loc: Riverside,CA,UNITED STATES
What board are you using and what audio interface for your DAW? And how many channels do you need to send in each direction?
http://www.ssrstudio.com
http://www.philokeefe.com
pokeefe777@ssrstudio.com
My New Forum on Harmony-Central

#434045 - 11/29/03 11:34 PM Re: Problem with routing with a digital mixer and DAW
System 8 Offline

I am using the Behringer DDX3216 with an RME card with 2 ADAT cards in the Behringer for a total of 24 channels. I am running it with Cubase SX.