Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#434021 - 11/24/03 06:25 PM Radio Ad Production Help
victorylife Offline

Loc: Durant,OK,UNITED STATES
Hi guys-
I'm thinking of getting into radio production. I've used pro tools extensively doing albums, demos, and other things. Do you know of any resources online or in print that would give an intro into radio commercial production? From generating music beds to cool engineering techniques. Any advice would be helpful!
Thanks!

#434022 - 11/25/03 08:03 PM Re: Radio Ad Production Help
KnightShow Offline

Loc: Hollywood,CA ,UNITED STATES
Try going to Amazon and doing a search for "radio advertising" or "radio commercial"... i know there are a few books there. Be aware though, creating radio commercials is a lot different than creating music. And creating GOOD radio commercials is probably the hardest thing you'll ever do.

#434023 - 11/26/03 03:13 AM Re: Radio Ad Production Help
E-Lambo Offline
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally posted by KnightShow:
Be aware though, creating radio commercials is a lot different than creating music. And creating GOOD radio commercials is probably the hardest thing you'll ever do.
I don't know about that. If by "radio commercials" you mean recording and editing dialogue, then you're right. But creating music for radio isn't such a different animal than music for albums. I've done both ad work and album work for over ten years and there's not such a thick line between the two. You're hands may be tied a bit tighter with advertising and all the layers of approval that are always involved, but do you think many artists feel a sense of artistic freedom as long as there's a label involved? Whether you're working for General Motors or Dreamworks Records, there's an expectation for the music you deliver and you're expected to provide it.

But, again, if you're talking about recording voice-over and sound effects then the two are definitely NOT the same.

More to the point - I don't know of any books that explain the ins and outs of the radio production business, but books must exist. Amazon.com is a good recommendation.

#434024 - 11/26/03 02:34 PM Re: Radio Ad Production Help
Astrain Offline

Loc: hermosillo,,MEXICO
as E-Lambo said , producing jingles or music for audiovisuals or for another commercial use isnt that different from making or producing music for artistic purposes. But producing and recording voice over is different, you first of all need to be sure that what you record and i mean the voice, is going to be understandable in any equipment and in any enviroment that is going to be heard, your giving a message and if the message isnt audible clear than you arent doing a good job no matter if it sound great in your studio.

I will recommend a sennheiser 416 p48, neumann u87, a completely death room (no reverb, and sealed from external sounds), waves plug-ins, a good converter. and at least two pairs of speaker one being very nice and the other pair something cheap, also dont forget to check that your production is mono compatible.

my.2cents

#434025 - 11/26/03 07:35 PM Re: Radio Ad Production Help
Timmy2000 Offline

Loc: Sheffield,,UNITED KINGDOM
Making radio ads is my day job and to me it seems so much easier than mixing music. I'm guess that radio in the US is probably quite different from the UK (what with Clear Channel owning half the stations) but here's how it works over here.

Reasonable size stations tend to have a creative team consisting of copy writers and producers who make ads for their (and sometimes other) stations. Smaller stations may just have a writer or get a sales person to write the scripts and then farm the production out. Small advertising agencies tend to work this way as well. If you plan on working for yourself, that could be where you come in.

If you don't have a fancy studio that can accomodate and impress clients, this is probably the main type of work you would get. The downside to this is these companies tend not to care about quality, they just want it quick and cheap. If on the other hand you have nice premises, with a voice booth (and once you've got a decent showreel of ads to impress them with) you might start targetting the bigger agencies with bigger budgets.