Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#434010 - 11/24/03 04:00 PM OS X questions
Vex Offline

Loc: somewhere
Hi there,
We are about to do a huge upgrade, everything from hardware to consoles and CPU's. Currently running (please don't laugh - it's been very stable!) Mac OS 9.0.4 with ProTools 24 Mix Plus, and we are going to go to HD with Accel - hopefully before the year is out. 2 questions...
#1 Leaning towards G5's. Are they solid with PT? Or would I be better off getting a G4?
#2 In OS9 ideally it's a bare bones system - no apps other than PT due to extension conflicts. Although there aren't any more extension conflicts with OS X, is it still safer to keep the apps minimal? I'm talking not even internet or email on these systems.
Thanks for any input!
Vex

#434011 - 11/24/03 11:09 PM Re: OS X questions
Loco Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Miami Beach,FL,UNITED STATES
As for Nov 15 digi announced full support on all G5 machines. However, as you know, the problems will never be ironed out. Your 9.0.4 system for sure has some instabilities still.

Don't fool aroun with your working machines. Keep Microsoft out of them, and limit internet as much as possible.

#434012 - 11/24/03 11:39 PM Re: OS X questions
spigots Offline

Loc: Dallas,TX,UNITED STATES
I run a 2 room facility that has been "ready to go" to OS X for 9 months now. During those 9 months, we have been able to really stablize our OS 9 systems. We have (KNOCK ON A GREAT HUGE PIECE OF NICELY CARVERD OAK) not crashed in days on either machine (g4 1.25 dual boot MMD OS 9.2.2, PT 5.3.1 CS6, HD3). There is yet to be that "Killer Application" for us to move up. We manage files well, do decent routine maintenence, and keep abreast of things via the DUC, PTU.org, Musicplayer.com etc. All I keep hearing is that OS X rigs can be slower and that there are still serious issues depending on configs. If you're stable and working, why upgrade? When Digi gives me a feature that knocks my socks off AND can convince me that the -90XX errors and what not are a thing of the past, then I might consider it again.

Sorry for the long ramble,

Frank.

PS. I'm not bashing Digidesign at all. I love their products and have never been happier with the sound, ease of use, palette and quality of 3rd party input, etc. I just think they and everyone else were forced to port to OS X too soon, and now they'll never catch up. But then again I'm just a user, not a computer head, so what do I know?

#434013 - 11/25/03 12:30 AM Re: OS X questions
Philter Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: North New Jersey, USA
I too would say don't upgrade unless you have a specific reason to.

#434014 - 11/25/03 10:40 AM Re: OS X questions
Fat Chance Offline

Loc: Philly UNITED STATES
There's alot of info about upgrading to OSX at this link.

http://www.osxaudio.com/

Peace
Rob

#434015 - 11/25/03 11:19 AM Re: OS X questions
StoneinaPond Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: New York City
From my readings of the DUC, people are having good success with G5 and HD.

It is in Digi's interest to keep their top of the line customers comfortable (although they have on occasion failed to do so,) so I feel they will stay on top of G5 compatibility.

Since you are doing a major overhaul, I would go for a G5. Which one is for something for you to work out with your dealer (I hope you have a good one.) But at this point to go with a G4 seems a little lame to me.

Keep non-audio application off of the computer and I believe you will be set to go.

Best of luck with your upgrade.

"Man will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time he will pick himself up and continue on."

#434016 - 11/26/03 03:04 AM Re: OS X questions
E-Lambo Offline
Gold Member

Since when is HD not considered an upgrade over Mix? I just did this last week (888/24 powered MIX+ system in OS9, upgraded to a 192 powered HD system in OSX) and there are MANY advantages to HD. I don't want to go back to OS9 for anything. But then I'm not having any crash problems - maybe some people are.

Go for it when you think the time is right, but keep in mind that HD is clearly better than Mix and ProTools 5.

#434017 - 11/26/03 12:09 PM Re: OS X questions
Vex Offline

Thanks for the replies!
There is no question whether or not we'll upgrade, and I'm really looking forward to it.
E-Lambo, I'll also be going HD 192, and with an Accel card. Are you running other apps along side of PT? Is there anywhere near the amount of voodoo with OS X that there is with OS 9?
Fortunately (or not!) I have 2 rooms to upgrade, so hopefully I can get most of the initial bugs worked out in the B room before doing A. And I will probably keep a Mix Plus rig around for a few weeks 'just in case'.
I am more than likely going to go G5. We've got a great dealer who has been testing PT scenarios on a G5, successfully - except I don't think they've done the ATTO SCSI yet...
thanks!
V

#434018 - 11/27/03 03:14 AM Re: OS X questions
E-Lambo Offline
Gold Member

I'm working with G4s so I can't say how smooth your upgrade will be into a G5. I can say that OSX has been very stable so far on three machines.

Since you plan on having a Mix system running as a backup you should be safe.

#434019 - 11/29/03 02:24 PM Re: OS X questions
ptuzer Offline

Loc: Toronto
I really think one should wait for a few months for G5 upgrade till everything gets updated. Next summer Jobs promised a Dual 3 Gig (probably for the same cost as todays 2X gig).
The same think happened when the Dual 500 G4 came out people upgraded only to find things really did not work fully till the Dual 1 Gig came out.
I would ONLY buy a G5 today if you have to. ie New system not an upgrade.

#434020 - 12/02/03 12:40 PM Re: OS X questions
Vex Offline

Hey!
Just an update, if anyone's interested...
The G4 has 4 open pci slots, while the G5 has 3 (I think). So, to go G4 I will not need an expansion chassis anymore - SCSI card, HD Core, and then 2 Accel cards... right? And no SCSI with G5 as of today anyway. But how are track counts with FW? I know what Digi says, but what are users actually able to get? Thanks again!
V