Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#433931 - 11/17/03 05:54 AM Recording DIDGERIDOO
Productions diji [meeks] Offline

Loc: Montreal
Hi!

Is their anybody here who have recorded a Didge and find a way to make it sound like it is in live situation? I found that the whole quality and impression of the sound don't come to my speaker

Here is what I've tried:

-KSM 44 Unidirectionel at 6, 12 and 30 inches +
-SM 81 at 3 feet at 45 degres from the floor (some time wood, ciment or carpet)

Not good as I expected...

-Beta 86 at 2 feet, just in front at 1 feet from the floor
-SM 57 at 8 inches and at 1 feet from the floor
-I've played with the balance and take advantage of the Phase between both to shape the sound

In a old bathub, ... you know the one in full metal.. on litle feet. It boost the bass and a lot of harmonic sound pretty nice
-B3 Uni, Omni or figure 8 (for MS with the 57) at 1 feet from the didge and 6, 21 and 20 inches from the floor of the bath.. in the bath (sory for my bad english, I'm a french Canadian )
-SM 57 at the same distance, 1/8 inche from the B3 (for the MS take)
Switch the phase of the figure 8 and pan in the center with the unidirectional)

I was playing my didgeridoo inside my Conga and the sound was nice. Differents vibrations and harmonique can be made that you don't ear whit out the resonance box.
-Maybe if I put some PZM on it? Do anybody have try PZM with didgeridoo?

Do any one have a killer sound that is representative of the reality.

Maybe its because the vibration that its make in my head, the way that I ear it when I play, can never be fully captured

So.. maybe mix the MS with to mic LR on my throat to get more of the Voice Vibrations, shout and mouth resonance. Some resonance are more in the left of my mouth or vis versa. Mabe that whats missing...

Its hard to find help with that... its not an instrument that every body have record

*Ring modulator, vocoder, amp simulations, rotary speaker FX, resonant filters make something realy refreshing on didgeridoo loops. Its easy to make it sound dirty to get more crunch on a groove!

Tip of the day:
The Greatest Thing in This World,
Its noT So MuCh WhERE wE are
But in what direction we are MOVING

#433932 - 11/17/03 06:52 AM Re: Recording DIDGERIDOO
Mats Olsson. Offline
10k Club

Loc: Eskilstuna,,SWEDEN
Have you tried to record it in stereo?

No guarantee that it would work, what I would try: using a distance of 3-6 feet, XY using cardiod condenser microphones or Blumlein using ribbons.

/Mats

PS
Cross-posting is not good.

What do we want? Procrastination!
When do we want it? Later!

#433933 - 11/17/03 01:35 PM Re: Recording DIDGERIDOO
Loco Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Miami Beach,FL,UNITED STATES
Quote:
Originally posted by Productions diji [meeks]:
Maybe its because the vibration that its make in my head, the way that I ear it when I play, can never be fully captured

So.. maybe mix the MS with to mic LR on my throat to get more of the Voice Vibrations, shout and mouth resonance. Some resonance are more in the left of my mouth or vis versa. Mabe that whats missing...
Have you tried putting the micrphone pair by your head in a binaural array? That's the losest you can get to what you actually hear when playing it.

#433934 - 11/17/03 03:34 PM Re: Recording DIDGERIDOO
philbo_Tangent Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Iowa
Consider trying a pair of omni SD condenser mics spaced 60 deg apart about 6 feet from the instrument.

#433935 - 11/17/03 03:41 PM Re: Recording DIDGERIDOO

Thanks guys!

I would try your precious tips on my next session, as soon as I can between two jobs

Keep you in toutch

#433936 - 11/26/03 05:06 AM Re: Recording DIDGERIDOO
didjitaldu Offline

Loc: ,,UNITED STATES
Dominic,

I know what you're going through! You will never be able to get the sound you hear in your head while playing (I don't mean in your mind. I mean literally in your head!) because, as you know, your whole head and upper body is vibrating. But here are some tips.

Most important: find a nice, resonant surface to play on. Carpet is no good. Sometimes a stairway works well. I have a wooden topped isolation cabinet that works well. A corner really amplifies the bottom end; sometimes too much. If nothing else, get a heavy piece of plywood. Get it sounding right in the room first.

You do not want that spitty sound that comes from a condenser aimed at the bell. I've had a U87 work OK when miking the space but that's not going to get that "in your head" sound! It'll get more of an ambient sound; like what other people hear. I've had much better luck with dynamics a little distance off the bell but at an angle. Believe it or not, the best sounding dynamic I've heard is an old EV664. I've tried an RE20, 421, SM56 and they were all terrible! Condensers were worse. An old D12 was not bad but didn't get the nice midrange of the 664. I think the limited frequency response of the 664 helps because I always find myself filtering out a gentle slope on the bottom and a bit on the top. Also, find the resonance frequency of the particular didge you're recording (everyone is different) and dip it out a bit. That one frequency can become overpowering.

If you're mixing it in with other instruments then you have to really limit the frequency range. If there is a bass instrument you have to make sure it works with the arrangement and then carve out space for the didge from the bass instrument. Accentuate the midrange of the didge with a very gentle curve: that's where the real interesting harmonic content is; not the bass. Compression can be fun but now we're getting away from that sound in your head... Speaking of which, keep your record levels pretty low on the drone because when you "bark" or hit an overtone you'll run out of headroom in a hurry.

Ambience can be a nice enhancement but try NOT using a long, cavernous reverb! I guess that's one of my pet peeves; I get so tired of hearing the didge swimming in reverb... As you know, it's an outside instrument (like the bagpipes!).

Good luck and let me know how you progress!

Randy Rood
Emeryville Recording Co.

#433937 - 11/26/03 09:55 AM Re: Recording DIDGERIDOO

Wow!

Kind find anything to say but a big: Thank you! Realy help me out!

Keep you in toutch!

Have a realy nice day!

#433938 - 12/01/03 01:03 PM Re: Recording DIDGERIDOO
DP3 Offline

I have found to capture the detail, breath and a nice low end to have whatever mic you use right at the end of the didge, like 2" or so. Unless you want the room to be a part of the sound. I've recorded alot of didges over the years, distant mic'ing doesn't do it for me.