Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#433887 - 11/13/03 12:02 AM CD Replication or Duplication?
trailermusic_dup1 Offline

Loc: Santa Monica,CA,UNITED STATES
Well, we've gone through the A/B/C/D-ing processes of the best sounding burners, the best speeds, and the best brand of CD's for our release. We've made our choice there.

The final piece of the possible is: do we duplicate or replicate for our multi-CD run of 1000 copies?

Anyone done the research and/or have the experience with both copying processes? We're going for the better sound....

trailermusic

#433888 - 11/13/03 10:42 AM Re: CD Replication or Duplication?
miroslav Offline
Cosmic Cowboy
10k Club

Loc: NY Hudson Valley, USA
You may find that since you are doing only 1000 CD's...no one will want to stamp them...which is usually done with larger runs...and is more costly since the masters have to be made...and they need to be made from "error free" sources.

Burning is fine...I just wouldn't do it with a single burner running non-stop.
Most good duplication houses have multiple bays, so they burn many CD's at one time.

"Just because it happened to you, it doesn't mean it's important."

#433889 - 11/13/03 06:25 PM Re: CD Replication or Duplication?

Actually, the replication I'm looking into involves creatin a glass master from my master, includes all silkscreening on the CD, and actually comes out to less than the duplication costs.

What exactly do you mean by stamping?

trailermusic

#433890 - 11/13/03 06:47 PM Re: CD Replication or Duplication?
StoneinaPond Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: New York City
Absolutely go for replication (I assume by this you mean go to a "pressing" plant as oppossed to a duplication house.)

Your CD will last longer and look like the real thing because they will be the real thing. And many places will do a 1000 run.

"Man will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time he will pick himself up and continue on."

#433891 - 11/14/03 12:09 PM Re: CD Replication or Duplication?
miroslav Offline
Cosmic Cowboy
10k Club

Quote:
Originally posted by trailermusic:

What exactly do you mean by stamping?
What StoneinaPond said...

stamping=pressing VS. burning

Stone,

Didn't know they would press small quanitites...
...is it very expensive?

#433892 - 11/14/03 12:28 PM Re: CD Replication or Duplication?
StoneinaPond Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: New York City
Quote:
...is it very expensive?
Hey Miro,

Don't know what you mean by expensive, and I did my pressing about seven years ago, so I think prices have come down from then.

I paid about $1300 for 1000 units, no mastering (did my own) single sheet color insert and dual color CD printing (information on CD) and shrink wrapped. I provided my own artwork which cost me $500.

The thing turned out really well although I would have preffered a slightly better job on the priting of the front-side of the insert. I don't remember if they offered various levels of printing.

But overall, the project came out really well.

Hope this helps.

"Man will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time he will pick himself up and continue on."

#433893 - 11/14/03 05:20 PM Re: CD Replication or Duplication?

I'm paying $1.17 per CD for replication of 1000 units. This includes the cost of all dry goods, printed in 4 color, as well as full color silk screening on the CDs themselves.

I've gotten feedback from a few people, including the plant owner, that says replication is more reliable than duplication when judging the sameness of the product from disc to disc. Also, the audio quality is better.

FWIW, we did some testing on CD brands, and chose Taiyo Yuden. You would not believe the difference between brands of CDs. Every other major brand that we tried introduced some sort of what sounded like compression into a given piece of music (this is orchestral film music and has a wide dynamic range). When the "fff" climax arrives in the cue, substantial amount midrange body is robbed out of the orchestra. Not with the Taiyo Uden. Actually, my mixes sounded better than I remembered after listening to the TY CD as opposed to even listening back through my DAW. A lot more present and musical. Also, one can visibly see the waveform differences between different CD manufacturers and how they handle dynamic range. Shocking, really.

Obviously, we didn't try all the CD brands out there. But the TY beat out TDK, Maxell, and Quantegy.

Also found that the best audio was had running a standalone SCSI CD burner (in our case a La Cie with a Teac engine) at 1x, reading files off an external SCSI drive (as opposed to internal IDE or external Firewire). Again, the differences between these methods were not as minute as one would think.
I knew I was holding onto my old 8600 for some other reason than the floppy dirve... \:D

trailermusic

#433894 - 11/14/03 10:03 PM Re: CD Replication or Duplication?
miroslav Offline
Cosmic Cowboy
10k Club

Quote:
Originally posted by StoneinaPond:
Quote:
...is it very expensive?
Hey Miro,

Don't know what you mean by expensive...
Ahhh...just wondering what the added cost was to have your master transferred to Exabyte or whatever else they need…and then turning that into a glass mater so they can stamp instead of burn.

I guess (forgetting all the graphics stuff)...how much of a cost difference is it to have…say…1000 CDs burned VS. stamped?

It's been awhile since I sent anything out for a 1000 or more...so lately it's just been small 100-200 runs...as needed, but if I ever remove my finger from my ass, that is, if I can acutely get up OFF MY ASS and finish a new CD… \:D
I will probably want to do a nice color insert and silk-screen job on the CD...and also go the stamp/replication method...so I will need to look into current pricing for that VS. the small run, burn/duplication method.

#433895 - 11/29/03 06:34 PM Re: CD Replication or Duplication?
edmann Offline

Loc: MA
SO I would take all of this to mean that one will get inferior results using (for ex) a Primera Bravo Disc Publisher - which will burn and print CDs in lots of 25?

This is what I have been considering - as I have many titles to be released but as a strange and eccentric artist (by commercial standards) - these will sell in small quantities over time.

1000 CDs takes up a lot of space - and require big cash outlay.

thanks in advance - all input greatly appreciated

Ed

#433896 - 11/30/03 03:40 AM Re: CD Replication or Duplication?
Loopy C Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Valyermo,CA,UNITED STATES
This is big request but if you already have the files it would be great for you to post the "climax" section screenshot from the tested media. Sounds like a great "test" section of music. Were the other brands all equal in their "compression" of this section?
Ken Tamplin Mastering