Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 7 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Topic Options
#433877 - 12/02/03 02:40 AM Re: Which company has or had the best opprotunity to compete with Pro Tools?
RKrizman Offline

Loc: Venice, CA
Quote:
Originally posted by Henchman:
Quote:
Originally posted by RKrizman:
[QUOTE]

Can we do this? And if so, can it be in the spirit of fun?

-R
It should always be in the spirit of fun.
Damn straight. If I wanted to suffer all the time I could have been a darn good attorney.

So what about it. Will you make the files available? How about mailing me a Mac-compatible CDRom of whatever kind of files will work with protools. Wave? 44.1 or 48.

I'm checking out some new Adams monitors later this week and it would be fun to have something fresh to run up the flagpole.

Keep in mind that I don't mix other peoples stuff for a living, by and large, so I probably won't be much of a threat. But I do have a sense of how I'd like the tune to sound.

Well?

-R

#433878 - 12/02/03 04:43 AM Re: Which company has or had the best opprotunity to compete with Pro Tools?
Henchman Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Vancouver,,CANADA
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
[QUOTE]

Can we do this? And if so, can it be in the spirit of fun?

-R
It should always be in the spirit of fun.
Damn straight. If I wanted to suffer all the time I could have been a darn good attorney.

So what about it. Will you make the files available? How about mailing me a Mac-compatible CDRom of whatever kind of files will work with protools. Wave? 44.1 or 48.

I'm checking out some new Adams monitors later this week and it would be fun to have something fresh to run up the flagpole.

Keep in mind that I don't mix other peoples stuff for a living, by and large, so I probably won't be much of a threat. But I do have a sense of how I'd like the tune to sound.

Well?

-R
I'm just waiting for a sax player to coem in (hopefully on tuesday) to put a sax on the intro and outro. And I'll create a PT session at work formt he exported fairlight session.

#433879 - 12/02/03 04:59 PM Re: Which company has or had the best opprotunity to compete with Pro Tools?
RKrizman Offline

Loc: Venice, CA
Quote:
[]I'm just waiting for a sax player to coem in (hopefully on tuesday) to put a sax on the intro and outro. And I'll create a PT session at work formt he exported fairlight session.[/QB]
I had thought the tune was finished, but that's cool. E-mail me at RKrizman@aol.com and I'll give you my mailing address.

But who uses saxophones these days?

-R

#433880 - 12/03/03 07:09 PM Re: Which company has or had the best opprotunity to compete with Pro Tools?
popstar Offline
Gold Member

Well, this is an interesting topic, albeit, it's coming about 2-3 years late.

As I have put forth in many threads on many different newsgroups, there is no stopping the ProTools juggernaut. It is and will be the standard format for at least the forseeable future. There is not a single company on the entire planet which could pose any sort of serious threat.

That surely doesn't mean that there are not many other, very worthy products...we've all discussed many of them through various threads. Logic, Nuendo, Radar, etc., etc. But even though these formats might have their supporters and users, if you're asking which company has or had the best opportunity to unseat Digi, the answer is ever so clearly "No such company exists". Digi losing the market will not happen for a long, long time, simply because formats which become so firmly entrenched do not come along very often. Over the last, say, 30 years, did any format actually unseat 2" tape to become THE most widely used format? Probably not...sure there was ADAT and DA88 and Sony 3348 and Mitsu digital, but did any of these actually displace 2" and the most popular format?

Not that we should be unhappy about it totally. After all, ProTools is a great product, all things considered. And, it's only going to improve from here. Mixing within ProTools will become more and more popular, and as more and more engineers become ProTools gurus, our methodry will improve, thus creating better sounding records using the sytem.

The only downside to all of this is that the format is owned by one company. I do consider that to be a considerable downside, but, it is what it is. If you're wondering which company could mount an attack of merit, of course, there is none and won't be for a long, long time...it could be game over in this area of the audio industry until something altogether new comes along.

poPStAr

Page 7 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7