Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

"Earl of Funk" - Earl Van Dyke w/ Funk Brothers

Scoot

I've finally gotten around to the bio part of my "Standing in the Shadows of Motown" book, and it mentions the above album. Anybody familiar with it? The lineup was:

Earl Van Dyke - keys

James Jamerson - bass

Benny Benjamin - drums

Robert White - g*****

With a lineup like that, I'd think it's definitely worth a listen, but from what I can tell, it isn't available on CD. :( Apparently the bass solo on "The Flick" is, well, Jamerson soloing. Enough said. :D

brief synopsis and track listing

Ah, nice marmot.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
All I know is, I learned Earl Van Dyke's name at an early age, because I used to rock out to my parents' copy of Jr. Walker And The All Stars LIVE! The last song was an instrumental called "Heart Break," "Featuring Earl Van Dyke." Since the song was primarily a vehicle for some great greasy soul B3 licks, I guessed correctly that he was the keyboard player. Boy, was he ever. I'm sure that an album with his name on the front would just be absolutely killing. Where, oh where would you get a copy of that?

"I had to have something, and it wasn't there. I couldn't go down the street and buy it, so I built it."

Les Paul

Originally posted by Jode:

Where, oh where would you get a copy of that?

No clue, apparently nobody around here knows either. Mr. Gordy must've kept this one under tight wraps so none of his musicians would get a hit and dare think about a solo career. :(
Ah, nice marmot.

Hrmph. That is one truly, truly killer lineup. Wish I knew where to find those albums...

BTW, on the opening credits of the film "Standing in the Shadows of Motown" is a performance of "The Flick," which apparently the Funk Bros used to play to open shows. (I love the trivia captions on the DVD!) Damn, if that doesn't tell you Jamerson & Van Dyke are in the house, nothing will!

Archived