Print Thread
STUDER D19 MicAD
#426232 01/23/03 07:54 PM
D
OP Offline
D
Hi there
(Also posted in GM's frorum)

I could get a Studer D19 MicAD for quite a good price. I wonder if anybody could share some thoughts about this gear. (It has 8 Mic (or Line) Inputs which get directly converted and can output AES , ADAT, and TDif. There are no direct outs, so you can not use only the Pres and convert with other converters. The Converters are 20 Bits, the Machine was made 1997.

I would love to get only the micpres of that unit and to convert with my own converters (I use HD 192 and Prism's at this time). However thats not possible with that gear. I wonder how good the Studer ADCs are and how "bad" it would be to record only a 20 bit Signal into a 24 bit medium. Theoreticly it if I look for hot levels it should still be enough dynamic to capture my needs (mostly jazzrecordings). It is difficult on the other hand to compare soundqualitywise since I can not hear the ADC's alone...

So if anyone know that machine and has some thoughts to share I would apreciate that

thanks
daniel
http://www.ideeundklang.com

Re: STUDER D19 MicAD
#426233 01/24/03 02:51 PM
K
K
Hi there...
I use D19/8chanells for 4 years with 24bit DAW (Pro Tools). I find D19 as a great preamp and AD converter. The sound is bright, crystal and clear. My personal advice is - buy it. Great tool. I even use it as a reference pre-amp for mic testing.
Reagards
kubapk

#426234 01/24/03 03:56 PM
D
OP Offline
D
Hi kubapk

Thanks for answearing!

Would you say that $ 3'340 is a good price for that unit?

Also with what converter / Preamps have you compare it?

Thanks
daniel

#426235 01/25/03 02:27 PM
Uhh, for over $3000 there is other pre`s you should consider, check out the Great River MP-2NV GT Vipre and many others , you can find them here

'We`re going to ruin a lot of records before we figure out the best way to use Pro Tools'
Jack Joseph Puig
#426236 01/25/03 05:26 PM
D
OP Offline
D
thanks amund

I did not find anything on Fletchers site where I could get a Pre with 8 Channals that would probalby match the Studer pre. A great River with 4 channals would already be $3000. The Studer however has 8 Channals, and the D19 Studer pres for shure are topnoch. (they come stock with the 950 Digital Studer Console. ) Moreover the Converters are right in the box, and although they are only 20 Bit, I am sure they should be fine as well, and there are advantages to have the AD in the same box as the Pre.

Do you actually know the D19 micAD and find that it was not a good unit? I would like to hear more then.

Thanks
daniel

#426237 01/25/03 09:08 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Daniel_Dettwiler:
thanks amund

I did not find anything on Fletchers site where I could get a Pre with 8 Channals that would probalby match the Studer pre. A great River with 4 channals would already be $3000. The Studer however has 8 Channals, and the D19 Studer pres for shure are topnoch. (they come stock with the 950 Digital Studer Console. ) Moreover the Converters are right in the box, and although they are only 20 Bit, I am sure they should be fine as well, and there are advantages to have the AD in the same box as the Pre.

Do you actually know the D19 micAD and find that it was not a good unit? I would like to hear more then.

Thanks
daniel
I have no experience with the D19, but others have (Fletcher), and when he says something sucks ,I believe him....
I believe in buying gear that I will keep forever, with proven technology that won`t be outdated next year.
The Studer WILL be "outdated" pretty soon....
Here`s a link with some advice on the D19:
link

'We`re going to ruin a lot of records before we figure out the best way to use Pro Tools'
Jack Joseph Puig
#426238 01/26/03 01:09 AM
D
OP Offline
D
I see, but they are talking about the D19 dual Valve MicPre AD with EQ, thats completly another machine. Mine is the D19 MicAD (8 Channals Mic Pre and AD).

But also the D19 Dual Valve which was mentioned in this trread you pointed me was a great option used for $1100 (I know this machine very good) and I hope the guy did not listen to fletcher's quite useless comment. Some dealers just dislike everything they do not cary... I am not holding anything on statements like those...

Thanks anyway
daniel

#426239 01/26/03 02:30 AM
Quote:
. Some dealers just dislike everything they do not cary... I am not holding anything on statements like those...

Thanks anyway
daniel
Fletcher isn`t one of these, I can assure you, if you have been around here for a while , you should know that....
You seem to have already made up your mind to buy this box, but read what you wrote:

"There are no direct outs, so you can not use only the Pres and convert with other converters"

That`s a pretty hefty drawback if you ask me, you`re forced to use the converters forever!
You already have a decent set of converters, why not spend the money on something that will be useful for the rest of your recording career?
You may not get 8 ch of pre`s, but you can get 4 ch`s of GML pre`s or 4 of John Hardy pre`s , both universally proven and liked by most engineers.
I would hate to see you spend your hard earned cash on something that WILL eventually make you regret it.

Yeah , 8 channels of micpre`s and converters looks like a good deal for $3,3K now, but when you try to sell it for $400 in five years and nobody responds, you`ll be sorry....
On the other hand , a GML or Hardy or API you will probably never even consider to sell......

I`m just trying to get you to think long and hard about buying this unit, I have done mistakse like this myself and have learned my lesson.

Doing a Google search, there wasn`t much to find, but at least a couple of guys wasn`t too impressed with it, one guy liked it too. The good stuff is always pretty easy to find info about, also the bad stuff. At best, the D19 is probably in the middle of there somewhere.

Best of luck

Amund

Jack Joseph Puig
#426240 01/26/03 01:45 PM
D
OP Offline
D
Quote:
Fletcher isn`t one of these, I can assure you, if you have been around here for a while , you should know that....
You seem to have already made up your mind to buy this box, but read what you wrote:
Not at all, actually I am really sceptic about the unit, mainly (as you pointed correctly to my first post in the thread) because the converters are fixed in. (I do not agree with you on fletchers opignion, but that does not make anything to the game here:-)

I already have a GML 4 channal, and it was quite a bit more than $3K ! The hardy I was thinking to get a year ago, maybe I will some days. I do not have particullar need of a pre or converter actually. I just thought it would be nice to have a 8 channal box, if it is a great box.

Honestly I have not yet made my mind wheter $3'500 is a great deal or not, and if I go for it. You mentioned you found something on google, could you share some links? I did only find official pages about the D19 micAD.

Probably I will just test the unit in a session and see how it holds against the GML/Digi192 Combo.

Thanks
daniel

#426241 01/26/03 02:33 PM
Here`s what I found on Google: links

The 4ch. GML is actually $2750
at Mercenary, but if you bought it in Switzerland, it was probably more expensive there......

Hell, the best is of course to try the unit, and if you like it and accept to live with it`s "shortcomings" so be it .

$3500 IS a lot of money, I would rater spend them on some good compressors, or a mic(or several), but that of course depends on what you already got......

You should use it on a session , and if you feel you can`t live without it , go for it!
If you have the slightest doubt(after trying it), steer away....

Amund

\:\)

Jack Joseph Puig
#426242 01/26/03 03:07 PM
D
OP Offline
D
Quote:
at Mercenary, but if you bought it in Switzerland, it was probably more expensive there......
$2750 ? Please tell me that this price is without the powersuppley. If so, it is still a great price!

Thanks for the links, don't laugh, but I did not know that you can search for things in useergroups in the searchengines! :-) Great

Thanks
daniel

#426243 01/26/03 04:22 PM
Quote:
Quote:
$2750 ? Please tell me that this price is without the powersuppley. If so, it is still a great price!

Thanks for the links, don't laugh, but I did not know that you can search for things in useergroups in the searchengines! :-) Great

Thanks
daniel
$3250 with the PSU!
Pretty good price.....

Google is amazing, you can find almost anything there....

Amund

Jack Joseph Puig

Link Copied to Clipboard