Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Newbie Question

NO PULSE

Hi, Let me first say that I found this board while looking for a bass buyers guide (with no such luck), and I also went at least 7 pages deep to see if anyone else had asked the question(s) im going to ask. Most people were looking to 'upgrade' from one bass to another and not really starting from where im at.

I've always wanted to learn the bass for at least close to 10 years, but never really got into it. Im now looking for a new hobby that will take me away from my computer (too many computer type hobbies at the moment).

Ive seen people say 'go to a store, and play the bass you like best and that sounds best.' But for someone who's completely new to this experience, im not so sure i'll know what sounds good compared to what may not.

Basically, I'll need some kind of bass. I dont really want to spend more than $500 (unless I really have to).

So, here's my question: What do you guys recommend bass wise, speaker wise, etc...

I was told that a Fender was a good place to start "not a Squire".

I plan on taking some lessons and learning as much as I can, so i guess this is the first step before I actually have to start paying someone to answer questions :)

Thanks for your time in advance!

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Others will probably chime in w/ this same answer: A Made In Mexico Fender. They're pretty inexpensive, and as good or better then anything else for that cost. As far as an amp goes, you'll get as many different answers as you will replies. I'd do this: Go to the store and play the Mexican Fender w/o an amp and see what feels and sounds best. Then start plugging into amps w/ your bass of choice. You should be able to get a good practice amp for around $200. A big thing to check w/ practice amps is how they sound reproducing your lowest notes (because they don't have much power, the lower notes will often distort), so pay attention to that. Don't be afraid to ask questions in the stores either, those music store workers love to feel smart when they get asked easy questions.

I know it wasn't the perfect answer you were looking for; but even if you aren't experienced w/ playing, you're already experienced with listening so you might as well start trusting your ears right now.

Hope that helps

Ah, nice marmot.

Welcome Newbie!

I'm here to greet you with a "slightly grumpy" response.

You say you have wanted to learn bass for the last ten years and now you are doing all kinds of research to find the best bass, amplifier and speaker for yourself.

My recommendation is:

Go buy the first bass you see, quit fooling around, you can do the research later when you get your second bass.

There's nothing wrong with a $200 Squier or any piece of pawnshop junk to learn on and see if you like it, have any aptitude for it, etc. As far as amplifiers, all you need is something to hear yourself, brand is totally irrelevant.

Just walk into any store, buy the first thing you see and START PLAYING.

Then you can join the wonderful world of bass playing, read the forum everyday, buy all the magazines, etc.

We'll be glad to have you as a member of our fraternity, but first JUST GO AND BUY A BASS!

It's really not that big a deal.

Good Luck!

Welcome to this spot, No Pulse.

You'll find that this is a very friendly, and user friendly place. My friend, Jeremy, is very friendly. He is the self-appointed first-post flamer...you got off gently! He has earned this title by being a profound and deep thinker and great bassist. :D:D:D

I do echo his comments. You don't need to buy the ultimate bass. There's a thread somewhere around here, lessee...I'll look

First bass post ; this is where a lot of us talked about the junk and non-junk we started on.

I would only add...get new strings, probably .45's, make sure the bass ain't too noisy and you can adjust the action....tuning knobs turn smoothly and no noise comes out when you turn the pots. Also, spring for a professional set=up when you start.

Ibanez and Fender and Yamaha make pretty good starter basses when purchased new. Used basses are great...you can get some real bargains in pawn shops; you can also get stung pretty badly. If you find one, before you buy it, ask us here in this topic.

I also agree with Jeremy for an amp. Way back in 1975 I practiced on a vintage Fender Champ Amp, a guitar amp and I pretty much blew the speaker...and that amp is a valuable collector's item. (I've since had it reconed with antique voice coil!)

I performed sometimes with a Heathkit guitar amp. Other times I used a 10 watt practice amp driving a Leslie organ speaker (pretty dim) My first bass amp was a Silvertone with 2 15"s...Radio Shack speakers. It was years before I bought a legitimate bass amp.

For you, being used to spending money, I'll make a great recommendation...I only wish I had something this good....the Fender Bassman 25...wedge shaped amp. For less than $300, it's phenomenal.

Get the Bassman and an $200 Ibanez and you will be where I was after 8 years of playing! I only wish.....

"Let's raise the level of this conversation" -- Jeremy Cohen, in the Picasso Thread.

Still spendin' that political capital far faster than I can earn it...stretched way out on a limb here and looking for a better interest rate.

Welcome, and good luck.

I agree with my fellows above and concur with their comments:

In your situation, looking for a first bass and learning how to play, I would recommend looking at something along the lines of a Samick, Washburn, Ibanez, or Yamaha. Buy something that says "Made in Korea." I'd go with a Korean-made Samick Jazz Bass knock-off over a Mexican-made Fender any day. This is my personal opinion, but when you're buying budget, don't pay for the name.

Also, buy something traditional, like a Jazz Bass or Precision Bass copy. It's a great way to start.

By the way, I still own my Samick P-Bass copy, the first bass I ever owned.

I got to say Ibanez on this one. Mexican made Fenders are good but i love the Ibanez basses, i've got an American Fender Jazz and a G&L 5 and i still find myself going back to play it. So Ibanez sr700 if you can get it. :thu:
"I am just an instrument cos the lord is playing this funk"-T.M Stevens

The first bass I ever had was a "defretted" 4 string shortneck Peavey I got for $10 from a friend of mine in high school.

The amp was something I cobbled together from old hi fi stereo loudspeaker box and an old 15 watt tube PA amplifier I got at a flea market for $25.

It was good enough to learn and experiment on for quite a long time and wasn't too loud to piss my parents off!

Beware the lollipop of mediocrity; one lick and you suck forever.

Thanks for all the info guys I really appreciate it!

Another question though:

Are packages like these just junk?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/sid=030712173605068066133086258065/g=bass/s=electric/search/detail/base_id/45029

Looks to be the cheap way to go, but im not sure if that equipment is so 'cheap' that it may just put me off from wanting to play.

I used a Yamaha RBX-170 to do some paying gigs back over the winter. If you're unsure what this means, the RBX-170 is just about the cheapest entry level bass Yamaha sells.

Still, it felt and worked well enough for most small jobs. It was far from perfect though, especially when plugged into a 5 kw PA and the stage lights came up (lots of hum pickup).

New, it cost me about $220 (taxes included), and I had to shield the cavity and replace the crappy tuner gears with steel gears.

Beware the lollipop of mediocrity; one lick and you suck forever.

Thanks.

Looks like im going to go with the Fender P-Bass (i believe im using the right name). Along with the amp that was mentioned.

It may take me a while to get though.

What other things will i need to get that you guys can recommend? A tuner? A stand? Hardcase or gigbag? Any books or any Tabs that should be good/easy to pick up?

I'll echo Jeremy's attitude with the "go cheap for now" sentiments... I promise you'll find plenty of high end gear to lust after once you've had a chance to thump away at the basics for a while.

On accessories?... things that'll come in handy:

any cheap tuner (around $10)

any cheap stand - be sure your bass fits (around $10-20)

a 10 foot instrument cable or thereabouts ($10-20)

new strings (can range from around $10-$100.. I use DR Fatbeams - $30)

a metronome is always a good idea ($?)

chances are your bass will come with a gigbag or case of some sort.. if not, you can find gigbags for $20

LESSONS! prices range, but they're invaluable to a player of any level of expertise.. specifically a beginner. Cannot stress this enough... learn the basics the right way and you'll be leaps and bounds ahead of alot of other players.

Oh, and WELCOME TO THE LOWDOWN!

-Mike

...simply stating.

So, i should not even worry about the strings that come with the bass and just get new ones?

I think im going to go browse around today. Cant do too much sleeping right now because of the construction on my condo.

Thanks for the info! it is greatly appreciated!! :thu:

Well, not necessarily (re: strings)

Take a look at 'em when you get the bass and judge for yourself... If they appear to be clean, shiny all round, thump on 'em a bit. If you can deal with 'em, by all means give those a few months, then swap 'em out for a new set. Chances are you'll hear a big difference when you change strings for the first time. Also, when you buy the bass, try to find out what kind of strings are currently on it and how long they've been there. (Just in case they give you the sound you grow to like.) But I definitely suggest swapping strings after a month or so of playing the stock ones, just to hear the different options, if nothing else.

-Mike

...simply stating.

Whats up No pulse. About a year and a half ago, I was in your situation, I had $300 in my piggy bank ( actually in my wallet :D )and was planning to buy a very inexpensive bass, here's what I did.

Went to music store, bought a $170 affinity P bass from squire, bought the essential stuff like the TUNER,STRAP,ECONOMY GIG BAG and a 15watt practice amp. That's all I needed to get started! it costed about $280 for everything!

It sounded awesome at first, the I changed the pickups for some $30 seymour duncans ( don't worry about that until you know how to play).

Here are some nice basses you might find cool and affordable:

-Ibanez GSR200 ( $204 )

-Squire standard jazz bass ( $220 )

-Squire standard P bass special ( $200 )

-Yamaha RBX170 ( $170 )

And there a bunch more! also try Ebay...

Oh! and please ignore the Rogue basses, they work at first, but then they fall apart like hell!

Got bass?

Archived