Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

tone settings

paulbassman

I'm a guitar player, recently playing bass for a classic rock band. I know how to dial in a good tone for guitar, but I'm mystified with the bass. Are there any standard amp tone settings that people use, for example, high bass, low mid, high treble? Please don't say "whatever sounds good to you" -

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi there Paul,

try to keep in your mind that the treble notes use alot less power than the low ones... so it's always a good idea to start cutting off some treble and boosting a little the lows. then you manage your way from there. :thu:

Scales don't do music. Melody does.

What's wrong with "whatever sounds good to you"?

All amps, basses, and players sound a little different.

I'd start with all the dials on the bass all the way up if it's a passive bass. If it's an active bass, put all the dials in the middle.

Then start with the bass amp flat. You should next try pulling the mids down a little.

If things aren't sounding good then, practice some more.

There are some "standard" approaches, like the high/low/high ("smiley face"), but that's not much of a way to choose a good tone.

Make it simple. Start with everything on the amp flat. If your bass is passive, start with everything up; if it's active, start with volume up & all EQ at center. Start by trying different settings on the bass itself, & find a sound that's pretty much to your liking. Now try cutting & boosting on the amp until it's more to your liking--until it sounds more like that sound you've got in your head. Once you've got a good one, make a note of it. Then start over with different sounds (bass, then amp).

This is greatly simplified, of course, but it sounds like you know enough about EQ to know how to go about this sort of thing.

Keep in mind that what sounds good when you're playing solo could be a very different thing when you're playing in a mix. So some further doctoring is usually necessary.

Depending on your amp (what eq options?) and bass (passive or active; what eq options?), it can be hard to give you "rules of thumb." However, I've found that boosting at around 250-350 Hz (low mids) helps cut thru the band. However, this can be a little too much in a boomy room.

I also tend to cut freq. in the 800-1000 Hz range. But that's me...

If you're working w/ a 3-band EQ, try boosting the lows a little bit, the mids a little more, and leaving the treble flat. This will vary, though, depending on how the bands are voiced.

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

I use very little 'EQing' myself.

I find myself with just a little bump in the low bass region (depending on the room.....sometimes I back off the bass knob -6db )

Mids just a tad scooped...say -2/3dbs and the highs I leave flat.

Boring , eh ??

With top rate basses and amp/speakers , its not necessary to fiddle much.

It's all in da hands !! :)

PJR

Archived