Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Post Jaco

Bartolini

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

dug in to Richard Bona and found following. WOW!!

"Born in 1967 in the village of Minta in East Cameroon, Bona grew up in a home filled with music. He began to perform in public at the age of five, singing in the village church with his mother and four sisters. His earliest instruments were wooden flutes and hand percussion. Eventually he constructed his own 12-string acoustic guitar. After moving to the bigger city of Douala, Richard began playing gigs at the age of 11 on a rented electric guitar. A major turning point in his life happened in 1980 when a Frenchman came to his town and established a jazz club in a local hotel. The club owner heard about the young local prodigy and hired him to assemble a band. "I didn't know anything about jazz," Richard says, "but the gig paid really well, so I took it." The hotel provided the instruments, so Richard would spend his entire day there, learning to play all of the instruments and teaching himself to read and write music. The club owner also offered his collection of 500 jazz LPs as a kind of reference library for Bona to start learning the repertoire. Purely by chance, the first record he pulled out of the stacks was Jaco Pastorius, the revolutionary self-titled debut album from 1976 by the bassist from Weather Report. This single album became a kind of Rosetta Stone for Bona's entry into jazz. "Before I heard Jaco I'd never even considered playing bass," he recalls. "But when I heard that music, and especially the tune 'Portrait of Tracy,' it changed my life"

Richard Bona kicks ass. I started a thread a long time ago (back in the days of the Green one! ;) ) about my impressions of Bona's "Scenes from my life" CD. What has impressed me most, is that while there are great bass parts on that album, it is not a "chop-fest." The songs are beautiful, and showcase Bona's beautiful and emotive voice and also his abilities on other instruments -- notably acoustic guitar. Now, almost all the lyrics are in his native Cameroonian dialect, so I don't know if they're corny, insightful, profound, whatever. However, I think they sound great. I understand DW's point about lyrical playing, but I think if you listen to one of Bona's albums you'll find that he is a very lyrical musician.

Peace.

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

Archived