Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Anyone use the Line6 Bass Pod? Our church

bassmantmaj

recently bought one for me, seeing as how the older folks didn't like all the amps on stage, and I must admit I really like it. I find that I can get a variety of good tones and sounds through it, and the volume control is excellent. We use in-ear monitors, so that helps, but just curious if anyone else has one and what they think about it.
"Remembers being small, laying under the table and dreaming...."

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bassmantmaj, go ahead and use the 'search' function in this forum, and you'll find alot of discussion about the Line 6 Bass POD. As I remember, almost all of it is very favorable to owning one.

Once you've checked out previous comments in this forum on the Bass POD, ask some specific questions and all the current owners in here will be glad to help ya.

BTW, I own a Digitech BP200, mainly because it was less expensive. Am quite happy with it.

Bassplayers aren't paid to play fast, they're paid to listen fast.

Sorry about that fig. That's the one part of the etiquette of this forum I've got to remember...SEARCH first!! I'm not used to that. But thanks for responding anyway. I'll check it out...
"Remembers being small, laying under the table and dreaming...."

• 6 years later...
I used one at church for a while, and I loved it as a preamp for the bass amp we have on stage. But, I found put that I missed having the authoritative low end of a bass cabinet when using it without one. I never found a way to push the lows up enough for the headphones without making it muddy in the PA. Fortunately, our old folks don't seem to have a problem with amps on stage.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

seeing as how the older folks didn't like all the amps on stage

Why do they get to decide what amplification you use?

Do you get to tell them what brand of adult diapers to wear?

"Tours widely in the southwestern tip of Kentucky"

seeing as how the older folks didn't like all the amps on stage

Why do they get to decide what amplification you use?

Do you get to tell them what brand of adult diapers to wear?

The older folks probably object to the sight of them thinking it will be loud, but in a round about way, the older folks know best. I'd play every gig without a stage amp as long as I had good FOH/monitors. You get the best sound and the best mix if everyone goes through the system and doesn't depend on stage amps for anything but monitoring if necessary.

I use a Pod at church. We all do. Guitar is Pod DI, keys are DI, I'm DI. We have a nice FOH and monitor system. I have my own monitor/mix. My Q5 sounds awesome!

We have plenty of older folks that come to the contemporary service. The never seem to complain, and I don't tell them about their diapers.

I'd suggest that unless the "old folks" are musicians themselves, they don't "know best" about anything of the sort.

If a musician chooses to go direct instead of through an amp, that's his choice.

But you'd don't leave the choices up to people who don't know what they're doing, simply because they don't like the way it looks.

I'd suggest that unless the "old folks" are musicians themselves, they don't "know best" about anything of the sort.

If a musician chooses to go direct instead of through an amp, that's his choice.

But you'd don't leave the choices up to people who don't know what they're doing, simply because they don't like the way it looks.

If you are referring to my post, I didn't exactly mean it in the way you seem to have taken it.

If you are referring to my post, I didn't exactly mean it in the way you seem to have taken it.

I was, and I know you weren't, but I'm on a larger point.

You're entitled to your opinion on this one (even if I don't necessarily agree), because you're a musician who speaks from personal experience and expertise.

They, on the other hand, are presumably amateurs, and shouldn't be dictating these things based on shallow, superficial objections.

Anymore than they'd want me telling their doctor how to remove their hemorrhoids.

There seem to be few things more contentious in a church than musical issues, from style to volume. I used to run sound in a church that was - shall we say - a bit more "traditional". No matter how I mixed the sound someone would always complain that it was too loud. Finally, I started using a dummy slider. If someone came to me at the board during a service and complained, I would simply pull down the dummy slider and they would usually walk away smiling.

There! I've been feeling a need to confess that and I feel much better now!! BTW -- I often use a Bass POD and the sound man loves me for it.

Don

As a Catholic, there are certain limits that people impose. It's about the worship space evoking the feeling of a worship space rather than a concert hall. Consider that you've spent millions on a building with the architecture, art, and liturgical appointments that focus the congregation's mind and heart toward God. It can be distracting to throw an 8x10 into the middle of that.

I know many other denominations either move into theaters or make their space like theaters. In that case, you have a different aesthetic to work with than more traditional-looking churches.

At the same time, there is usually a place you can put an amp so that it's not prominent. I play bass, and most Catholic churches don't have a sound system to support me, so I have to have an amp. If I make it one I can sit on (from a size standpoint, then it won't be obtrusive. So that's what I do.

Ultimately, I think it's the music director or pastor who has to plan/test/check to make sure the setup fits, the volume is appropriate, and that the music is uplifting. Those are the people who have to fend off the cranky people (old or young). And those are the people that we (musicians) have to work with to find the right equipment to get our job done in a way that supports what we need (what we need to hear) and support our playing.

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

As a Catholic, there are certain limits that people impose. It's about the worship space evoking the feeling of a worship space rather than a concert hall. Consider that you've spent millions on a building with the architecture, art, and liturgical appointments that focus the congregation's mind and heart toward God. It can be distracting to throw an 8x10 into the middle of that.

I know many other denominations either move into theaters or make their space like theaters. In that case, you have a different aesthetic to work with than more traditional-looking churches.

At the same time, there is usually a place you can put an amp so that it's not prominent. I play bass, and most Catholic churches don't have a sound system to support me, so I have to have an amp. If I make it one I can sit on (from a size standpoint, then it won't be obtrusive. So that's what I do.

Ultimately, I think it's the music director or pastor who has to plan/test/check to make sure the setup fits, the volume is appropriate, and that the music is uplifting. Those are the people who have to fend off the cranky people (old or young). And those are the people that we (musicians) have to work with to find the right equipment to get our job done in a way that supports what we need (what we need to hear) and support our playing.

Tom

Well said and applicable to many venues.

Tom

Bingo.

Tom's right on the nose.

When I played acoustic guitar for my dad's church (and eventually bass) before moving to Boston, the bass player used a Bass Pod into her Nemesis 410 combo...I don't know why. When she couldn't make it anymore and they asked me to play bass I borrowed her combo (which she kept there) and ditched the Pod. I turned the volume knob down and everybody thought the sound was such an improvement! They thought it was me...it was just the lower volume. If I had to go direct I would've liked to have the Pod. They can be useful but, personally, I don't like having that many options and variables.

Did anybody notice that picker has picked up the slack and revived a thread from 2003?

I've been on your side of the fence before, Jay. The issue is that while you are most certainly correct, both sides are telling the other that they need to listen to them because it's their church too. Having it one way or another at the expense of alienating a portion of the congregation is a bit counterproductive. It's really a case-by-case thing where you can't say "this is how you deal with it" without knowing all the factors in the situation including the people involved.

jcadmus - I see that this is both a sensitive and comic issue for you. I'm having fun figuring out which side of things you are looking at with each post!

Davio - now it is getting dicey...

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Well, the timing was quite good for me to see this. I recently read an article in the latest issue of "Christianity Today" in which the author was basically saying, "we need to tell those praise band musicians to turn it down!". My first thought was, "why not talk to the person running the soundboard first?" But, at the same time, I can appreciate his point of view because if I'm in the congregation on Sunday morning, I really don't want to have my ears ringing from the music. And I've been to services like that.

I guess what really matters (IMHO) is how it all sounds to the congregation. Does it help engage them in worship? Or are they alienated by too much volume or an un-clear mix? I personally would much rather use an amp, but if it helps the sound guys out, then I'll gladly switch to the POD.

We all like our amps - lord knows we spend enough time searching for them. But at the end of the day, it's the FOH mix that matters, and many times, it's easier to achieve that with everyone possible running direct without stage amps. I'm not saying it can't be done with a mix of FOH and stage amps, but it takes the right mix of people, talent, awareness and discipline to do that.

I really think that you get a better blend, mix and presence when everyone is in the PA and stage volume/amps are kept low for monitoring only. We run drums in ours as well. Not for volume but for presence. Everyone is coming from the same source and that makes for a balanced sound. It doesn't have to be loud.

We also have 4 monitor mixes available and that seems to be fine for us. I can hear myself just fine. Is it my exact tone - no. But I guess I am not quite a fanatical about that as many others. Hard to believe - I know - with my history, but really, as ong as I can hear what I'm doing, I would prefer to just leave my amp at home and run DI/FOH/Monitor.

jcadmus - I see that this is both a sensitive and comic issue for you. I'm having fun figuring out which side of things you are looking at with each post!

Have you MET me? That's pretty much how I view everything.

HUGE fan of irony.

Archived