Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

LoopBased Rock and Roll

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Here's one, if you like Aerosmith. [url=http://www.soundsonline.com/sophtml/details.phtml?sku=AI-100]Joey Kramer Drum Loops and Samples.[/url] They're out there - but don't underestimate the interest factor of working with other styles, either. You can definitely take a jazz loop & rock it up!

yeah, the Faint, Death Cab for Cutie, Spookey Ruben (check out "Breakfast"), Tortoise, Trans Am, Pinback, etc. Loops and Rock are Friends. --za

Opinion time: loops only sound good if you play up the fact that they're loops. If it sounds like you're trying to hide them, it doesn't work. If you want a "hard rock" sound, use a real drummer. If you want to loop "hard rock" drum sounds, knock yrself out. popmusic--"I enjoy Spookey Ruben and Tortoise, but I wouldn't really call them rock." Maybe Spookey rocks so hard, it's off your meter. ;) Tortoise I'll give you. --za

"Composing" music with loops is like paint by numbers painting. It's not really your work. It's one thing to hire musicians to play your parts for you but when you use a prefab loop with bass, drums, keyboard etc.. the parts were created by someone else - you are calling someone else's work your own. Just because you add somthing over the loop doesn't mean you are the sole author. Some people have composing skills and others use prefab loops.

Jeez, the Puristas are out in force today... :rolleyes: Using loops does not somehow "compromise your art". Only you can do that, and you can do it with or without loops. I've worked with a number of "hard rock drummers" who regurgitated the "kewl beats" they have assimilated. Does that make them artists, or human samplers?

[img]http://kellogg.marketlocator.com/kelloggs/us/knutr.nsf/d99d2c2f7baef4a2862569f90074ec05/af95bcf61f5718bb86256a4f005067ab[/img] I use Loops all the time when I write music... DANG...it's supposed to be a picture of a Froot Loops box. But it won't come out, because Kellogg's made the address too long, so nimrods like me can't poke fun at their products. The nerve.
"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

[quote]Originally posted by dino321: [b]"Composing" music with loops is like paint by numbers painting. It's not really your work.[/b][/quote]I would take issue with that. Composing with loops is nothing like paint-by-numbers. It's much more like a montage, where you take found objects, or pieces of pictures and put them together to make something new. Paint-by-numbers is more closely related to writing Top-40 Hits, where all of the stylistic parameters are established before you begin writing the song. It has to sound a lot like the other songs that are selling right now. While it's certainly true that one can just throw down a bunch of loops and have a song that is closer to being plagiarism than a unique composition, isn't the same true of songwriting without loops? I have nothing against using loops or anything else. The question of composition falls on the artist, not their medium of expression.

Super 8

Hear my stuff here

[quote]Originally posted by popmusic: [b]IMO, there is [i]no[/i] rock music I've heard that sounds good with loops. [/b][/quote]Garbage, Nirvana, and Sonic Youth sound good with loops, in my opinion.

Archived