Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

building your own

earljam

can someone recommend a source for cabinet design parameters? i have a couple of ev force speakers, a 15 and a 12 currently residing in a bassman cab. i'm thinking that if i put them in separate cabs i can have greater flexibility and a happier back. are there any adventures in cabinet making out there to relate?

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the fender bassman cabs is one of the best sound ing cab designs, and also a very sought after cabinet. I don't remcoomend mod'ing it. If you want separate cabs, sell it and get new cabs.

speaker cabinet building is a fairly exacting science. You're time and money is much more efficiently used auditioning and buying what you find you like the best.

Hope this is helpful.

Hope this is helpful.

NP Recording Studios

Analog approach to digital recording.

earljam, this is almost deja vu... Getting into the Wayback Machine, we find a Upgrading Bassman Cab thread with a familiar nick at the top ; }

As I mentioned there, WinISD is a good entrance-level proggie for woofer design. It'll get you the right port size for internal dimensions given the T-S parameters for the drivers. Anything else at this stage would be too much, and for woofer cabs, extraneous.

where02190, a Bassman cab with larger holes cut into the baffle board (see the speakers he mentioned?) hardly has vintage sought-after status. And there is nothing especially magic about the cab design itself, the basic box.

If each person who wanted to build instead of buy was dissuaded where would the builders of the world come from? earljam, roll up the sleeves and get to it! Other than cabinet woodworking tips the best way to learn is to play with tons of drivers in simulation, check out others' designs, and begin to see the subtle shadings reveal themselves (and read that WInISD documentation - it's got some decent clues about the art and science!) - and TO DO.

A little anecdotal gumbo: a guitarist I'll call Mr Cheap wanted to build a box of similar dimensions to his small combo and wanted my advice on a driver that was on closeout. I looked at its T-S parameters and remarked that it was on closeout for good reason - it was a crap speaker. I recommended one that was only $25 more that fit the application and was a good performer.

In spite of this admonition he bought the 15" underachiever and stuffed it into a box three sizes too small. Not only did it actually detract from his SPL and coverage when plugged into the extension jack, but it was a tonal suckpit: he actually had less depth and richness (which were the qualities he wished to bring out) than the combo on its own.

But it was an attractive combo stand, unplugged - and that's how it ended up being used: to get his combo up where he could hear it better without having to blast the stage.

it sounds great as is- but, a change in bands necessitates more moving of equipment than the situation with my previous band. i'm thinking that since i have 2 new speakers, separate cabs could help the back- and i kinda want to try it anyway.

Archived