Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Upright bass vs. Bass guitar?

JLM

I went and watched a group tonight and the bass player played an upright. Seeing that led me to some questions (I already tried the search).

Are uprights and bass guitars tuned the same G-D-A-E? Can either be substituted in a song? Or is music written differently for each instument? It did sound deeper to me.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

jlm,

yes, the tunings are the same.

The fingerings are different due to the uprights longer scale.(the distance between notes is longer)

while they are much the same, they are completely different animals. But nothing on the planet is cooler than a good upright bass!

Thanks for the replies, I have to agree this thing sounded coooool! It was an electric, and I liked the deeper tone.

I have a long ways to go on my bass before I start thinking about an upright.

Yes, double basses have that deep resonance or

rumble that you don't hear in many electric basses

and a unique "woody" sound.

The old P basses seemed to capture some of that rumble (combo of pickups and thick flatwounds?)

Listen to some Jamerson or good 60s and 70s R&B

before round wound strings became popular and you'll

see what I mean.

Bastid, I highly recomend adding the Electric upright. It creates a whole new atmosphere to the group. For diffrence in playing the upright and the bass guitar, you can substitute either one for any song. It takes some amazing talent on an double bass to do some of the licks that Jaco would do on a fretless.

JLM, if you haven't already discovered it, take a run by my Double Bass Links Page , which will point you to a lot of upright bass resources on the web.

While tuned the same, it is indeed a different instrument with its own vibe.

1000 Upright Bass Links, Luthier Directory, Teacher Directory - http://www.gollihurmusic.com/links.cfm

[highlight] - Life is too short for bad tone - [/highlight]

As far as the actual playing goes, the biggest difference is the fingering. The upright has a much longer scale so if you are going to use electric bass fingering (one finger per fret space), you've got to move your hand to play a scale.

I learned classical double bass fingering. Having small hands, I found this to be comfortable. It keeps you fairly well "in position", making intonation easier.

Speaking of amplifying a double bass, I'm curious as to what everyone else uses to get an authentic sound out of their instrument. I have a Polytone III, which I love to use when playing my electric fretless, but I am not in love with the sound when using my upright-What do you use??

Originally posted by bass_lover:

The old P basses seemed to capture some of that rumble (combo of pickups and thick flatwounds?)

I've been thinking of going with flat wounds on my J bass...would I be better off getting a P bass and installing flat wounds?

I've got a Fishman system on my Englehardt Upright. I just used it last night on a gig with Razzy Bailey. Lately I put it into the sound system rather than using it with an amp. The drummers usually hate that, but it sounds better out front and doesn't feed back. I've been told it sounds great; I do like it in the studio. I've used the pickup blended with a mic on bluegrass albums and recently on an album by Bob Frank with members of the North Mississippi All-Stars and Squirrel Nut Zippers. It sounded fat and warm on that project.

If I could afford it, I'd keep a solid-body electric upright for bigger live gigs, and the rig I've got for smaller, acoustic gigs and recording.

I have a fishman on my bass as well, but find that it is the most 'trebally' pickup in the entire world ie. I have the mid and high levels on my amp turned down to almost zero. One amp I think sounds great is the acoustic image bass amp (I can't remember what it is called, but it looks like a small garbage can!). I'd love to have one, but I can't afford to take the hit on a trade in with my Polytone.

Originally posted by flyingmarcel:

I have a fishman on my bass as well, but find that it is the most 'trebally' pickup in the entire world ie. I have the mid and high levels on my amp turned down to almost zero. One amp I think sounds great is the acoustic image bass amp (I can't remember what it is called, but it looks like a small garbage can!). I'd love to have one, but I can't afford to take the hit on a trade in with my Polytone.

That's the Contra, and it has been redesigned in the last few months:

http://www.doublebass.biz/AI-new-group.jpg

The new one is even smaller, and is more robust than the original, and to my ears has a tighter response. Also has a switchable tweeter. Full details on my page: Acoustic Image Contra at UpRightBassBob.com

1000 Upright Bass Links, Luthier Directory, Teacher Directory - http://www.gollihurmusic.com/links.cfm

[highlight] - Life is too short for bad tone - [/highlight]

Flyingmarcel,

I should have mentioned, I use the Fishman B preamp with the pickup, which may tone down the "treble" problem. On the pre amp I turn the bass up to 3 0'clock and the treble down to 9 o'clock. Also, I use Nylon strings. The whole thing sounds very natural, even when I slap it.

Bob,that contra looks cool. I covet it. I feel scandalous. I want it so much my eyes have been watering. It's the eye ran contra scandal.

I have an Acoustic Image Contra as well (one of the older models) and it's fantastic. Makes this thing sound like it's actually got a body on it:

http://loy.best.vwh.net/ben/messenger.jpg

If any of you are checking out electric uprights, I highly recommend John Knutson's Messenger. I'm really happy with it.

Check out Knutson\'s website for more pics and info.

Originally posted by Mike Dunbar:

...I feel scandalous. I want it so much my eyes have been watering. It's the eye ran contra scandal.

Thanks Mike - you really brightened up my day with that !!!!

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Archived