Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#390410 - 07/23/05 12:10 PM Buying a Car Sometime before August 1
Ernest Buckley Offline

Loc: Brooklyn, New York
Its that fun time again...we`re looking to get a Honda Odyssey or a Chrysler Town and Country and dealing with salespeople is always fun. Had one guy get really pissed today, closed his price book and stormed out of the office we were in. It was kind of funny but at the same time I was reminded how unpleasant an experience buying a car can be. However we then went to the Honda dealer and the sales guy was totally calm, collective and no pressure so we are steering towards the Honda.

I`ve been out of the loop, last time I purchased a car was `97. So now I`m looking to lease. Any insights into what I should look for or what I should look out for? Are there fees that I cannot possibly talk my way out of paying like delivery fees?

We`re looking to buy ASAP because we`ve got another little one on the way in Sept. so...

Thanks,
Ernest

#390411 - 07/23/05 12:28 PM Re: Buying a Car Sometime before August 1
Gabriel E. Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Carmel, NY
Well. . . as a Honda (Civic) owner I can say that you should expect the Odyssey to go forever with little trouble wheras the Town & Country is designed to last 4 years.

#390412 - 07/23/05 12:34 PM Re: Buying a Car Sometime before August 1
AudioMaverick Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Outskirts of Big Bear, CA,UNIT...
My best friend bought 2001 Odyssey. I joked it was his Space Odyssey. Anyway, his reasoning was the functionality of it, compared to the other minivans. I have been impressed with how the seats fold up into the floorboards. I makes for a great cargo vehicle, as well as passenger van.

For more background on the various cars you are considering, go to http://www.MSN.com, and check out the auto section on the left margin (http://autos.msn.com). There is a lot to read. I like to read the user reviews.

"It's all about the... um-m-m, uh-h-h..."

#390413 - 07/23/05 12:47 PM Re: Buying a Car Sometime before August 1
mdlestat Offline

Loc: NC
My advise, as an ex-Chevy dealership employee, is to shop online for the lowest price offered in the country (MANY dealerships have online storefronts nowadays) and then tell your place to match it-- if they won't tell them you'll order it from whatever dealership you find and have it delivered to you or your local dealership.

Leasing is very often a losing proposition for the buyer $-wise, but I assume you are aware of all the ins and outs.

Do your homework, and COME INTO THE DEALERSHIP PREPARED.

I can not stress that enough.

Know exactly what options you want. Know exactly what other dealerships are offering your car for. Know what you will and will not take-- or they'll start piling it on when you're not looking.

The two biggest overlooked points of profit for dealerships are financing (having your bank pre-approve you for a competitive loan is the smartest rout, else the dealership could add points of interest and keep it) and all those worthless add-ons through the dealership-- window-etching, undercarriage crap, stain-treating, etc... all bullshit, and all completely useless.

GAP insurance is a must for leased cars, IMO-- if you wreck/total the car, YOU pay the difference between what it's worth on the books and what you actually owe-- which is usually thousands.

The one thing I always recommend, from personal AND professional experience (IF you plan on owning the car for a good preiod of time--leasing negates this) is a factory extended warranty.

It can very often save you thousands of dollars once the stock warranty runs out and something goes bad-- and if it's transferrable (check first!) you can use it as an excellent selling point when you get rid of the car, as it will give great peace-of-mind to the new owner.

You must make sure that the coverage is COMPREHENSIVE though, including ELECTRICAL (especially, as MANY issues of that nature pop up in aging cars and are often deliberately excluded from aftermarket warranties--which is why I try to stick with the factory).

Best of luck--

#390414 - 07/23/05 12:54 PM Re: Buying a Car Sometime before August 1
deanmass Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I just leased a new Chevy Silverado crew cab for $371 per month, nothing down.

Honda vs. Chrysler is no comparo....Look into the Pilot as well, cause there are 7 seats, and the Toyota Sienna mini van, which is I am not mistaken is leasing for $269 per month.

#390415 - 07/23/05 01:58 PM Re: Buying a Car Sometime before August 1
mattzen Offline

Loc: Los Angeles, CA, USA
i'm buying a mazda RX-8 this week. i've been doing all of my research and calculations on edmunds.com

They have a whole section on leasing....it's definitely worth a read! Good Luck!

#390416 - 07/23/05 04:44 PM Re: Buying a Car Sometime before August 1
deanmass Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

My friend just bought a mazda 6. It is sweet. the RX8 is a freaking nice car for the money.

I am really close to buying a used Subaru WRX Wagon after an adrenaline filled test drive, but settled on another truck due to my usage habits and needs.

I would LOVE to have one of each... \:\)

#390417 - 07/23/05 05:54 PM Re: Buying a Car Sometime before August 1
fantasticsound Offline
10k Club

Loc: Madison,TN, UNITED STATES
mdlestrat gave you a lot of good advice. Most importantly, you do know that leasing is the most expensive way to own a vehicle, right? My wife works for Ford Credit. There are few reasons a lease is more attractive than purchase, all of which must be more important than cost. (Not price, cost. ;\) )

If you do lease, gap insurance is a must. You can literally get in an accident on your way home from the dealership and end up owing thousands to the dealer in addition to needing another vehicle. Don't drive away without gap insurance. Also, you must be aware of the number of miles per year you drive. Every mile over the contract limit will cost you extra, due, in full, at the end of your lease. They will also try to stick you with depreciation charges for wear deemed more than usual. Many of these issues do not arise until you hand the car back to the dealer.

Also, don't plan on driving the car to Canada. Increasingly, finance companies are refusing to allow drivers to bring their car anywhere outside the U.S. It's in the contract. It's the finance company's car and you can be in more than a little trouble if they discover you've crossed the border in the vehicle.

If you plan to hold on to the vehicle for the long haul (as I do), you're almost assuredly going to do better buying rather than leasing.

Soundclick
fntstcsnd

#390418 - 07/23/05 06:24 PM Re: Buying a Car Sometime before August 1
philbo_Tangent Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Iowa
It's funny how Ford, GM & Chrysler are racing each other lemming-like to give bigger and bigger discounts to their gas-hogs...

You don't see that happening with the imports. Kinda makes you wonder how the big 3 with their completely clueless marketing departments have survived this long....

Anyway, I'd recommend buying something 4 to 7 years old with 30K to 50K miles. Unless it's for business (the tax breaks on a business vehicle make it worthwhile buying new), buying a new vehicle is like taking several bushels of cash to the river and throwing them in... a total waste of money.

#390419 - 07/23/05 07:45 PM Re: Buying a Car Sometime before August 1
RABid Offline
10k Club

Well, I'm also trying to trade before August 1st. The Pontiac G6 looks interresting and in my price range. I do plan to work out any possible financing at my credit union before I visit a dealer. My poor 1998 Plymoth Breeze is about gone, and worthless. It did so well for the first 100,000 miles, and the first two wrecks. But after 100K things started happening. Evey my JVC stereo and XM Radio unit is giving me problems.

Robert

#390420 - 07/24/05 12:38 PM Re: Buying a Car Sometime before August 1
MikeT156 Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Central PA, USA
mdlestat gave you some GREAT advice. Listen to him, he hit all the key points. If you buy NEW, be sure to use synthetic oil in it, like Amsoil, if you plan on owning it long after the payments run out. Many high end vehicles now ship with some kind of synthetic oil in them from the factory, because it's so much better than petrolium. Sometimes the factory will specify what kind of oil you need to use, and often its one of THEIR products. It might have some implications on the warranty. You want to check this before you buy anything. Honda is the way to go.

Mike T.

#390421 - 07/24/05 07:22 PM Re: Buying a Car Sometime before August 1
Ernest Buckley Offline

Thanks for all the advice.
We are considering a lease because NYC can be VERY hard on a car. Honda looks like the fav at this point.

#390422 - 07/24/05 10:49 PM Re: Buying a Car Sometime before August 1
MikeT156 Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Central PA, USA
You're buying a car and are going to drive it in NYC? \:D \:D Read your lease contract dude. If you're going to be charged for the condition the vehicle is returned in when the lease is up, GOOD LUCK. A car in NYC?? \:D \:D Kamikaze's had better odds.

Mike T.

#390423 - 07/25/05 12:24 AM Re: Buying a Car Sometime before August 1
Super 8 Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Loves Park, IL
My advice....

Don't buy a car unless you have to. It's a money pit.

Secondly,
The internet is your friend. When I bought my last car, I hit the net, found exactly what I wanted, gave it a test drive, and bought it. No more wandering around car lots for me. The less I deal with salesmen, the better.

Honda makes good cars

I own a Subaru Forester, and I highly recommend you looking at one.
They are pretty good on gas.
They are well built.
All wheel drive! I will never go back. Handles like a dream, and great for winter driving.
LOTS of room for your music gear. Right after I bought it, we loaded it up and drove to Minnesota. I was surprised how much stuff we got into that thing.

HOWEVER:
I HAVE to tell you about this. I have 64,000 miles on it, and last week my timing belt went on me. It destroyed my engine and cost me over 4700 in repairs. The belt is not due to be replaced until 100,000 miles, so this is unusual, but something to be aware of. Honda's need new timing chains at 90,000 miles. I'd do it at 80, just to be safe.

Aside from my little costly experience, I really do like my Subaru.

Also, I wouldn't lease if I thought I was going to be hard on the car. It will cost you a fortune in fee's when you return it.

Hear my stuff here
"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
-- George Bernard Shaw

#390424 - 07/25/05 03:58 PM Re: Buying a Car Sometime before August 1
Ernest Buckley Offline

Well the reality is we really need to get something reliable. We have a `97 Hyundai and a `90 Nissan Sentra. Both have over 100,000 and are slowly falling apart. We also have another baby on the way and fitting two car seats in the Hyundai (forget the Nissan) would be extremely tight.

We are considering leasing or financing, still not sure. I`m doing lots of reading online but its confusing and yet I would rather deal with it than some of these pricks (salesman).

The other day we had a pretty bad experience w/ a Chrysler dealer. I basically told the guy to stop talking circles and show me the numbers. He didn`t like that very much so he walked out on us. \:D We walked out of the dealership and they will not get our business.

However the Honda dealer was a lot more reasonable. We were also steering that way (no pun). Honda just seems to get great reviews from everyone that has owned one.

As far as driving in NYC, my wife and I are very safe and defensive drivers and we are gentle on our cars but the question remains: Lease vs. Finance?

#390425 - 07/25/05 04:30 PM Re: Buying a Car Sometime before August 1
Brad Blackwood_dup1 Offline

Loc: Memphis - the home of rock-n-r...
Bought a new Odyssey for the wifey and kids in '03 and couldn't be happier. Go for it!

#390426 - 07/25/05 04:51 PM Re: Buying a Car Sometime before August 1
FrankieP Offline
Gold Member

Loc: New York
Chrysler Pacifica!

"Looks like an SUV, drives like a sedan, holds and protects people like a minivan "