Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#390392 - 07/23/05 11:22 AM Hats' off to lrossmusic...
Tedster Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I mean, one of our most modest and soft-spoken board members. I knew he'd played trombone with Count Basie's band, and that, in and of itself, gives ANYONE bragging rights. But, noOOOooo...Mr. Ross sits back, and mingles with us mortals like other people of serious note have.

Read Mr. Ross's bio...he's played with countless greats, I won't embarrass him more here, but, this soft-spoken gentleman from D.C. deserves an MP forum salute!

#390393 - 07/23/05 12:10 PM Re: Hats' off to lrossmusic...
Dak Lander Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Temecula, LoCal, USA
SA-LUTE!!!

Our Joint

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it." The Duke...

#390394 - 07/23/05 12:41 PM Re: Hats' off to lrossmusic...
Gus Lozada Offline
10k Club

Loc: Bunda Léle Studios - Mexico
I have not read his resume but have listened his music and read his posts. That saids it all \:\)

#390395 - 07/23/05 12:42 PM Re: Hats' off to lrossmusic...
Tedster Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

\:D

I loved that show.

#390396 - 07/23/05 01:18 PM Re: Hats' off to lrossmusic...
Dan South Offline
10k Club

Loc: Metuchen,NJ,UNITED STATES
I *LOVE* L. Ross!

Actually, I love BOTH of them!

\:D \:D

#390397 - 07/23/05 01:43 PM Re: Hats' off to lrossmusic...
boosh Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: netherlands
Salute!! I think you could write a book about your touring years! Would love to read it man.

#390398 - 07/23/05 01:47 PM Re: Hats' off to lrossmusic...
lrossmusic Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Washington DC , UNITED STATES
Hey wait a minute fellows ... easy on the syrup!

But thanks Ted, Dak, Gus, Dan and Boosh I salute you.

#390399 - 07/23/05 02:12 PM Re: Hats' off to lrossmusic...
Happy Birthday Fendercaster Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Milledgeville, Georgia USA
Where do you find his bio? It's not in his sig line, and I'd like to read it.

If you own two Lexus cars, do you have Lexi?

#390400 - 07/23/05 02:14 PM Re: Hats' off to lrossmusic...
Tedster Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Well, seriously, Lincoln, as Boosh said, we'd love to hear some stories. And I'd bet you've got some tales to tell...

And say howdy to that Jedi son of yours...he's been hiding lately...

#390401 - 07/23/05 02:19 PM Re: Hats' off to lrossmusic...
theblue1 Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Long Beach, CA
I caught Basie and the band back in '65... I don't suppose you were with them, then, were you, L. Ross?

;\)

#390402 - 07/23/05 02:38 PM Re: Hats' off to lrossmusic...
lrossmusic Offline
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally posted by theblue1:
I caught Basie and the band back in '65... I don't suppose you were with them, then, were you, L. Ross?

;\)
No that was before my time. I came on nine years later in '74.

BTW the leader of the band now, Bill Hughes (bass trombone), has been in the band for an incredible 51 years.

#390403 - 07/23/05 03:14 PM Re: Hats' off to lrossmusic...
Stephen Fortner Offline
But who is number 1 ? ...
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Oakland, CA, UNITED STATES
I met Lincoln once in D.C., where we got a small but fun forum hang together at this great Asian restaurant. He gave me a copy of his CD. Great musician and a truly nice guy! Good to have you with us, Jedi.

Stephen Fortner
Principal, Fortner Media
Editor at Large, Keyboard Magazine
Contributor, Gearslutz.com

#390404 - 07/23/05 03:20 PM Re: Hats' off to lrossmusic...
lrossmusic Offline
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Tedster:
Well, seriously, Lincoln, as Boosh said, we'd love to hear some stories. And I'd bet you've got some tales to tell...

And say howdy to that Jedi son of yours...he's been hiding lately...
Old Jedi just turned 30 and has been busy with my grandkids besides trying to finish up an album before he goes back to his English teaching gig in September. I got to hand it to him though, he's a dedicated Dad for sure and puts in a lot of time. I have been truly blessed with two great kids and three wonderful grandkids with one on the way. I'll tell him you asked about him.

As far as stories go, you know how it is, they do accumulate as the years go by and often some of the names have to be changed to protect the guilty. \:D But here is a good one I posted on the Keyboard forum in March of this year.

Thirty one years ago I had the unbelieveable experience of riding on a train through the Swiss Alps while on the road with the Count Basie Orchestra. I was playing 3rd trombone and was the youngest member of the band at the time.(I was really lucky to get that gig but that's another story.)(Keeping it real though \:D the trombone is still kicking my ass to this very day.)

Anyway I was walking through the train maybe on my way to the dining car when I passed a cabin where Basie, Norman Granz, and O.P.(Oscar Peterson) were sitting and having a casual conversation. They invited me in and I must have sat there for about 20 minutes shooting the breeze with them as we talked about the then current popular music and electronic instruments in particular.

O.P. mentioned that he had heard that Herbie Hancock was playing some kind of electric piano but that he had not yet played one. I also vaguely remember O.P. commenting something about the Beatle's tune Ellenor Rigby (sp.) and how he couldn't imagine soloing on it. I think Basie had already recorded an album of Beatle's tunes so that's how the topic came up.

Also I remember kind of standing up for some of the soul music of my generation to them by citing Sly and the Family Stone and other hot acts of the time as groups I enjoyed.

On this tour O.P. and Basie would play a duet together right after O.P.'s set and before the big band came on. They would arrange two grand pianos together facing each other interlocked as you have probably seen done before. Anyway one show at the end of O.P.'s set I was in the wings checking him out, as I did every night, when Basie came up behind me right before he was to go on for the duet. He said something like:

Quote:
Damn! can you imagine having to go out there and sit down to the piano with this cat playing like that?
\:D \:D \:D
As I remember him Basie was a down to earth regular type guy who often rode the bus with the band. Not a pretentious bone in his body. Once I caught him one the bus alone and asked him what advice he might have for a young guy trying to make it in the music business. His answer was something to the effect that it would be good to have something to fall back on job wise but to always keep a clean mind. He was 70 and I was 24.

#390405 - 07/23/05 03:21 PM Re: Hats' off to lrossmusic...
theblue1 Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Long Beach, CA
Quote:
Originally posted by lrossmusic:
Quote:

;\)
No that was before my time. I came on nine years later in '74.

BTW the leader of the band now, Bill Hughes (bass trombone), has been in the band for an incredible 51 years.
Wow... that's great. I wonder, though, what it's like playing some of the same tunes for a half century. I'm thinking after a few decades, it's pretty much second nature...

Cheers!

#390406 - 07/23/05 09:21 PM Re: Hats' off to lrossmusic...
BP3 Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I was fortunate to have been at the hang that Steve was talking of (after an Alesis Ion demo by Craig as I recall). It was the first local gathering of forumites that I had the pleasure of attending.

#390407 - 07/24/05 09:28 PM Re: Hats' off to lrossmusic...
NMcGuitar Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: MD (just outside Washington, D...
L. Ross, from the brief time that I met you, I could tell that you were a very nice guy, passionate about music, even more passionate about your grandkids ;\) , and a total gentleman.
My hat is off to you as well.
\:\)

- Neil
www.MikesGarageRocks.com

#390408 - 07/24/05 09:47 PM Re: Hats' off to lrossmusic...
Super 8 Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Loves Park, IL
Quote:
Originally posted by Tedster:
I mean, one of our most modest and soft-spoken board members.
this soft-spoken gentleman from D.C. deserves an MP forum salute!
He's not a bad look'n guy either.

And his music? Smmmmmoooooth.
Can ya dig it? I knew that'cha could.....

Hear my stuff here
"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
-- George Bernard Shaw

#390409 - 07/24/05 09:55 PM Re: Hats' off to lrossmusic...
Super 8 Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Loves Park, IL
Quote:
I wonder, though, what it's like playing some of the same tunes for a half century. I'm thinking after a few decades, it's pretty much second nature...
I imagine you get plenty of opportunity to smooth out any rough spots.

Although....I few years ago I was playing for a band that had been doing the same material for twenty years, and had never bothered to learn the second verse to a couple of the tunes they did...they just repeated the first verse twice.

I always thought; "Hey, if you're gonna play the song every night, at least learn the whole thing!"

But what do I know? They're booked solid years in advance... :rolleyes:

Hear my stuff here
"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
-- George Bernard Shaw