Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#390307 - 07/22/05 12:40 PM Three Shure Employees Killed
Jeff Klopmeyer Offline
10k Club

Loc: Redondo Beach,CA,UNITED STATES
Some pretty tragic news out of Illinois...

Three employees of Shure, Inc--29-year-old Douglas Meis, 35-year-old John Glick, 39-year-old Michael Dahlquist--were killed in a Skokie, IL car crash last week when a motorist rammed them in a failed suicide attempt. Jeanette Sliwinski, 23, of Morton Grove, IL sustained only a leg injury when her Ford Mustang, travelling more than 70 MPH, smashed into a Honda Civic carrying the three men as they returned to work from lunch.

Stay safe out there, folks.

- Jeff

#390308 - 07/22/05 12:46 PM Re: Three Shure Employees Killed
soundthinker Offline

Loc: Chicago, IL
Yeah, all three were in area bands. This touched a number of people here.

/jim
"...it is the leaders of the country who determine policy, and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is to tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lacking patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It is the same in any country."

-Hermann Goering, second in command of the Third Reich

#390309 - 07/22/05 12:51 PM Re: Three Shure Employees Killed
Red Winger Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: SJ, Cal-ee-fon-ya
This is the kind of stuff that makes me hope Dante had something going there so that there's a special layer of hell reserved for asshats like these. Just like the guy that parked his car on the tracks in an effort to get hit by a commuter train (and then chickened out at the last minute), resulting in the loss of life other than his own, this person decides to off herself by involving (and then killing) other people. What's wrong with OD'ing on painkillers? You gotta ram another persons's car? Guess she has at least three more reasons to off herself now.

Simply unbelievable. I feel terribly sorry, not just for the victims, but for their families.

--Mark

#390310 - 07/22/05 12:51 PM Re: Three Shure Employees Killed
Philip O'Keefe Offline
10k Club

Loc: Riverside,CA,UNITED STATES
Tragic. \:\(

If someone wanted to kill themselves in a car wreck, why wouldn't they drive into a brick wall or concrete pillar instead of another car?

I hope they charge that idiot with murder.
http://www.ssrstudio.com
http://www.philokeefe.com
pokeefe777@ssrstudio.com
My New Forum on Harmony-Central

#390311 - 07/22/05 01:03 PM Re: Three Shure Employees Killed
Jeff Klopmeyer Offline
10k Club

As it turns out, she ran THREE red lights through major intersections at 70mph before t-boning the Civic that held the Shure guys.

Yes, they are charging her with murder. However, it seems that her lawyer is already setting up an insanity defense, or trying to anyway. What other excuse could you possibly have?

- Jeff

#390312 - 07/22/05 01:05 PM Re: Three Shure Employees Killed
fantasticsound Offline
10k Club

Loc: Madison,TN, UNITED STATES
That's awful. My condolances to their families and co-workers at Shure, Inc.

That used to be my backyard. Ever since I worked for a company around the corner I've spent lots of time around what is now Shure headquarters. There are some crazy, aggressive drivers in that area, and it's always busy, especially at lunchtime.

Frankly, I don't know how she managed 70mph. Anyone know what street the collision took place on?

Soundclick
fntstcsnd

#390313 - 07/22/05 01:08 PM Re: Three Shure Employees Killed
Gator Wing Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Grantville, PA, UNITED STATES
So sad.

#390314 - 07/22/05 01:09 PM Re: Three Shure Employees Killed
Jeff Klopmeyer Offline
10k Club

Dempster Street at Niles Center Road

- Jeff

#390315 - 07/22/05 01:13 PM Re: Three Shure Employees Killed
jackpine Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Luck,WI
About a year ago the cops were engaged in a high speed pursuit with a local guy from the next town north of here. He called 911 on his cell and said if the cop didn't back off he'd ram the next car he saw. The cop didn't get the message until after he killed a 68 year old woman on her way to the grocery. He lived...

... he was in arrears on his child support.

Deadly crimminal.

I'll never figure why murder-suicides don't just kill themselves first....

#390316 - 07/22/05 01:16 PM Re: Three Shure Employees Killed
fantasticsound Offline
10k Club

Nevermind... just found a reference and looked up the spot... been past there a thousand times. \:\(

RIP.

Soundclick
fntstcsnd

#390317 - 07/22/05 01:56 PM Re: Three Shure Employees Killed
ITGITC? Offline
Grand Poobah of Posting
10k Club

Loc: USA
Quote:
Originally posted by fantasticsound:
There are some crazy, aggressive drivers in that area, and it's always busy, especially at lunchtime.

Neil, there are crazy, aggressive drivers everywhere now... or so it seems.

I told you that just a couple of years ago I was hit when a guy driving a Ford F150 truck ran a stoplight and hit me. My van was totalled. I was OK. After it happened I got out of my vehicle and went to him to ask if he was hurt. He said "I thought I could make it through the yellow light."

Crazy drivers are everywhere and it scares me to death. I have a 17 year old daughter. My family used to be in the trucking business. I know the statistics. It's not a question of 'if' an accident will happen, the more pertinent question is 'when'. :rolleyes:

Please folks, remember to have lots and lots of patience with the other people on the road. There's a very good chance that in the heat of the summertime - they don't.

Take care Neil,

Tom

#390318 - 07/22/05 02:01 PM Re: Three Shure Employees Killed
Lee Knight Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Encinitas,CA,UNITED STATES
I think NOW would be a good time to kill herself! Stupid, selfish...

#390319 - 07/22/05 02:12 PM Re: Three Shure Employees Killed
PBBPaul Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Wonderful World of Cheese - Wi...
God, that just sucks.

I learned riding motorcycles at a young age to:
Always be defensive
Always know what's going on around me
Always assume that the other drivers are trying to kill me.

My heart goes out to these poor guys and their families. I've been on that road a few dozen times as well.

#390320 - 07/22/05 02:29 PM Re: Three Shure Employees Killed
fantasticsound Offline
10k Club

I received a ticket for speeding, 6 months ago. (I had forgotten that Opryland, which has 8 lanes of parkway in front of it, doesn't have increased speed over the two major road projects surrounding that section of straight highway. Dumb. \:o )

Anyway, I went to driver safety class and, when the instructor asked how we protect ourselves on the road, I replied, "I don't trust anyone on the road." This elicited a lot of laughter. He asked what I meant and I said, "I don't care who you are or what you drive, I mistrust you. It's the only way I know I'm going to pay close attention to what everyone around me is doing, greatly increasing my safety. The minute I trust you to do what you should do, I'm putting myself in danger."

Glad you were one of the lucky ones, Tom, in that you were ok after the collision. (Of course if you had been really lucky, you wouldn't have been hit in the first place. ;\)

Soundclick
fntstcsnd

#390321 - 07/22/05 02:41 PM Re: Three Shure Employees Killed
Gus Lozada Offline
10k Club

Loc: Bunda Léle Studios - Mexico
Quote:
Originally posted by Lee Knight:
I think NOW would be a good time to kill herself! Stupid, selfish...
Nope, that would be rewarding her stupidity.
Let her LIVE... in jail or in a hospital, treated ad the f*cking psycho she is for life.

#390322 - 07/22/05 03:03 PM Re: Three Shure Employees Killed
phaeton Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Die Land Of Cheese Und Bier
stupid fucking bitch.

#390323 - 07/22/05 03:15 PM Re: Three Shure Employees Killed
LiveMusic Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Louisiana
Man, oh, man, we are a fucked up species. That just takes the fucking cake. There ain't no justice.

> > > [ Live! ] < < <

#390324 - 07/22/05 03:17 PM Re: Three Shure Employees Killed
deanmass Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

You know what?

She is 23.

The guys are dead.

I am sure she will get punished in some way severly, and she obviously has something severe going on. In the meantime, I am not really digging the hate. It is terrible that this happened, but we can only hope that the outcome will protect the families of the men killed financially, and that this young woman will get the help she needs.

And, just for perspective, I lost my grandfather to a drunk driver, and I have a cousin who is quadrapalegic due to a drunk driver, so I have had some exposure to these type of things in my immediate family. They suck, but nothing brings back the dead. the living are the ones who need the help and support.

#390325 - 07/22/05 03:35 PM Re: Three Shure Employees Killed
Alon Offline
Gold Member

Loc: New York City, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by deanmass:
and that this young woman will get the help she needs.
The only help she needs is 2,000 volts getting injected into her worthless body.

#390326 - 07/22/05 03:38 PM Re: Three Shure Employees Killed
Lee Knight Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Encinitas,CA,UNITED STATES
I don't "dig the hate" either but it's a natural reaction to such a shitty thing. And yes Gus, I agree, killing herself would be to easy.

An eye for an eye.

#390327 - 07/22/05 05:09 PM Re: Three Shure Employees Killed
MikeT156 Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Central PA, USA
One way or other, when someone kills 3 people, they get locked up for a long, long time. I feel for all their families. A rubber room is a lot more comfortable than state prison, but its still prison. She'll have LOTS of time to think about her actions.

Mike T.

#390328 - 07/22/05 06:25 PM Re: Three Shure Employees Killed
Dan South Offline
10k Club

Loc: Metuchen,NJ,UNITED STATES
Please permit me to offer my coldolences to the families of these gentlemen and to their friends and colleagues, as well. Their deaths would have been tragic enough without the utterly senseless idiocy that precipitated the accident. That's just fate in its most bitter and cruel form.

Years ago, a young man was driving home from his rehearsal dinner (the night before his wedding) with his best man and two other friends. I'm familiar with the story, because the four men were recent graduates of my college. A mile or so ahead of them was a car driven by a middle-aged man who was riding with his wife and another couple. The man and his wife had an extremely bitter argument that evening, during which he said, "I'll kill us all," and proceeded to do a U-turn right on the highway. He accelerated in the wrong direction and crashed head on into the car carrying the four young gentlemen from the wedding party. The groom and the best man were killed instantly. The other two men were seriously injured and would be wheelchair bound for months. The four people in the oncoming car escaped with minor injuries.

I can't imagine the telephone call that a young bride-to-be received that night. Cancel the wedding, Honey, because the love of your life has just been killed in the most senseless way imaginable, plucked from this Earth by some reckless, selfish bastard who sought to inflict his self-imposed misery on a carload of random strangers. She must have cried a river of tears that weekend. I didn't even know her, but I'll never forget her. I'll NEVER forget her. And I'll never forget the worthless piece of scum who took away all of the promise and happiness of her sweet young life in one cold and ruthless burst of evil.

Sometimes God screws up.

Deepest condolences once again to the families and friends of the gentlemen killed in the Illinois crash. I feel for you. I really and truly do.

#390329 - 07/22/05 08:15 PM Re: Three Shure Employees Killed
theblue1 Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Long Beach, CA
Such a waste. Such a true shame.

My condolences to their family and friends.

#390330 - 07/22/05 08:33 PM Re: Three Shure Employees Killed
FoxTick Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Sacramental, Californicate
Words can't explain how I feel about this.

This really sucks \:\(

#390331 - 07/22/05 08:38 PM Re: Three Shure Employees Killed
ViLo Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Dallas, TX. Estado De Mexico!
SO, Sorry...

#390332 - 07/22/05 08:45 PM Re: Three Shure Employees Killed
fantasticsound Offline
10k Club

I wasn't going to post this.. but I thought you guys would like to know.

For lack of a better contact, I sent this to info@shure.com;

Quote:
Hello,

I was informed by an acquaintance on Craig Anderton’s , Sound, Studio & Stage forum at Music Player about the collision that took the lives of three Shure employees.

I would like to extend my sincere condolences to the families and friends of these men, their co-workers and professional associates.

I’ve lived in Nashville, TN for the past decade, but grew up in Highland Park, IL and lived in far northern Chicago and Niles prior to our move south. Though I did not know these men, I find myself feeling significantly diminished for your loss.

I felt the need to lend any support I can in the wake of this tragedy. If only to let your staff know there are Shure, Inc. fans and consumers everywhere who, in some way, share their grief. We’re out here. We’re thinking of all of you in your time of need.

Sincerely

Neil A. Bergman
Sound Mixer

P.S. Please share the following thread link with your employees;

http://www.musicplayer.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?/ubb/get_topic/f/1/t/025562.html#000009

Soundclick
fntstcsnd

#390333 - 07/22/05 09:57 PM Re: Three Shure Employees Killed
Tedster Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

So sad. Everyone who's ever owned a Shure microphone (which is just about everyone) can feel a sense of loss, I'm certain. \:\(

#390334 - 07/25/05 02:34 AM Re: Three Shure Employees Killed
AmplifierExperts Offline

Loc: Connecticut
This is most unfortunate and tragically unfair.
A lot of folks poo-poo the idea of driving an SUV, but had those guys been driving a Suburban or something like that, they might have walked away from it and the idiot girl might have succeeded in her attempt to commune with the devil.
That said, driving is a philosophy. Too many people don't take it seriously. I've seen too much devastation on the roads to avoid giving careful thought to driving, knowing that even one brief moment of lost concentration can mean some jerk crossing the divider that you don't react to in time.
I drive a big SUV, and I've been rear-ended two times in two years, while sitting at red lights. Both instances were women talking on cell phones. Both impacts under 30mph with no damage to my vehicle, but extensive damage to theirs (smashed grill, crumpled bonnet.)
I won't even venture out in a small car. It's too dangerous and this type of incident just underscores that.

Mark A. Weiss, P.E.
www.ampexperts.com
-