Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Greetings from HC Forums #389537 07/17/05 04:48 PM
M
MrKnobs Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Hello -

I'm not here in any official capacity, I'm just a long time forumite over at HC, also a long time lurker on this forum. I realize there's a lot of confusion and apprehension on both sides with the planned move coming up. I thought I might take a few moments to clear up some of the confusion. Hopefully, your mods and our mods will issue some official statement once they've worked the details out.

First of all, some of you seem to have mistaken Open Jam for Harmony Central. Open Jam is just one forum of many. We have Recording and Live Sound forums, Cool Jam (which most of you would fit right into), Amps, Acoustic Guitars, Electric Guitars, Songwriting, etc.

Most of us hop around depending on what we feel like discussing. My home base is mostly Live Sound, because I used to be a touring soundman for various country artists. But I like to let my hair down in OJ fairly often.

None of the forums, not even OJ, is a free for all without moderation. There are rules, even at OJ, and bannings are frequent. The rules at the other HC forums are far more strict.

This forum (as it seems to me) is kind of a mix between Cool Jam, Live Sound, and Recording on OJ. It's most like Cool Jam, from what I can tell.

Even the regulars at OJ are just ordinary people fooling around. There are doctors, pharmacists, engineers, lawyers, welders, nurses, students, technicians, computer programmers, bouncers, full time musicians, recording engineers, Christians, atheists, pagans, Buddhists, technical writers, network managers, and at least one actual working scientist: me.

And those are just the jobs and people I know well. I've met many of them in real life in the last few years. All good people so far.

Where I'm going with this is: relax. Changes will come, everything will be fine. Don't stress out and borrow trouble from the future, just go in with an open mind and know that you'll find a niche to enjoy as you have this one. I would expect from common sense and what Craig has recently posted that he will simply host this exact forum over on HC. How bad can that be?

And know that some folks on our end are stressed out too. What isn't helpful to anyone is folks from here coming over and posting stuff like "Craig will ban you" (I'm paraphrasing) or our more exuberant types calling some of your guys with thousands of posts, "noobs."

You're good people, we're good people, for the most part, not counting a few bad apples here and there. We can do this. It won't be worse than what you have now, it will be better. Give it a chance.

Welcome. \:\)

Terry D.

I wrote, performed, and recorded this: http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/tellingstories
Re: Greetings from HC Forums #389538 07/17/05 05:05 PM
B
BadCat Offline
B
n00bs \:D

Re: Greetings from HC Forums #389539 07/17/05 05:25 PM
A String Offline
10k Club
10k Club
Thanks MrKnobs.

It was a real culture shock when I first stepped inside OJ, but I suppose that if the rest of the place is as "homey" as it is around here, everything should run just fine.

Re: Greetings from HC Forums #389540 07/17/05 05:42 PM
B
Brittanylips Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
B
Dear Mr. Knobs.

Ever since I have been in this country, I have nice things to meet such people. You cannot help but love to meet.

And then you Mr. Knobs Mr. “I know More As Scientist than Such” come into forum and say such terrible thing. Such terrible thing! Have you no regard for others and such???

Saying how good people you are to make us keep separate like ghetto? Like second class citizen and such? And you will plan to banning us?

What kind of person says such thing I ask you? What kind of person are you Mr. Knobs? Are you evil scientist and such?

You are not nice and have given me bad Sunday. Thank you very much Mr. knobs. (My thank you is tongue to cheek since I thought you were nice man but now maybe not).

-Peace and Love and Brittanylips

Re: Greetings from HC Forums #389541 07/17/05 05:47 PM
Super 8 Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Quote:
Originally posted by MrKnobs:

There are rules, even at OJ, and bannings are frequent.
Heh, heh, heh....Wewus. \:D

Super 8

Hear my stuff here
"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
-- George Bernard Shaw
Re: Greetings from HC Forums #389542 07/17/05 05:53 PM
M
MrKnobs Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Quote:
Originally posted by Brittanylips:
Saying how good people you are to make us keep separate like ghetto? Like second class citizen and such? And you will plan to banning us?

What kind of person says such thing I ask you? What kind of person are you Mr. Knobs? Are you evil scientist and such?

You are not nice and have given me bad Sunday. Thank you very much Mr. knobs. (My thank you is tongue to cheek since I thought you were nice man but now maybe not).

-Peace and Love and Brittanylips
Well, at least I thank you for the peace and love. And especially for the Brittanylips. \:o

Funny, I thought I logged on to SSS.

Sure felt like an OJ "welcome," though; you'll fit right in! \:D

Terry D.

P.S. The barbed wire around OJ is there to keep us in, not you out. We're "barbed" for your protection. ;\)

I wrote, performed, and recorded this: http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/tellingstories
Re: Greetings from HC Forums #389543 07/17/05 05:59 PM
Geoff Grace Offline
MPN Advisory Board
10k Club
MPN Advisory Board
10k Club
Thanks for the welcome and advice, Terry. What you wrote makes sense.

Even though I like sports, I'm generally very much against any "us vs. them" mentality. In this case, most of that notion is an illusion anyway because we're all to one extent or another musicians.

I've spent a fair amount of time over at the keyboard forum (KSS) at Harmony Central since the announcement, and my experience so far is in alignment with your post above. Just as with the MusicPlayer forums, each forum has its own accepted and unaccepted modes of behavior. I'm pretty impressed with how little conflict there has been between us keyboard players from both here and there as we fashion new ground rules that appeal to both groups.

I think we often get what we expect. More often than not, if you invite people to be reasonable, they generally are ...and vice versa.

Just my two, shiny copper Lincolns.

Best,

Geoff

Enthusiasm powers the world.

Craig Anderton's Archiving Article
Re: Greetings from HC Forums #389544 07/17/05 06:05 PM
fuge Offline
Hi Terry. \:\)

Re: Greetings from HC Forums #389545 07/17/05 06:12 PM
B
Brittanylips Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
B
So Mr. Knobs.

Now you make fun of me to mock my just cause my English not so good as yours and make little faces. And say barbed wire joke like barbed penis of cat.

Everyone so nice here. Why you have to come and say you put us in jail with OJ? You think we all in jail now? I think I see you Mr. knobs. I see. Your OJ welcome not so nice to Ron and Nicole or are we Cato the dog???

-Peace and love and brittanylips

Re: Greetings from HC Forums #389546 07/17/05 06:37 PM
Tedster Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
I think we should come to the Harmony Central forum in a spirit of friendship. To show them that we come in peace...to learn how best to serve the HC forumites...

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"
Re: Greetings from HC Forums #389547 07/17/05 06:49 PM
mdlestat Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by Brittanylips:
So Mr. Knobs.

Now you make fun of me to mock my just cause my English not so good as yours and make little faces. And say barbed wire joke like barbed penis of cat.

Everyone so nice here. Why you have to come and say you put us in jail with OJ? You think we all in jail now? I think I see you Mr. knobs. I see. Your OJ welcome not so nice to Ron and Nicole or are we Cato the dog???

-Peace and love and brittanylips
ROTFLMAO!!!

You're killing me----you really are \:D

PS--Mr. Knobs-- Cheers to you and Amen--

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
--Aristotle
Re: Greetings from HC Forums #389548 07/17/05 07:03 PM
theblue1 Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
"Walters" seems to be in control of Brittany today...

Thanks, Mr Knobs, for the welcome.

(I was just over at HC trying to log in. I'd registered there sometime previously and, even though I found myself on the roster (a huge pain to use... very 19th century) I couldn't use the info HC originally sent me to log in. I have to say that the bBulletin BB there seems only a few cuts above the hideous mess of a BB at Myspace. Extremely frustrating. But I'm sure I'll get it sorted out.)

Anyhow, I'm sure a good synergy will develop between the SSS regulars and the HC regulars... and we'll all end up being one big family. Of course, as anyone who grew up on 20th century drama knows... that can be a mixed bag. \:D

Re: Greetings from HC Forums #389549 07/17/05 07:08 PM
ViLo Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
I have about 800 posts in the HC Recording & Live forums, and more than 8K here, [Mr Knobs is a nice guy from Austin [Rigth?] about 3 hrs from Dallas] Always helpful, my experience with HC has been great excepet for Walter [remember him] he reported me to the Mod [Imagine that :rolleyes: ] and my threads were deleted \:D , but other than that it has been a great ride overthere

Jesus Is Coming, Make Music, Get Ready!
Re: Greetings from HC Forums #389550 07/17/05 08:48 PM
Gus Lozada Offline
10k Club
10k Club
Quote:
Originally posted by ViLo:
... excepet for Walter [remember him] he reported me to the Mod [Imagine that :rolleyes: ] and my threads were deleted \:D
... My HERO

\:D

J/K ViLo... you are the soul of "Nuestro Foro".

Músico, Productor, Ingeniero, Tecnólogo
Director de Ventas, América Latina y Caribe - PreSonus Audio Electronics

Instagram: guslozada
Facebook: Gus Lozada - Facebook

www.guslozada.com
Re: Greetings from HC Forums #389551 07/17/05 08:55 PM
CryoStasis Offline
Gold Member
Gold Member
mine too \:D

La nota exacta en el momento exacto.

http://www.wom.com.mx
Re: Greetings from HC Forums #389552 07/17/05 09:34 PM
Dave The Rave Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Mr.Knobs! Thanks for the welcome. I was just over on HC browsing the OJ for the first time and came across the OJ CD's. I bought both of 'em and then found I couldn't resist your Telling Stories "Greyhound" CD either. Looking forward to getting it into my iPod soon!

Cheers,
Dave
:DTR

Re: Greetings from HC Forums #389553 07/17/05 09:54 PM
ViLo Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Quote:
Originally posted by Gus Lozada:
Quote:
Originally posted by ViLo:
... excepet for Walter [remember him] he reported me to the Mod [Imagine that :rolleyes: ] and my threads were deleted \:D
... My HERO

\:D

J/K ViLo... you are the soul of "Nuestro Foro".
The only things that I said was that Walter was a troll going from forum to forum doing whatever he was doing......of course I wrote that several times on every Walter thread \:D \:D \:D ...I did not get banned....... ;\)

Jesus Is Coming, Make Music, Get Ready!
Re: Greetings from HC Forums #389554 07/17/05 09:56 PM
D
Dan South Offline
10k Club
10k Club
D
Hey Terry,

Thanks for your cordial posts. Don't worry about BL; he's usually quite eloquent, albeit a little full of himself. He's just pulling your chain. Maybe you're right. Maybe he's trying to imitate an O.J. style post.

Don't pay him any mind. We don't.

;\)

The Black Knight always triumphs!
Re: Greetings from HC Forums #389555 07/17/05 10:20 PM
dman Offline
Terry, thanks for your post. Thought I'm not a big poster but I've been coming to this community for a couple of years now a have always liked the vibe and the people.

Your post has recharged some confidence to this merge for me. Because to be honest after reading some of the posts on HC I couldn't see myself hanging around if that was the norm.

I'll sit back and let the pieces fall where they may. Thanks again

Re: Greetings from HC Forums #389556 07/18/05 12:23 AM
A
Anifa Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
A
Quote:
Originally posted by Dan South:
Hey Terry,

Thanks for your cordial posts. Don't worry about BL; he's usually quite eloquent, albeit a little full of himself. He's just pulling your chain. Maybe you're right. Maybe he's trying to imitate an O.J. style post.

Don't pay him any mind. We don't.

;\)
YO Dan,

Did Gus get you set up with an email that will allow you access over at HC? If not, I'll extend an offer to get you set up with one of my extra email accounts that I have rights to with my domain.

Terry,

I'll second what Dan is saying about BritannyLips' writing abilities; he's normally much more eloquent.

I sort of view Open Jam as being the eqivalent of MusicPlayers' SWEAT Forum; it takes a certain type of person to want to hang with the grunge.

You can take the man away from his music, but you can't take the music out of the man.

Books by Craig Anderton through Amazon

Sweetwater: Bruce Swedien\'s "Make Mine Music"
Re: Greetings from HC Forums #389557 07/18/05 02:52 AM
K
kylen Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
K
HC

It'll be OK - ain't nuthin but a party

Re: Greetings from HC Forums #389558 07/18/05 03:37 AM
fantasticsound Offline
10k Club
10k Club
Hello again, Terry.

Glad to see someone (actually, there have been a few "someone"s ) bridging the gap from HC with a friendly handshake and some guidance regarding the vibe at HC.

I have little doubt this will go a lot smoother than many believe it will.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick
fntstcsnd
Re: Greetings from HC Forums #389559 07/18/05 05:14 AM
Anderton Offline
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
I think it will go smoothly, too.

It's important to remember that a lot of people consider SSS to be MP.com's "OJ." Yes, SSS is the bad boy over here. Someone in management once said that the forum was "madness," and who am I to disagree ?

People tend to resist change but then once it happens, they get into it. I've seen this with magazines. A magazine does a redesign, and gets a bunch of letters from people saying "Now it sucks, it used to look so much better before." Time passes. A few years later, another redesign. Once more the letters come -- and they're from THE SAME PEOPLE who didn't like the redesign in the first place!

Now I have to say something else. I think the MP.com forums will be stronger in a way without SSS. The MP mags really, really need a place where people can discuss the articles and topics covered in the mags without a lot of distractions. My hope is that the reworking of these forums will lead to that: Greater interaction between reader and magazine. That would be ideal, and I believe, create the proper spirit for these forums.

I also have to say something about SSS. SSS is what it is. At this point it has a personality that is not simply an extension of mine. I try to respect that, and happily, so do the people who post in it.

MP is good. HC is good. Interaction is good. SSS is good. It's all good, and everything will work out fine.

Re: Greetings from HC Forums #389560 07/18/05 07:04 AM
boosh Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Hiya Knobs and welcome ;\)

I was welcomed very nice at O.J. and have no problems over at HC.

See ya soon on the other side, Booshy

Fan, nu pissar jag taggtr
Re: Greetings from HC Forums #389561 07/18/05 03:05 PM
H
henrysb3 Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
H
Thank you, Terry, for the welcome. I checked out your tunes - nice work. After having a similar first impression of Open Jam, I checked a much smaller area under my new name (it comes from Led Zep II). It was a moderated discussion that maintained some manners but still had some fun. There was some distress in a thread there that Musicians Friend had acquired Harmony Central.

I feel a little better now. We all have bigger shadows looming.

The older you get, the more you see that change is always inevitible, but not always positive. Not so long ago, who would have guessed that Ford would own Volvo, Aston Martin and Jaguar, or that Disney would control ABC, GM would own SAAB, or that Sony would conquer the universe?

To tell you the truth, I don't truly know what a troll is (other than the ones who collect tolls at bridges), but I have become aware of their work and have developed my own definition. They are those who stir the pot and occasionly throw something undigestible in the stew, then run away laughing to tell their friends, that as they may be. I also know kids a bit, having raised a couple. Messing with trolls and kids is one way of wasting time that is probably no better or worse than the million other ways we can accomplish that thru TV. Kids change, trolls don't. Old guys like me change slowly. I believe Craig brings positive energy wherever he goes.

Henry

He not busy being born
Is busy dyin'.

...Bob Dylan
Re: Greetings from HC Forums #389562 07/19/05 06:06 PM
Sneaky6 Offline
Hi Mr Knobs....you rawk!

Re: Greetings from HC Forums #389563 07/19/05 06:15 PM
Tedster Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Heya, Sneaky. In your avatar...is the bear taking a leak in the fox's mouth? \:D

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"
Re: Greetings from HC Forums #389564 07/19/05 06:22 PM
Sneaky6 Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by Tedster:
Heya, Sneaky. In your avatar...is the bear taking a leak in the fox's mouth? \:D
oh...thats what that is \:o

Re: Greetings from HC Forums #389565 07/19/05 06:23 PM
Sneaky6 Offline
\:\)

Re: Greetings from HC Forums #389566 07/19/05 06:55 PM
phaeton Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Umm.... Leak? More like spurt....

Dr. Seuss: The Original White Rapper(tm)
WWND?
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Anderton