Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#389457 - 07/16/05 10:19 PM Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
deanmass Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Freaking amazing...funny, cool , creative....loved it..

If you are on the bubble about it, go see it. I defy you NOT to be impressed...

This one stands on its own with its own identity. Took nothing away from the original. I am pretty amazed.

#389458 - 07/17/05 02:45 AM Re: Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
fantasticsound Offline
10k Club

Loc: Madison,TN, UNITED STATES
Glad to hear it!

Denise bought tickets this afternoon for the morning IMAX show. I better get to sleep. The show begins in 8 1/2 hours!

;\)

The original is one of my favorite movies, period. I'm kinda nervous. Love Johnny Depp's acting and role choices (Talk about a teeny bopper-idol who grew up!) and can't imagine a better casting decision, but Gene Wilder, IMO, struck the perfect balance between whimsy and laser sharp intellect that my reading of Charlie & The Chocolate factory was all about. When he rants at Grandpa Joe over the fizzy lifting drinks it always breaks my heart.. and what comes next always out tugs anything Spielberg's done on my heart-strings. ;\)

Still, I have very high hopes for this morning's film...

Soundclick
fntstcsnd

#389459 - 07/17/05 07:34 AM Re: Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
Felix_dup1 Offline

Loc: Portland,RI,UNITED STATES
Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory has always been one of my all-time favorite movies. Gene Wilder's performance was wickedly genius, and the rest of the movie followed suit. Both my sons love it too.

When we heard the new movie was coming out, we got the book for my 8-year old, and he had a blast reading it and noting the differences between the book and the original movie.

We'll be seeing the new movie today. I'm really looking forward to it, though I'm a bit concerned at Johnny Depp's take on Willie Wonka (judging from what I've seen in the commercials). It isn't as I imagined the character from the book (although Gene Wilder's portrayal isn't exactly what I read in the book either).

We caught an HBO "first look" featurette on Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, and it was pretty cool. The sets were built on the James Bond soundstage - huge, fanciful sets (not CGI added after the fact) and real squirrel actors (yes, you read that right). Sweet!

#389460 - 07/17/05 09:31 AM Re: Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
fantasticsound Offline
10k Club

Quote:
Originally posted by felix:
...We caught an HBO "first look" featurette on Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, and it was pretty cool. The sets were built on the James Bond soundstage - huge, fanciful sets (not CGI added after the fact) and real squirrel actors (yes, you read that right). Sweet!
That's funny, Felix!

Chitty Chitty, Bang Bang was written by Ian Fleming, author of the James Bond books and creator of the character. However, Roald Dahl wrote the screenplay for the classic movie starring Dick Van Dyke.

I guess what comes around... ;\)

One hour until we leave for Charlie & The Chocolate Factory.

BTW - I was rather surprised to learn that Star Wars, Episode III, though shown on some IMAX theaters, was not even in IMAX film format. (They can project standard 35mm films which take up less than the full screen.) At the same time Episode III was released we learned Charlie would be in IMAX format. I can't wait!

Soundclick
fntstcsnd

#389461 - 07/17/05 08:22 PM Re: Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
fantasticsound Offline
10k Club

Yeah, baby! The movie is fantastic.

Amazing as it seems, despite hitting all the same, major places within the factory, these movies are entirely separate. I could make comparisons, some in favor of the original, other in favor of the remake, but in the end they are both remarkable movies that stand on their own.

Essentially, IMO, the resemble two very different recordings of the same song, both of which share a melody but whose arrangements, harmonies, etc. create very different, pleasing results.

Kudos to Tim Burton, et. al.

Soundclick
fntstcsnd

#389462 - 07/17/05 11:31 PM Re: Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
deanmass Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Quote:
Originally posted by fantasticsound:
Essentially, IMO, the resemble two very different recordings of the same song, both of which share a melody but whose arrangements, harmonies, etc. create very different, pleasing results.

Kudos to Tim Burton, et. al.
Excellent analogy....

#389463 - 07/18/05 12:37 AM Re: Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
phaeton Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Die Land Of Cheese Und Bier
Yeah... i saw that it had been redone, and i was all "oh great, yet ANOTHER great film from the past that's been stripmined into something trivial and lame"....

However, i was pleasantly surprised. It stands on its own!

Also saw a preview of "The Corpse Bride", which looks damn awesome, IMHO....

#389464 - 07/18/05 06:33 AM Re: Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
Brittanylips Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: ,,UNITED STATES
I loved the original, and liked the remake.

The characatures of the hideous kids were great, and the scenery was pure "eye candy." But compared to the original movie, which culminates in the elevator smashing through the roof and Charlie winning, this one kind of petered out at the end. The whole final segment brought the movie down from the rarified world of Wonka into the mundane world of Oprah. It didn't have the same heartstrings that Neil mentioned above.

I liked Depp's Wonka at times, but at other times it seemed uncertain - trying to be wierd just to be wierd, or make something of the whole pop psych parent flashback thing.

I also didn't think the songs were as strong as the original. Well orchestrated, but on a fundamental level, not as good as songs.

The remake was good, but the original was great.

-Peace, Love, and Brittanylips

#389465 - 07/18/05 08:01 AM Re: Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
Felix_dup1 Offline

Didn't like Depp's take on Willie, and it surprised me, because it didn't seem true to the book (as I read it). I'm still trying to figure out whether Willie's childhood flashbacks added a lot to the film or not. I also didn't care for the end (which, again, wasn't true to the book).

What did I like? The kids and their parents. Charlie's family and the house they lived in. Burton did a good job of getting across just how expansive the factory was. The oompa loompa (x100 or so) was great, and I thought the musical numbers were a riot (complete with the morbid lyrics from the book).

Looking back, the plot device used for the original movie (Slugworth trying to get each kid to smuggle an everlasting gobstopper to him, and Charlie giving his back at the end, effectively winning him the prize) was fairly genius, even though it was not true to the book.

Wonder whether Burton will do the sequel, "Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator."

#389466 - 07/19/05 01:06 AM Re: Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
deanmass Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I am waiting for Burtons next one, Corpse Bride'

Ironically, the one niggle I had afterward was the music. Apologies to Elfman, I am finding his scores to be samey. The moer I thuoght about the phrasing and such, the more I flashed on the first batman movie.

Incidentally, anyone who has seen the new Batman flick, check out 'The Machinist' wih Christian Bale. It is amazing that he physically transformed from this character into Bruce Wayne.

#389467 - 07/19/05 10:34 AM Re: Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
not Cereal Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: FARGO NORTH DAKOTA
OOH OOH you said the N word.

#389468 - 07/19/05 10:48 AM Re: Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
RABid Online   content
10k Club

I don't know. Seeing Depp in the previews makes me think "Michael Jackson." It's hard to get past that.

Robert

#389469 - 07/19/05 06:03 PM Re: Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
deanmass Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Quote:
Originally posted by not Cereal:
OOH OOH you said the N word.
roflmao

#389470 - 07/19/05 09:35 PM Re: Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
Super 8 Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Loves Park, IL
Quote:
Originally posted by Rabid:
I don't know. Seeing Depp in the previews makes me think "Michael Jackson." It's hard to get past that.
Funny you should say that....

Quote:
From Ebert's review
What was he thinking of? In "Pirates of the Caribbean" Depp was famously channeling Keith Richards, which may have primed us to look for possible inspirations for this performance. But leaving "Pirates" aside, can anyone look at Willy Wonka and not think of Michael Jackson? Consider the reclusive lifestyle, the fetishes of wardrobe and accessories, the elaborate playground built by an adult for the child inside. What's going on here? Bad luck that the movie comes out just as the Jackson trial has finally struggled to a conclusion.

Hear my stuff here
"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
-- George Bernard Shaw

#389471 - 07/19/05 11:06 PM Re: Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
fantasticsound Offline
10k Club

Ok... I'll be more objective now that others have brought various issues up.

I can't dismiss the criticisms brought up here. I feel the same way about all of them. But in the end I still liked it.

One thing I didn't like that hasn't been mentioned is the boat scene. In the original movie, despite what are now such tame special effects, the characters other than Willy Wonka and the Oompa Loompas are visibly frightened.. and for good reason.

The new version has them jetting along at incredible speeds, splashing about like a boat in a hurricaine, yet no one really seemed frightened. I have to believe this was intentional, since it was universal. I can't understand why Burton chose to go that way.

And though I liked the music overall, I don't think it compares to the wonderful, original songs in the original version which are stern reminders that spoiling children, whatever the manner, results in hideously rude human beings.

Yes.. the Michael Jackson tie ins (his pallor, man-child, reclusive personality) seemed both out of place and a bit overdone.

But if we're going to tear it apart, at least we oughta give praise where praise is due..

The facial features, especially of Charlie's parents and grandparents, are lit and made up perfectly! They add an almost Disney-animated feature-esque feel to real people. And the birthday chocolate bar scene is done so well, despite knowing full well the outcome when he opens the Wonka-bar, it had both Denise and I in tears. Helena Bonham-Carter was superb, in a minor role. I'd love to see her get an Oscar nomination for best supporting actress.

The actor playing Charlie, and the one who played Grampa Joe were spectacular as well.

As for the end of the new movie, how could it possibly compare with the breakthrough of the Great Glass Elevator in the original, and Wonka's final lines, delivered brilliantly by Gene Wilder..

Quote:
(Wonka:) Do you know what happened to the boy who got everything he ever wanted?

(Charlie:) What?

(Wonka:) He lived happily ever after.
(The irony of how memorable those lines are is they were the first thing off the top of the writer's head, over a phone from the backwoods of Maine to the director in England. He'd gone home after finishing the screenplay.. or so he thought. They didn't have an end. The director and producers wanted an end with finality after the elevator breakthrough. He was in the backwoods fishing. They sent someone from the nearest town (Only place with a phone!) up to his cabin to fetch him. He was tired and upset at being interupted on vacation. After explaining what they wanted, they asked what he could come up with and, in a moment of flippancy he said those lines, verbatim. They said, "That's perfect!" and hung up the phone. He was astonished.

I suppose it was more astonishing, years later when Willy Wonka became a cult classic (It wasn't particularly successful in its' first run) and those lines became THE memorable lines from the movie. \:D

Soundclick
fntstcsnd

#389472 - 07/20/05 08:12 AM Re: Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
Felix_dup1 Offline

The new songs (whether you like them or not) got their lyrics straight from the book. It wasn't as easy to discern the lyrics (remember the original movie actually animated the text so you could read what they were saying), but the content is wickedly dark and basically delivers the same message about spoiled kids.

But fantasticsound, you are right, the magic was definitely there. I noticed it most when Charlie was opening the third chocolate bar, the one with the Golden Ticket - the entire theatre was breathless and perfectly silent at that moment.

#389473 - 07/20/05 08:00 PM Re: Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
JP11 Offline

Wow...I thought this movie was absolutely awful. Depp's Michael Jackson impersonation made the Willy Wonka character completely unappealing. A fey dolt telling bad jokes and running into walls?! Everything that they took from the original movie was not done as well (the children, for example, were so weak compared to the originals). The stuff they added, like Wonka's back story with his father, was predictable and only made the mysterious Wonka character no longer mysterious.

And the songs, oh my god...from bad Ricky Martin to bad 70s metal, what the fuck?

This movie replaced the heart and soul of the book and the original movie with typical Hollywood "heart and soul".

To me, it's just another of the bad bad bad Hollywood remakes...pointless crap that somehow makes millions (which of course means the remakes won't stop).

#389474 - 07/20/05 09:27 PM Re: Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
js Offline

Loc: Up and to the left
Quote:
BTW - I was rather surprised to learn that Star Wars, Episode III, though shown on some IMAX theaters, was not even in IMAX film format. (They can project standard 35mm films which take up less than the full screen.)
Former IMAX guy here - Showing a standard 35mm film on an IMAX screen is NOT sanctioned by IMAX. But some theaters do it anyway.

What you want are films that are in IMAX DMR. Currently Batman Begins and Charlie are both in this format.

js

#389475 - 07/21/05 03:07 PM Re: Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
fantasticsound Offline
10k Club

I understand. Wasn't insinuating that IMAX had anything to do with that practice.

Just shocked Lucas couldn't see the obvious advantages of IMAX DMR.

Size, in this arena, is absolutely important. ;\)

Soundclick
fntstcsnd

#389476 - 07/21/05 03:48 PM Re: Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
mdlestat Offline

Loc: NC
I saw it yesterday, and I was really pleased with it-- I found myself laughing a lot, and grinning even more. Nothing close to tears, but then I'm kinda cynical anyway--- I agree that the family was perfectly cast, and Depp did a good job of being wierd-- a bit strained here and there...but well done overall.

Burton is a generally great filmmaker in my opinion-- and he did well here. I, too, can't wait to see Corpse Bride-- just for the dark themes-- I love movies like that...

I haven't seen the original in 15 years, but from what little I remember, I think this is a compliment to it, as opposed to a replacement.

**and THE MACHINIST!!! Damn, I've meant to get that movie forever (since it came out)-- thanks for reminding me...

#389477 - 07/22/05 11:45 PM Re: Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
deanmass Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I was thinking some about WHO Depp is channeling.

I think I have it...

It is NOT MJ...

It is Dustin Hoffman as Tootsie.

#389478 - 07/23/05 12:25 AM Re: Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
Bruce Lash Offline

Loc: Chicago, IL USA
double post. sorry.

hey anyone listening to jolie holland? she's my new fave singer.

#389479 - 07/23/05 12:25 AM Re: Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
Bruce Lash Offline

Loc: Chicago, IL USA
haven't seen it yet--waiting to see it with daughter #1. anyway, read in the paper today that depp got his hair style for the film from brian jones of the stones. claims he wasn't channeling mj at all.

he's got a thing for the stones, don't you think, with "pirates" and all.

#389480 - 07/23/05 08:41 AM Re: Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
Tedster Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

We'll see if in his next movie he appears with a huge mouth. ;\)

#389481 - 07/24/05 07:25 PM Re: Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
Dan South Offline
10k Club

Loc: Metuchen,NJ,UNITED STATES
I purposely avoided this thread until I had a chance to see the movie. Now that I've seen it, it's enlightening to read all of your comments. I agree with all of you. The film was great. And it was awful. It was both at the same time.

;\)

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory is imaginative and visually spectacular. This is Tim Burton's finest film so far. On a technical level, "Charlie" is absolutely mezmerizing. If you are a fan of Burton's style, I would urge you to RUN, NOT WALK, to your local cinema and catch it on the big screen.

However, if you're not familiar with Burton's style and you find yourself thinking that a movie about kids visiting a chocolate factory sounds like good family fun, I'll caution you to at least see it yourself before deciding whether to take the family.

Tim Burton's films are weird, and "Charlie" is no exception. Burton seems to have some compulsion for the bizzare. Rather than just adding a bit of eccentricity to heighten the moviegoing experience, he sees fit to shove tons of off the scale weirdness in your face. Sometimes the stangeness is overwhelming. In "Charlie's" case, the trademark Burton weirdness is prominent than the story line, the outstanding cast, and the cinematic wizardry. Does it aid the story for Wonka to be so glib and shallow? Does his family backstory add anything that the average child will enjoy, much less understand?

I agree with the comment that Elfman's scores are tending to sound like imitations of previous scores. The song and dance numbers were inventive, but like the general sense of weirdness throughout, I felt that they distracted from the story.

That said, again, I'll sing praises of the film's visual impact all day long. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory provides a visual experience of great impact. This meticulous craftsmanship is worth seeing in and of itself.

Also, I absolutely *LOVED* the cast - young, earnest Freddie Highmore as Charlie, the always brilliant Noah Taylor and Helena Bonham Carter as his parents, the expressive David Kelly as Charlie's Grandfather, the ubiquitous Deep Roy, the uniquely creepy Christopher Lee as Willie Wonka's father, the marvelous naration of Geoffrey Holder, and of course those amazing little brats, er, I mean kids, Annasophia Robb, Julia Winter, Jordan Fry, and Philip Wiegratz. With a dysfunctional Willie running the factory, the kids were left to make or break the movie. They did an amazing job. I wonder whether they might qualify for some sort of 'Best Supporting Ensemble' award. Brilliant!

P.S. Depp didn't remind me of Michael Jackson. I actually thought that he was immitating a woman, some smarmy, spoiled, condescending, arrogant, clueless chick. Wonka seems more like Paris Hilton than Michael Jackson. I think that for most people, Gene Wilder remains the Willie Wonka to beat.

#389482 - 07/25/05 11:10 AM Re: Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
ToddP Offline

Loc: Las Vegas, NV
Quote:
Originally posted by Bruce Lash:
double post. sorry.

hey anyone listening to jolie holland? she's my new fave singer.
Love her!