Music Player Network
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Platinum Member
OP Offline
Platinum Member
First off, let me thank anyone with a "Get a Mac" suggestion for the helpful reply. ;\)

I bought a new SATA hard drive for my audio PC to dedicate to GigaStudio a couple days ago. I hook it up according to directions and it won't show up in explorer. After some research I get the suggestion to select “auto detect” in my BIOS. After doing that, my D drive goes missing as well! That's my audio drive! HELP PLEASE! \:\(

I now need for my machine to recognize my D drive that just went missing, and my new SATA drive that's never been found.

AZN8X Deluxe mobo with an AMD XP 3000 processor
1 gig of ram

I might call one of the home tech services tonight but perhaps someone can help me here and I'll save a couple bucks. I hope…

Sound, Studio, and Stage Island
Rim Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Auto detect usually works well. Try unplugging the new one and see if you can get your D: back. Otherwise, you may have to choose custom and enter the drive parameters printed on the drive label (cylinders, heads, etc.).

When you put your new SATA drive, did it show up in Disk Management (in Computer Management)? If it showed up, all you need is to create a partition on it and then format it.

Platinum Member
OP Offline
Platinum Member
Quote:
Originally posted by Rim:
Auto detect usually works well. Try unplugging the new one and see if you can get your D: back. Otherwise, you may have to choose custom and enter the drive parameters printed on the drive label (cylinders, heads, etc.).

When you put your new SATA drive, did it show up in Disk Management (in Computer Management)? If it showed up, all you need is to create a partition on it and then format it.
I only looked in Explorer. Where's "Disk Management?

I'll try unplugging the new one as you suggest, thanks.

I'm at work today, so any suggestions will be tried tonight. Thanks!

Right-click on "My Computer," then select "Manage" (4th one down.) From there, find "Disk Management" toward the bottom of the list...it's under "storage" in the old directory tree.

From there, you should be able to see all the drives it sees, whether they're a part of your "Windows" system or not.

"If more of us valued food, cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world." - J. R. R. Tolkien
Platinum Member
OP Offline
Platinum Member
Thanks Funkman!

Gold Member
Gold Member
First off, if your BIOS doesn't detect the HD there is no way windows will ever see it. I would first of all very carefully double chaeck the cabling then make sure that your BIOS has both the IDE and SATA interfaces enabled. Once this is accomplished you need to tell the BIOS what you want the boot order to be (ie; boot from IDE master).

Regardless of which Operating System you install on a computer, that machine must first recognize the attached hardware before the OS can use it. The exception to this is plug-n-play hardware which requires a PnP OS to use the hardware.

No signature required.
I
I
I just went through all this myself a few months ago. I did not experience the disappearance of the main drive, but my computer would not recognize the new drive at first.

It did involve some customizing of the BIOS settings (Basic Input Output System) and the instructions for how to do so were included with the new drive. I don't remember the specific steps, but your drive should have come with these instructions on how to get your computer to recognize it.

Sorry I couldn't be more specific, but I hope this helps...

Yes, there's bass in the caR-R-R-R-R
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
What Jon Doe said.

MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Have you got all the master/slave/single/master-with-slave-present jumpers set right? Should be a diagram right on the hdd itself, or in the destruction book.

If you don't, the BIOS won't see it and then nothing else will.

Some SATA drives say that setting this jumper isn't necessary, but i've also seen some that don't say that setting the jumper is unnecessary...

So i dunno. (I have all IDE myself)

Dr. Seuss: The Original White Rapper(tm)
WWND?
A
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
A
a) when the jumpers are set as phaeton says: System (C:) as master
The New (D:) as slave

(some HD brands have jumper setting on CS "cable select", and come like that when you buy them)

b) "The New" is formatted, (you do that in the disk managment)

d) In the disk managment "The New" is activated

then "The New" should show up in Explorer!

If not, try to activate "the new" one, once again in the disk management.

and all what Joe Doe said !!

-Peace, Love, and Potahhhhto
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
I've never seen jumpers on a SATA drive before. Most likely you have the SATA controller disabled in the BIOS.

MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
I've never seen jumpers on a SATA drive before. Most likely you have the SATA controller disabled in the BIOS.

I recall once seeing a WD740 Raptor SATA drive with jumpers on it. However, the thought occurs to me that even though the jumpers were the right number of pins in the right spot, they could have been for something else :rolleyes:

Dr. Seuss: The Original White Rapper(tm)
WWND?
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Oh yeah, I think you are right about the Raptor...I usually use Seagate SATA drives and they don't have jumpers if I'm not mistaken. I'm installing a Plextor SATA DVD Burner tonight so I'll have to check to see if it has anything.

Platinum Member
OP Offline
Platinum Member
OK... I'm about ready to go analog!

I got my system to recognize my audio drive again but still can't get the system to see the new SATA drive. Sort of...

Disc Management doesn't see it. Explorer doesn't see it. My BIOS doesn't see it BUT... when I'm starting up it's listed under the Raid set up as the master with "slave disc not found". This is during the Windows start up.

Does this mean my ASUS board will only allow me to add a Raid array, as in 2 drives! I hope not because I just want a 3rd drive installed, not a 4th too.

Boy, these computers have a way of bumming me out. I'm --- that close to calling Geek Squad, etc. I'll contact ASUS and Seagate both and see what's up.

BTW, the "set up utility" for the Seagate is a joke. It's got me going literaly in a circle of reboots, install utility, enter drive model number, etc. But it's a Godless loop! And NO directions other than

1. Start the included CD
2. Install the drive
3. Enjoy!

I've got 1 and 2 down pat.

How about a driver! Sheesh!

Sorry for the rant...

A
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
A
It's up to the type of RAID you where setting up initially.

i have a 2+0 RAID, in this configuratuion, i can add a Harddrive anytime later.

Platinum Member
OP Offline
Platinum Member
Right Angelo, but I'm not setting up a RAID. I just want 1 SATA drive in addition to my 2 IDE drives.

I think I just found the solution. ASUS, the maker of my motherboard, says that I have to copy some drivers from the website and I'll be good to go.

I thought the Seagate DiscWizard CD that came with my new drive would do all of that but... hey. These things can be a pain in the butt.

I'm getting dental surgery each afternoon this week so the dull, throbbing pain is not helping.

A
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
A
your computer has total 2 Harddrive:

System (C:)
AnyName (D:)

and you wanna add a third HD, on the same channel - is that right?

did you try to add (plug) the third, new HD on the second channel of the motherboard?

MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Maybe your SATA controller doesn't have drivers installed for it in Windows. If you open up Device Manager do you see any listings for a PCI Controller, etc., with an exclamation or question mark on it?

A
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
A
OK Lee, i spoke to the technician.

a todays motherboard has:

a) 2 IDE Ultra DMA channels,
on this two channels you can hook up 4 devices, two on each channel, i.e. DVD-ROM, CD-ROM, DVD-burner, CD-burner, and Harddisks.

b) 2 serial ATA (SATA) channels.
On each channel you can hook up ONE Harddisk only. This SATA channels only accept Harddisks, and nothing else at the moment.

So if you hook up a third device, you have to use the second Ultra DMA channel (->slow), or better one of the two SATA channels, (->fast).

get it?

Platinum Member
OP Offline
Platinum Member
Got it! Thanks. And... I've discovered my problem. SATA drives require drivers obviously. But not so obvious, to me at least, they require a FLOPPY drive to install. I built my machine without a floppy because I couldn't figure out how I'd ever use one. Yeehaw!

So... the setup CD that comes with my new Seagate SATA drive wasn't completing the install of the driver because it wasn't finding a floppy drive.

Who knew? Thanks for all the help everyone, and hopefully this thread will fade away... until tomorrow morning when I bump it 'cause it STILL didn't work. Naw...

Off to Fry's Super-Mega-PC-Mondo-Warehouse for that floppy...

Platinum Member
Platinum Member
One other not so obvious thing.

Sometimes motherboards have two sets of SATA. One kind of generic and one with a RAID chip. I can't find the specs for your mb, so I don't know if this is in play. Avoid the RAIDed pair unless you want a RAID.

Platinum Member
OP Offline
Platinum Member
That's a good point. I spoke with ASUS and the tech told me the pair of connections do double duty, RAID or single drives. Thanks.

Platinum Member
OP Offline
Platinum Member
AAAHHHHHHHH!

I've never had something so seemingly simple go sooooo south. In my attempt to simply add a 3rd HD, a SATA drive that is, so I could get rocking with GigaStudio... I've managed to completely hose my Windows set up.

I've re-installed Windows XP in an attempt to repair things and it's worse.

Explorer won't allow my to do a system restore because it won't allow my to do anything! (We need one of those cute little picture dudes with him pulling his hair out)

I'm getting ready to format a new C drive and reinstall everything. "Now, where's that serial number for my Waves stuff, oh here's Pro Tools info, no wait I've got a never version somewhere, Drumagog is ... where?"

AAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhHHH!

Moderated by  Anderton 

Link Copied to Clipboard