Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

anyone know anything about avatar cabs

Jay J.

I was looking at these guys and they look pretty nice, right now I am in the market for a 1X15 but the prices on them are so good that I could actually afford to get myself a nice rig together. I'm woundering if anyone has heard them or knows anythign about them. How do they compare to stuff like Hartke, Peavey, and some of the big guys SWR, Messa...I've never heard of them before today but the specs on them look pretty sweet for the price. here is their website: http://avatarspeakers.com

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Last I checked they were building and selling generic cabs on eBay with nothing special about the design. They were probably medium density fiberboard (heavy) boxes and baffles, and they were loaded with the cheapest drivers. For the bass it was the lowest RMS Eminences with the teensy magnets.

They didn't look like ripoffs though; they looked like poster children for You Get What You Pay For.

I'd check into what they are doing now but the javascript they depend on for their menu isn't loading or executing for me.

here is the info from their site on the 1X15 cab:

"The B115 bottom bass cab has an American made Heavy Duty EMINENCE KAPPA 15" bass speaker which is rated at 400 RMS Watts (800 max. watts) The 15 has a large 80 ounce magnet and a 3 inch high temperature vented voice coil. The enclosure is covered in black carpet, has protective corners, large recessed bar handles, and dual 1/4" in/out jacks (for daisy chaining with other speaker cabs) mounted on a steel plate. The 15 inch bass speaker is protected by a full face steel diamond pattern expanded metal grill. It is ported in the rear and is an 8 ohm system. This B115 bottom cab mates up beautifully with our 210/410 top cabs. Dimensions 25"H X 25"W X 16.5"D. Weight 45lbs. One year warranty and 14 day return policy."

Hey,

That doesn't look like a bad entry level cab. Great price. They've definitely been improving their lineup. And I see they are resellers for Eminence drivers; that's good to know.

But it has a pressed frame basket so I'd be leary of it holding up to continued high wattage pummeling. 15" speakers seem to benefit from cast frames because of their diameter. It might not hurt to email them and mention that you are interested in an Eminence Pro equipped cab.

Or look at Carvin's RL115, which already has one with a 600 watt rating, 4 ohms, for $310 shipped. That is an Eminence driver designed to Carvin's spec. Eminence is one of the largest OEM suppliers -- maybe the largest.

Archived