Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

rental

Tom Capasso

Last week a band that I work with asked me to sub at a practice for about 2 hours until their guy could make it. To get my bass, I'd have to leave work early to drive 30 minutes that way home and 50 minutes this way to the studio (in traffic). No way it would work. I told them I'd try to get a bass.

I went to the local Guitar Center where I've bought a cable, but nobody there knows me. I asked about rental, explaining I was subbing for a practice, and I didn't need anything in particular. The bass guy and some manager-type guy said no way. I said "I could buy anything and return it tomorrow - why not make a few bucks on it?". They said no - I went to the bass section and tried something out (give 'em some time to think on it). Sure enough, one of the kids there comes over and says I should go up front - they'll help me out.

I tell the bass guy that I'll take any old used thing - this way a ding won't cost them. He picked up some old thing (I didn't see what kind) and tried it himself and pronounced it unfit. As he's looking around, I point to a used Carvin 4 they are selling for $550. The guy tries it out and says yes (I had just tried it so it was OK by me). He writes me up as if I'm buying the Carvin and a gig bag (but handed me a cable), and off I go.

I get to the gig, and about half way thru, the G string breaks at the bridge. It's the old Wilkerson bridge, and I've heard this happens (I'm a fingerstyle guy, so I didn't pop it). I finish up on 3 (only occassionally playing a C on the A string, and then the octave on the absent G string). Otherwise, the Carvin sounds great and is very comfortable.

Next day, I brought it back to GC. They laughed about the broken string, refunded my money, and didn't charge me any rental. "Just come back and see us again" the bass guy said. This I didn't expect !!

How about you? Any rented/borrowed stories?

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tom, it is time to come clean. We all know about that Flea shrine in you basement. Yea, it was the bridge, whatever :rolleyes:

That is about the only nice thing I have ever heard about GC. In my experience with them, it was just a bunch of idots who were too busy spoiling Metallica riffs at insane volumes to actually be of any help. I am glad they are not all bad. The rental thing is actually a great idea. If they really wanted to make some dough they could charge by the hour to test gear (that aughta scare off those half-a#$ed Saterday afternoon VanHalen wannabees, finally, I can actually hear the peice of gear I am playing). That is a great story, and a clever idea!

BNC

I just found out that my sister knows the regional GC manager.... Hmmm.

Here on Long Island, we had only Sam Ash for many years. Pretty good selection, but you never knew what kind of salesperson you would get - I've had good and bad. My feelingis that GC has done a slightly better job with their staff, and their physical layout is better. I've been able to bargain a bit with both shops. The whole thing is still like other "warehouse" retail (Home Depot/Lowes). Sam Ash, GC, Mars - we're dependent on what they want to provide.

This whole thing reminded me of one of my favorite Zep quotes -

"where's that confounded bridge"

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Archived