Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Carvin AC40 ?

1carlos

so, i've had an Epiphone Acoustic 4-string for several years now and recently started using a Tech-21 acoustic DI. it's done the trick 'til now, but i'm considering a Carvin Acoustic. any owners out there? also, i'm encountering monitoring problems: feedback and (sometimes) just can't hear myself! any suggestions?

thanks,

juan

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, if feedback is a big problem, you'll love the AC40. It really isn't a true ABG in that it has no volume unamplified. It's amplified with a piezo (Fishman) just like all the ABGs out there, so through the amp it sounds like them. It plays great, very punchy and warm. The fretless in particular sounds dynamite.

------------------

www.edfriedland.com

Originally posted by Ed Friedland:

Well, if feedback is a big problem, you'll love the AC40. It really isn't a true ABG in that it has no volume unamplified. It's amplified with a piezo (Fishman) just like all the ABGs out there, so through the amp it sounds like them. It plays great, very punchy and warm. The fretless in particular sounds dynamite.

okay ... let me try that again.

http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif thanks Ed. is there another ABG out there i should consider? it seems the AC40/50 is the best deal for the money ... before i load on custom options, that is.

• 7 months later...

I'm "reviving" this thread because I'd like to get a decent fretless (without spending a fortune), & an electric/acoustic fretless sounds very nice. Right now, I'm thinking mainly of (1) the Carvin AC40F, (2) the Carvin LB70PF, & (3) the Godin A4 fretless.

The sound sample of the AC40F ("Jam Room") sounds FABULOUS: it has a warm, acoustic sound, with plenty of "mwaah," & the notes seem to blossom tonally as they sustain. The LB70PF is a solid-body, of course, so I expect it would have more of the "classic" electric fretless sound; but I really dig the piezo on a fretless. All of these basses include a piezo or transducer pickup.

I have never heard the Godin; can anyone shed light? Does it sound more like a fretless bass, or like an amplified upright? Thoughts on the others, as well? Any that I'm not considering, but should (in this price range)? I'd like something with a very singing quality (OK, I'll say it--that "Jaco mwah"), like a good solid-body, but also warm & mellow, like an ABG. Thanks!

Originally posted by dcr:

Thoughts on the others, as well? Any that I'm not considering, but should (in this price range)?

I'm not sure on your price range but the only acoustic bass I'd ever get is a Martin B-1 or an Alvarez. Both don't have the thin, trebley sound so many acoustic basses tend to and both have decent piezos.

Another probably not in that price range is the Turner Renaissance. Only played one in a store for a short period of time and didn't have the time to plug it in, but I really liked the way it sounded and felt. My first test for a bass is to play it unplugged. If it doesn't feel and sound right from the start I won't even try it plugged in. If I was in the market to buy a fretless I would definitely check this one out plugged into an amp. I'm sure there are others here who have tried this bass and have an opinion, maybe they could shed more light.

Wally

I have basses to play, places to be and good music to make!

Archived