Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Good beginner bass?

ian1642605905

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Get something used. Bring an experienced bass player with you. Avoid active electronics in cheap basses, as they tend to be cheap active electronics. Guild Pilots are terrific, cheap, and plentiful used, as are Japanese basses from the 80's (Aria, Vantage, etc). Some of the 80's pointy headstock metal basses are also pretty good instruments for next to nothing, if you can get past the looks.

Good advice here. My two cents additional: I like Fernandes basses, also, they make some good stuff cheap. Plus, take along an experienced bass player if you possibly can when trying out beginner basses. An experienced player can sort the wheat from the chaff quickly.

Let me echo pfunku's recommendation of the Carvin LB20. I got one used on ebay for about $300 - that was a steal!

Check out the paper, too. I got my first bass there, an old Ibanez ATK. It did a fine job.

SlimT

It's all about the rumble.

several months ago i bought a mexi-precision that's just outstanding! perfect intonation, low action, loud output....

there was a sticker of an eyeball at the top of the headstock. when i finally peeled it off, it said 'squier series' underneath it! since i got the bass for $100 i didn't feel cheated- but i am a little mystified!

when did fender make squiers, called fenders, in mexico? it has a 3 ply pickguard, one piece body, sheilded cavity...

anyway, the point is you can get excellent basses for under $300!

the mtd 'kingston' is a bass i really want to try firsthand too- when i saw the picture in the 'bass player' review, i thought it was a great looking bass, and i was blown away when i read the glowing review and saw the price!

for basses i've personally played, the mexi-squier-fender i have is the best bass i own, hands down. i have an american jazz too, but the 'p' i the first one i grab for hitting the stage.

i also have a $100 ibanez bass (the standard ibanez shape, with one p-pickup) that's a blast to play too- if you want to play 'lead' bass it's great due to the extra frets. sounds fine, too.

• 2 weeks later...
Ian - it all depends on how you define "moderately priced". When I used to give lessons, I used to recommend buying a good bass. If you can spend $600 on a first bass, then do (and maybe compromise the amp). I feel that a quality-made first bass is important for building proper technique and developing a good musical ear. Think how much money people spend on a "beginner piano". I wish I had a US-made Fender (or Ric) as a first bass, and not the little Hofner 500/1 that I had.

I recently recommended the MTD Kingston to a friend and beginning bassist. All the reviews rated the Kingston highly as great quality for a decent price. But when we went to try one, we discovered that the Kingston does not have any inlayed position markers on the fretboard surface. My friend was intimitated by a "blank" fretboard, but ultimately decided to buy the Kingston.

Anyway, this got me thinking about the value of position markers on the fretboard. Some high-end luthiers don't use any inlays in order to give the fretboard a "clean" appearance. But I've discovered that when I'm learning to play a new piece, I'm constantly looking at the position dots! I just never realized I was so dependent on them as a crutch...

Lakland, the MTD Beast and Grendel are that way too, with markers along the edge but not on the fretboard. I hardly noticed when I switched to a Beast as my first-choice bass but I agree it might be tough for a beginner.

Ian*,

I'm going to toss in my recommendation for the Fender standard series, the made-in-Mexico things. I have two, one each Jazz and Precision, and I couldn't be happier. For the money you'd invest ($300-$350) they're great. Solid contruction, good fretwork, decent electronics, and a great, classic sound. They're true workhorses & won't fall apart on you. Out of the two, I'd suggest the Jazz first, as it's more versatile, but it really depends on what you're playing & what tone you're after. You can approxomate a p-bass tone with a jazz by turning down the bridge pickup & things like that, but I assume you won't be dorking with the tone too much right off the bat. You can certainly get better quality instruments than the MIM Fenders, and as much as I love Fender, I won't say that there aren't better basses out there too (as in "boutique" basses). But they'll cost you alot more than I bet you want to spend right now. And if, down the road, you decide that you want to improve what you have, then that's no problem, since there's no shortage of aftermarket parts & electronics for Fenders too. If you're so inclined, you can eventually slap a better bridge & pickups on it & you're good to go. You really can't go wrong with a Fender. At least that's my 2¢...

Regards,

~Griff

Regards,

~Griff

Musician's Friend just came out with a special on DeArmond Pilot Plus 5 strings, in white and transparent red only, for $170. I haven't played one of these, but I did play the higher-priced $600 neck-through Pilot and was impressed at the price. Might be worth checking out.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/ex/shop/home/010809054445198115160190251671?pid=510831

Archived