Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Who plays Laklands?

dansouth

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I bought a used 55-94 Lakland fretted (5-string) in mint condition over the web ($1600. from guitar resurrection - http://www.guitarrez.com ) about a year ago and I really love it.

Mine's flame maple with birdseye maple fretboard. I've also got a Music Man Sterling 4 string fretted with maple fretboard and a '66 Fender P-Bass and over the years I've played a variety of Fender P's and Jazzes, a Rickenbacker, and a Alembic Epic.

The Lakland 55s 2-Bartolini pu config allows you to get a LOT of different kinds of tones. I can get something that sounds a lot like either my Fender or my Sterling. As you may know, it's preamp has treble, mid, and bass gain and a pan pot to blend neck and bridge pickups (which I really use a lot). There's a bridge pickup coil-selector switch that I'm a bit vague on about what it does literally (anyone out there have some wisdom?). It's a 3 position switch (bridge, neck, both) and aurally I notice that it changes the tonal contour of the sound from something mid-scooped (neck position), to somewhat neutral (both) to rather trebly (neck). Combine that switch with the other controls and as you can imagine, there are lots of possibilities!!

Also, it's a string-through body design, so you thread the string in through the back. Requires slightly longer special strings, though they've also provided holes in the bridge if your favorite string isn't the required length.

There is a dipswitch inside the backplate that controls the center point of the midrange pot (150Hz, 500Hz, 700Hz, or 850Hz).

About my only complaints are that the battery (1-9v) is behind the backplate that requires moving 4 screws instead of the pop-out design that the MusicMan uses. Also, I would have liked to see them put the mid frequency center switch right on the face of the guitar (possibly make it a ring on the mid frequency pot).

Since I've gotten the Lakland, I've gigged with a contemporary country artist (I used the Joe Osborn Lakland flatwounds and LOVED them), and done some pop/rock recording.

The Lakland shows a higher level of precision workmanship and quality than any bass I've owned before. The chrome components (tuners, bridge) have NO little flaws at all in them like you see on many other new instruments. The neck is quite comfortable for a 5 string.

If you can find one in your area, I'd recommend going out and trying one. I live in the Northwest and they show up around here VERY rarely so I had to buy "hand unplayed!" (That's like sight unseen!).

hope this helps

rick clingman

songseeds.com

richard

songseeds.com

I played on a new Jerry Sheff model and loved it. It's a 4 string with Kent Armstrong lipstick tube pickups. It's like a Danelectro, but in a real serious package. It has amazing fat tones, a great slap sound, and a very tight bridge pickup sound. A very cool bass!

------------------

www.edfriedland.com

I've got a question on the 55-94's pickup selector switch and blend knob. If I solo the bridge or neck pickup, I notice that the blend knob still has an effect. I wouldn't expect it to. Anyone know what's going on here.

Nice to hear about the new model. Sounds cool. I've got a Bob Glaub and a couple of 55-94's. They're so good that I sold or gave away all of my other basses.

Hi dansouth,

I did a little more digging on that switch that is on the Lakland 55.

That switch on the 55 isn't a pickup selector! It is a coil selector for the BRIDGE pickup. The bridge pickup has two coils in it. The switch selects either the coil closest to the bridge, OR the coil closest to the neck, OR both.

The only way to actually "solo" a pickup is to rotate the blend pot from one extreme to the other.

clears things up, doesn't it?

Yeah, I like my Lakland so much, I'm about to part with my MM Sterling! I'd love to get a 55 fretless!

rick clingman

songseeds.com

richard

songseeds.com

Archived