Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What makes you buy an instrument?

David R.

I just read the gas attack thread and wondered what makes others buy an instrument. For me to buy one, it really has to call me. I might even dream about it that night. I pick it up and it's love at first fret. Can not even imagine buying a guitar or bass from a catalog, they vary so much within the same model/year. Ed described a EB Music Man, yup, happened to me and now she's mine (5 string). I have played Mexican P-basses that kick serious booty, and American ones that felt like doo-doo.

And you?

-David R.

-David R.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

David R sez..........

>> I have played Mexican P-basses that kick serious booty, and American ones that felt like doo-doo. And you? -David R <<

Ditto..... I have a Yamaha BBG5S..... Have played others and swear that if I had played that one first that i would of never purchased one. I learned a lesson there, but not until just recently when I played a couple of Mexi JBass. One was fabulous, the other to me was just a plank. I believe this theory to hold true, to a degree, no matter what price range.

Mo

Well, I think playing it first does have a lot to do with it. Any production line axe will vary from one to the other. This MM just felt right. When it lets you do all the stuff you usually struggle for effortlessly, that's a good sign.

On the other side of the coin, I have owned many Carvins (yes, I'm an endorser) and ordered them through the catalog. I've liked some better than others, and they aren't exempt from the production line variance. But looking back, most of the ones I sent back were a product of me discovering what my preferences were in terms of woods, pickups, hardware etc. In the years I've been associated with them, they have more than doubled their options in those categories, and I've had the chance to try out alot of their new developments. Some I like, some I don't. Now that my preferences have been firmly established, I've played a lot of their Swamp Ash, maple fingerboard instruments and find them to be very consistent. Of course, like any mass produced instrument, some have the "magic" and some are just good representations of what the instrument should sound like.

------------------

www.edfriedland.com

Feel - An instrument has to be comfortable and give me that sense that it's built to last.

Tone - Must match your technique, playing style, and musical genre. Extra credit if it works well live and in the studio. In this regard, old Fenders and their derivatives (MM, G&L, Sadowsky, Lakland, etc.) have never been surpassed.

Looks - There are lots of nice sounding basses, so why go out on the town with a dog on your arm?

I do most of my bass shopping on the net, these days. It's far from perfect, but it beats driving 5-6 hours to a large city where the closest decent music stores reside. (We do have a Guitar Center, for all that's worth.)

In the absence of being able to play an instrument, firsthand (by far the best way to tell...) I look at the wood. Figured maple on the neck is a good sign. Attractive grain patterns on a clear-finished body are also a plus. I know the different models and manufacturers pretty well, so I generally have a pretty good idea of what I am looking for (and at).

I read the descriptions carefully. If the seller describes small flaws in scrupulous detail, that's a good sign; it means they're honest. I avoid people who hype their axes too much and make it sound like their $300 Samick is the most awesome specimen in the history of the universe. You definitely can't take most descriptions at face value.

In the past few years, I've bought a few stinkers, most of which I've been able to re-sell at a small loss. Usually, I've re-couped the loss in gigs played, fun had and experience gained. In one case, I did get stuck with a hideous, homeade ABG that's probably going to be mine forever, unless I write it off and give it away (but I actually do use it for rehearsals...)

I've also gotten some tremendous bargains on some wonderful instruments.

If I pick up a bass, it feels sweet, and my fingers start playing things that don't sound like ME, then I buy it.

The only bass I have purchased without ever touching, was my Conklin 7-string. And it is now my primary bass. I LOVE THIS BEAST!!

I rarely plug a bass in when I am testing it out. I want to hear the wood, the neck, the harmonics, etc. A bad set of pickups can be rectified with $100, but a bass with bad wood or dead spots in the next cannot be fixed.

I love all of my basses: Rickenbacker 4001, fretless Jazz bass, fretless Yamaha RBX260f with Bartolinis, Conklin 7-string, Washburn AB-20 acoustic electric, and an Ibanez Musician. Now all I need is a Wal and a MusicMan and my stable will be complete! :-)

- Christian

Budapest, Hungary (in the UK this week)

www.Crunchy-Frog.com

• 3 weeks later...
I bought a Cort Curbow 4 a couple of days ago, the looks got me, the feel, the weight, but after 2 nights at the gig, I noticed several dead spots that changing brands of strings and tweaking couldn't fix. I learned a lesson (again), don't be fooled by the looks! I could have used that advice in my last marriage, BTW. 8=D

I'm willing(and indeed have done so) to buy strings,cables,mics,recorders, and mixers by mail,but I've got to hold an instrument in my hands and get to know it before the plastic comes out of my wallet.I just bought a Yamahe RBX6 JM and I first tried it out over a year ago and spent several afternoons trying this particular bass through different amp setups before deciding,and I'm glad I did 'cause now I know it and love it.

Archived