Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Varying meters?

How do you think varying a song's meters between shuffle beat for the verses, and straight time for the choruses affect the flow of the song?

Can you name any songs that use rhythm change in this fashion?

Amateur Hack

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

as an exercise, you can try all sorts of things. But when I write a song, I'm not thinking about this stuff, I'm writing a song. The changes in meter or time sig are natural and work, and I figure out what they are after the fact.

Bill

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

Well, that's my point. It's after the fact now, and I'm questioning it. I know there are no rules, but I'm curious if it just sounds good in MY head, y'know? That's why I'd like to see some examples of varying meters between verses and choruses in popular songs. Every song I can think of in shuffle rhythm, stays in shuffle rhythm throughout the entire song, and vice versa for straight time.
Amateur Hack

One example is "Yer Blues by the Beatles. It doesn't strictly alternate but the rhythm does shift between shuffle & straight eigths a couple times.

In fact they did a lot of tunes thoughout their career that featured various rhythmic/metric shifts.

Archived