Music Player Network
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#33678 02/17/02 01:23 AM
OP Offline
I haven't posted for a while ,I have a bunch of new rough,avant-Bop,fusion,bloozy and NOT SMOOTH Jazz pieces for your critical attention. and would also love to see more jazz music from others to listen to on this great forum
mp3.com/Stanley_Sagov

[ 02-16-2002: Message edited by: sagov@bellatlantic.net ]

Sound, Studio, and Stage Island
#33679 02/17/02 01:28 AM
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
nah....

we're LAKERS fans

#33680 02/17/02 01:54 AM
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Quote:
Originally posted by Cereal:
nah....

we're LAKERS fans

I've always hated the Lakers.

So Many Drummers. So Little Time...
#33681 02/17/02 03:04 AM
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Quote:
Originally posted by KHAN:

I've always hated the Lakers.

I can understand your bitterness

#33682 02/17/02 04:07 AM
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Quote:

I can understand your bitterness

You can?

Interesting, since I have no idea why I hate them.

Could you fill me in?

#33683 02/17/02 05:35 AM
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Cuz they probably beat the snot out of your favorite team

#33684 02/17/02 06:13 AM
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Quote:
Cuz they probably beat the snot out of your favorite team

My favorite team WAS the Buffalo Braves, who ceased to exist a long long time ago.... \:\(

Now I really couldn't give a Rat's ass! \:D

#33685 02/17/02 06:15 AM
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
But for some reason I still hate the Lakers....

#33686 02/17/02 06:26 AM
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Quote:
Originally posted by KHAN:
But for some reason I still hate the Lakers....

What label are they on? They sound like a pretty rough bunch.
Is it "acid" jazz?
Fuckin Druggies

#33687 02/17/02 06:33 AM
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Pro sports bores me anyway.

As to jazz-It usually bores me too unless some guy is totally kicken it up. Big swing OTOH is a whole different ballgame. Brian Setzer, or any of the old-time heroes can kick some serious butt

#33688 02/17/02 09:44 AM
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Quote:
nah....

we're LAKERS fans

Unless the Wizards and MJ are playing that is.....

Guitar Lessons in Augusta Georgia: www.chipmcdonald.com
Eccentric blog: https://chipmcdonaldblog.blogspot.com/

/ "big ass windbag" - Bruce Swedien
#33689 02/17/02 09:47 AM
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
No, wait, I'm not finished... I'm not a Jazz fan, but I *am* a Stockton fan.

Karl Malone has John Stockton to thank for his career... that's why he seems to miss All Star games - by himself he's just a really big fouling whiner of Danny Ange proportion and he probably knows it.

#33690 02/17/02 04:44 PM
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
....the perfect reason to watch the outdoor channel, with all the alt sports, biking of all kinds, surfing, snowboarding, etc......maybe even some hippiefied frisbee competition!
To get back to the original post....I like jazz from the twenties and thirties....when it had lots of blues still in it.....really cool.

Down like a dollar comin up against a yen, doin pretty good for the shape I'm in
#33691 02/17/02 06:03 PM
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Don't know why this guy likes Jazz, his home team is the Celtics

#33692 02/17/02 06:04 PM
M
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
M
Well, I am a Jazz and a Lakers fan.

Love Russell Ferrante, Jimmy Haslip, Shaq O'Neil, Kobe Bryant, Dave Weckl, Derek Fisher, Bob Mintzer, Tom Kennedy, Devean George, etc.

Albert

Gear: NS3 HP76, Mojo 61, NS2 73, NS 88 classic, Deepmind 12, C. Bechstein baby grand.
#33693 02/17/02 06:36 PM
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Heck with the NBA...

REd WinGS RUlE!!

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"
#33694 02/17/02 06:46 PM
H
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
H
Man, you guys are ruthless. I guess I am the only true jazz fan here. That's what I do and that's what I love. Chick Corea, Jarrett, Miles, Mingus, Coltrane, Eric Dolphy, Ornette, Metheny, Phineas Newborn Jr., Clifford Brown, Wayne Shorter, Zawinul, Lovano, Herbie, Liebman, Towner, Elvin, Dexter, Oscar Peterson, Sco, Mathew Shipp, Braxton, Freddie Hubbard, Bird, Nguyen Le, Bill Evans, Duke, Monk, Brecker, Maria Schneider, Mendoza, Joe Henderson, Holland, Fats, Rollins, McCoy Tyner . . .

All the best,

Henry Robinett
#33695 02/17/02 06:53 PM
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Quote:
Originally posted by henryrobinett:
Man, you guys are ruthless. I guess I am the only true jazz fan here. That's what I do and that's what I love. Chick Corea, Jarrett, Miles, Mingus, Coltrane, Eric Dolphy, Ornette, Metheny, Phineas Newborn Jr., Clifford Brown, Wayne Shorter, Zawinul, Lovano, Herbie, Liebman, Towner, Elvin, Dexter, Oscar Peterson, Sco, Mathew Shipp, Braxton, Freddie Hubbard, Bird, Nguyen Le, Bill Evans, Duke, Monk, Brecker, Maria Schneider, Mendoza, Joe Henderson, Holland, Fats, Rollins, McCoy Tyner . . .

Geez, I never knew those guys shot hoops! Much less for Utah...

Hey, we jes' be playin' 'round!.

I love all that stuff...hey, you forgot the late great Joe Pass!!!

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"
#33696 02/17/02 08:53 PM
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Quote:

I like jazz, but have not bought any new stuff for years.
I like the old stuff, like Miles and Duke and Sonny Rollins, Brubeck. Love Mingus, some Coltrane,Bird always kinda bored me, Clifford brown was amazing,Keitht Jarret is sublime.

I also like alot of electric stuff, sco, elektik band, yellowjackets(Haslip kills me), Steps ahead etc etc

I'm off to check out Stanleys tunes!

#33697 02/17/02 10:35 PM
M
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
M
Quote:
Originally posted by halljams:

I also like alot of electric stuff, sco, elektik band, yellowjackets(Haslip kills me), Steps ahead etc etc

I'm off to check out Stanleys tunes!

Hey halljams

Have you heard the new Yellowjackets CD Mint Jam? Great stuff, and Haslip really shreds. Too bad you're not in soCal. The old YJ are reuniting for a concert with Robben Ford, and their first drummer (his name escapes me). Also, next Sunday, Ferrante, Haslip and Vinnie Colauita are playing a benefit concert for a fellow musician who's recently undergone some serious surgery and is now recovering and in need of money...

Check it out here.

My Favorite Jazz Band

Albert

Gear: NS3 HP76, Mojo 61, NS2 73, NS 88 classic, Deepmind 12, C. Bechstein baby grand.
#33698 02/17/02 10:51 PM
D
10k Club
10k Club
D
Quote:
Man, you guys are ruthless. I guess I am the only true jazz fan here.

Bit of a leap, isn't it?

My faves: Tatum, Blakey, Parker, Armstrong, Bix, Clifford (god of the trumpet), Coleman Hawkins, Larry Carlton, Pat Metheny, Weather Report, Phil Woods, Flecktones, and Ellington. I'm also a big fan of swing era music in its original and later (Sinatra, Riddle) incarnations.

The Black Knight always triumphs!
#33699 02/17/02 11:07 PM
A
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
A
Yeah, this thread really did get sort of hijacked there for awhile...

I'm a jazz fan, since my teens. I first got hooked to it by my next-door-neighbor, a guitar player who turned me on to a lot of stuff. When he pointed me towards John McLaughlin, that started me off -- from there to Miles' electric stuff, then back to Miles in the 50's, and from there to Trane, Weather Report, Herbie Hancock, Tony Williams, and wider and wider all the time out to Bird, Pres, Art Tatum, Louis Armstrong, Charlie Christian, Art Blakely, Larry Coryell, Bennie Maupin, Charles Mingus, Dave Holland, Sun Ra, Cecil Taylor, Carla Bley, Gary Burton, Joe Pass, Wes Montgomery, Bill Evans...

I tended at first to go for the electric fusion-type stuff, coming out of my high school years when it was Cream, the Allman Brothers Band, the Beatles, Led Zeppelin... but then I was all over it. I've always tended to like stuff most from the bebop era on; never was a big-band swing fan, and the older stuff is I guess just a little too distant and dated to really grab me (except for some of Armstrong's classics). And I've always enjoyed good jazz-rock fusion to this day -- Bill Frisell, Mike Stern, John Scofield, Wayne Krantz, Leni Stern, Tribal Tech... never liked the "smooth" stuff and all the faux jazz like Kenny G and Najee (yeeeech)....

#33700 02/18/02 12:36 AM
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Quote:
Originally posted by tuttorney:

Hey halljams

Have you heard the new Yellowjackets CD Mint Jam? Great stuff, and Haslip really shreds. Too bad you're not in soCal. The old YJ are reuniting for a concert with Robben Ford, and their first drummer (his name escapes me). Also, next Sunday, Ferrante, Haslip and Vinnie Colauita are playing a benefit concert for a fellow musician who's recently undergone some serious surgery and is now recovering and in need of money...

Check it out here.

My Favorite Jazz Band

Albert

Hey can you email me?
jimholland@whtvcable.com

#33701 02/18/02 02:46 AM
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Since we're talking about Jazz..sort of. I have a pet peeve. One of my favorite bands is Spyro Gyra. Maybe because I play sax and keyboards and can relate to the kinds of music they do. What bugs me is they have somewheres around 20 albums out and Tom Schuman, the keyboard player never even gets mentioned in any keyboard poll. I personally think the guy is an excellent player and should at least get mentioned. I keep hearing about Trent Reznor from NIN and just don't get it.

As a horn player I've been listening to jazz since I can first remember. Getz, Paul Desmond, Mulligan..those guys could play. Tom Scott, Michael Brecker, David Sanborn and a ton of others aren't too bad either.

Mark G.
"A man may fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he begins to blame others" -- John Burroughs

"I consider ethics, as well as religion, as supplements to law in the government of man." -- Thomas Jefferson
#33702 02/18/02 03:48 AM
H
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
H
I've always listened to jazz and always aspired to play it. It was part of my household. I like all of it, from the Be-Bop of Bird and Diz, to the sheets of sound of Coltrane, inner and outer space, to the Yellow Jackets and Pat Metheny. Even the old big bands of Duke and Basie to the modern work of Gil Evans, Schneider and Mendoza. I gravitated to the fusion stuff with Mahavishnu as well. It was Hendrix that got me excited about being a guitarist. But as I was listening to "Voodoo Chile" I was also listening to Eric Dolphy, Mingus, Coltrane and Ornette. I've always been that way. I was in the 7th grade when I gave a special report in music class and played "Black Saint and the Sinner Lady" by Mingus and "Bitches Brew" by Miles Davis. And I was in the 6th grade when I was checking out "Out To Lunch" by Eric Dolphy. Always I was trying to stretch my ears.

Jazz is just a hard music for the uninitiated to break into. It's unforgiving and demands your attention or you'll be lost.

All the best,

Henry Robinett
#33703 02/18/02 04:24 AM
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Quote:
Originally posted by GZsound@hotmail.com:
As a horn player I've been listening to jazz since I can first remember. Getz, Paul Desmond, Mulligan..those guys could play. Tom Scott, Michael Brecker, David Sanborn and a ton of others aren't too bad either.

Paul Desmond! Oh yeah.

#33704 02/18/02 06:11 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Quote:
Originally posted by GZsound@hotmail.com:
I have a pet peeve. One of my favorite bands is Spyro Gyra...What bugs me is they have somewheres around 20 albums out and Tom Schuman, the keyboard player never even gets mentioned in any keyboard poll. I personally think the guy is an excellent player and should at least get mentioned.

THANK YOU!!! Tom Shuman is one of my favorite keyboardists of any style, and he's also a pretty cool guy. Maybe he's not as high profile because he was in Dave Samuels' shadow for so long, but I agree the guy is a monster. If you need any convincing, just check out his trio version of "Shaker Song" on their "Road Scholars" CD. The man can shred those keys! \:\)

Peace all,
Steve

><>
Steve
#33705 02/18/02 06:57 AM
M
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
M
My love affair with Jazz started in the summer of 1985 when a neighbor heard me playing my fender Rhodes and came to chat. He turned me onto the Yellowjackets and I was hooked. I've listened to everything from John McLaughlin, Al Di Meola, Wishful Thinking, Patrice Rushen, and Pat Metheney to Steps Ahead, the Rippingtons, Dave Weckl and Chick Correa. I still love the Yellowjackets' work since they are so amazingly resourceful and their sound changes over time but always remains distinct to them. Great musicians these guys are....

Glad to see so many Jazz lovers. I don't consider myself a Jazz player but more of a blues player with some Jazz overtones....

Albert

Hey Sagov

I took a listen to some of your music. It sounded great to me. Interesting Piano work. Keep it up..

#33706 02/18/02 10:53 AM
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
I like music.

#33707 02/18/02 06:01 PM
H
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
H
Quote:
Originally posted by Chip McDonald:
I like music.

I absolutely agree. However there's always a certain type or style in any art or thing that specifically rings one's bell. And especially if you want to play it well you must immerse yourself in it. And because of the depth of the music you can't immerse yourself half way. I play and appreciate all musics and the older I get this becomes more, not less, true. I just bought a Taylor and I've been finger picking bluegrass and country type tunes. ME!! I've always played in the odd rock band, especially original bands But my main identity has been be-bop, standards, avant-garde and fusion type groups. That's just what makes my interest and imagination pique. For me it's not a "better than-worse than" scenario, other than for me personally. *I* prefer it, but I don't expect my appreciation should be global. I do get tired of the bias on forum's like this; like jazz is the distant and ugly step child. But jazz is just not popular and it's fans wouldn't like it any other way.

All the best,

Henry Robinett
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Anderton 

Link Copied to Clipboard