Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

It is time to start my Christmas shopping.

Every year I choose an item, hopefully $20 or less, and give it to everyone. Some people get more items, but it gives my Christmas a theme for the year. I think the most popular was the year I gave CD's of Vince Guaraldi - A Charlie Brown Christmas. Between family and work I have probably given 20 copies over the years. My great niece and great nephew may get vinyl copies this year. One of the least sucessful years is when I gave harmonicas and how to play books. I thought it was a great idea but I don't think anyone I gave a harmonica to actually learned to play. Last year I went away from a music theme and gave Prismacolor color pencils and books on how to draw. This year I am thinking about yoyo's. The Recess First Base is a great responsive yoyo for $20. Sure there are a lot of $10 or less yoyo's out there but I've found that they can be frustrating for a new person to learn on because they don't have a long spin time. It is like giving someone a cheap guitar with strings high up oiff of the frets. Oh, wait. Charlie Brown may not have been my most popular gift. One year I gave 9" x 9" covered baking pans make in the USA, with my locally famous brownies with fudge icing inside. It took a while to make 16 batches of brownies and icing but it really went over.

So while this may be the year of the yoyo I am always looking for something music related to give. Any ideas or suggestions? Do you ever gift a bunch of the same item during a year?

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

I create a night photography calendar every year, and give this to family as gifts, and sell a small run of the rest. I've been doing this for a few years now.

I create a night photography calendar every year, and give this to family as gifts, and sell a small run of the rest. I've been doing this for a few years now.

You just gave me a great idea. My dad was 1 of 12 children. 11 lived to have families of their own. A few years ago I created a Facebook group for the family. I should throw out the idea of us doing a family calendar. One month per kid. I think I will get on Facebook now and present the idea.

One of the least sucessful years is when I gave harmonicas and how to play books. I thought it was a great idea but I don't think anyone I gave a harmonica to actually learned to play.

That's because they didn't know that the key to successful blues harp playing is not to play in the harmonica's native key. Most blues harp is done cross-harp, i.e., a fourth above - so to play in E, you'd use a harmonica in the key of A. Then, blast it out through an amp, and you're good to go.

But I like how Ken's suggestion led to your idea, which is kinda brilliant.

Hey, RABid -

If you"re wondering what to get me, the Hydrasynth Deluxe would be appreciated!

:P I don't even have one for myself. I thought about getting the Hydrasynth desktop for myself as a birthday present but ended up with the Roland Versalab MV-1. Taking my sister to Hobby Lobby and Marshal's today for stocking stuffers. I really am getting an early start. This year instead of wrapping paper to fill the landfill I am using storage boxes which everyone can use.

Well, still looking for music ideas and may pick a Christmas movie or concert on DVD to buy a bunch of copies of. One thing I did buy multiples of that worked out well it playing cards. On Amazon you can buy some really nice decks. Star Wars, James Bond, art deco, etc... I got about 10 packs and they are going in Christmas baskets along with yoyo's, drawing sets and maybe, ... just maybe ... I will give a few sets of drum sticks as my music item.

Every Christmas for about 5 years running, I go visit with my friends and have Christmas dinner.

I always bring jumbo scallops, butter and garlic and sauté the scallops. By now, when they invite me they always say "you're bringing scallops, right?"

On Christmas day I call my two sisters and my brother and have conversations.

That's about it, once in a while I get a card. That's fun.

Family is spread far and wide and none of us have kids. So I miss all that fun, hope you enjoy double-quadruple-umpty-bajillion for me!!!! :)

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

Had it done a month ago. I am a man among men among drunk elves.

Outside of something specific, I find that people appreciate odd foods, books and DVDs/Blu-Rays just fine.

I also had the pleasure of adding to the kitty so a friend's family could buy their talented kid a used Nord e-piano.

He's coming from an old upright and a Yamaha PSR, so he's gonna crap a Christmas goose. :rawk:

"Why can't they just make up something of their own?"
           ~ The great Richard Matheson, on the movie remakes of his book, "I Am Legend"

I also had the pleasure of adding to the kitty so a friend's family could buy their talented kid a used Nord e-piano.

He's coming from an old upright and a Yamaha PSR, so he's gonna crap a Christmas goose. :rawk:

He's gonna flip out!! What a great present!

• 1 year later...

It's that time of year again. I'm trying to wrap up Christmas shopping. Looking for something musical that I have not given before but that is hard. I'm split into four areas so far this year.

Vera Wang towels. I got a set for myself using Kohl's bucks and thought "Wow, everyone should have one set of really good towels." Then I found sets on sale and bought a few. It is MUCH cheaper to buy sets than individual pieces.

For my annual "Made in America" item I went with SimpleShot sling shots, ceramic pellets (bio degradable), and target boxes that catch the ammo for reuse if you are good enough to at least hit the box.

My "what made you think of this" gift this year is hacky sack balls. Everyone I know could use a little exercise that will help balance and cardio.

And thanks to the other thread here, Apple Air Tags.