Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Hammond B-3X for IPad

I've bought an iPad Mini 5 and the app (B-3X for iPad) just for this app...But the app is unusable. Lots of hangin notes...It is my setup?

Try some other MIDI apps (e.g. the free version of Korg Module, whatever). If other MIDI apps are similarly problematic, then it's not anything specific to B3X... it could be flakey cabling, for example. If everything works except B-3X, though, that would lead elsewhere.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

And maybe try another controller keyboard too.

I haven't tried running it on iOS 15 yet so that could be it. But I have had stability issues with B3-X when using it with other apps. The main problem I had was switching to Korg Module or Model D and then going back to B3-X it would reload. I never found a solution and ending up using VB3m instead.

Try it in airplane mode. One other thing none of my iPads are cellular models.I will update our family iPad later and try it out.

[Edit] - I have just had a look at iOS15 and it's a big update. I reckon I'll skip that for a while. Like ImproKeys says major iOS updates can affect these apps.

The main problem I had was switching to Korg Module or Model D and then going back to B3-X it would reload. I never found a solution

Did you have background audio turned on for B-3X? It's not obvious... the setting is not in the app itself, it's in General-->Settings-->Hammond B-3X

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

The main problem I had was switching to Korg Module or Model D and then going back to B3-X it would reload. I never found a solution

Did you have background audio turned on for B-3X? It's not obvious... the setting is not in the app itself, it's in General-->Settings-->Hammond B-3X

Yes - has to be switched on even if you don't want to play the B3-x in the background. If it's switched off there's a bit of a delay and some clicks when you switch to it.

The setup is: Module Pro (CH-4), Model D (CH-5) and B3-x (CH1-2-3). Background audio running on all of them. The problem usually occurs when I switch from Model D to B3-x, that's when it resets and the B3-x loading screen appears. Very annoying. It is possible though to not have to switch to B3x at all with a good controller - but that's not really a solution.

Yes - has to be switched on even if you don't want to play the B3-x in the background. If it's switched off there's a bit of a delay and some clicks when you switch to it.

Right. "Background audio" doesn't fully explain what the setting does. It keeps the app active. Without that setting enabled, the app is likely to be purged from memory when not in use, and will have to reload when you switch back. I'm surprised that you still had the problem depite that setting. Hmmm!

I don"t think it would ever be purged it"s just not using any resources, sleeping I suppose. So it takes a little time to wake up. One further thought is that as Model D and B-3x need a lot of power, especially with a buffer size of 64, a more powerful iPad might not have an issue. I"m running an 2018 iPad with an A10 so probably pushing it. A bit greedy trying to run both at the same time maybe. I will try setting the buffers higher and see if that stops it resetting.

I don"t think it would ever be purged it"s just not using any resources

As I understand it, any background app without background processing enabled is considered purgeable. So if you're running, say, Korg Module, and it "asks" the OS for some more memory, the OS will grab it from any place it may be available, and an inactive app's memory is considered available. (And if it asks for more memory than is available, it will exit... which is the main reason apps just shut down on you, running out of available memory. This is one of the biggest differences between iOS and MacOS... on a Mac, additional "virtual" memory can be created in a swapfile located on disk, iOS does not do that.)

I gave up on using Audiobus to go between B-3x and iM1. I now do it manually. I have both set to not play in background, and this is working fine on my ipad 9 with iOS15.02 on it. Not had any hanging notes, crackles or the like, at have latency set low.

I do find B-3x does re launch itself if i switch using the task manager, which is annoying as it i loose any adjustments ive made if i haven't saved them.

Sticking with it though. As much as i feel Vb3m was more than enough for me, B-3x just seems to come alive more with a loud band.

• 2 weeks later...
Honestly, why can't b3x just allow for different channels for drawbars as well as notes?

I noticed there are a couple of old Native Instruments B4D controllers for sale on reverb.com at the moment. Based on this mapping chart for Logic Pro, it looks like it sends both sets of drawbar commands over the same MIDI channel, so that could be another option for someone who doesn't want to bother with the complication (or possible additional latency?) of inserting a conversion app between your hardware and B3X. But yeah, B-3X should have an option to support each manual's drawbars on the same MIDI channel as the drawbars themselves. They also should update their Hammond compatibility to support the SK Pro, which, itself, irritangly does not use standard MIDI CCs for percussion and C/V, nor does it appear to use the same commands that previous Hammonds used, so you can't pick something like SK1 or XK5 and expect those mappings to work. So again, you'd have to use something like Keystage, Midiflow, etc. to do the appropriate mapping.

Honestly, why can't b3x just allow for different channels for drawbars as well as notes?

I noticed there are a couple of old Native Instruments B4D controllers for sale on reverb.com at the moment. Based on this mapping chart for Logic Pro, it looks like it sends both sets of drawbar commands over the same MIDI channel, so that could be another option for someone who doesn't want to bother with the complication (or possible additional latency?) of inserting a conversion app between your hardware and B3X. But yeah, B-3X should have an option to support each manual's drawbars on the same MIDI channel as the drawbars themselves. They also should update their Hammond compatibility to support the SK Pro, which, itself, irritangly does not use standard MIDI CCs for percussion and C/V, nor does it appear to use the same commands that previous Hammonds used, so you can't pick something like SK1 or XK5 and expect those mappings to work. So again, you'd have to use something like Keystage, Midiflow, etc. to do the appropriate mapping.

I actually don't have the legend anymore. I have an skpro. Sadly, because of the way it sends midi, the skpro doesn't work either. That being said, the skpro is pretty damn good, but it would be nice to experiment with b3x

I'm still humming along pretty well with the IOS version. I too have noticed the reloading behavior if I do some things in IOS...when I use the behringer xr18 app to adjust something in our mixer, it doesn't cause a reload, but using another audio app seems to. Right now I don't use any other audio apps live but was planning to maybe do it.

I get a little weirdness with gain but it's pretty understandable I think...I have an "ipad patch" on my MODX that is dedicated to B-3X, no internal sounds. On some songs I fade the volume out using the super knob, which I have mapped to leslie amp gain. If I switch MODX patches and do other things, then come back to my B-3X patch, the gain tends to still be down and I have to wake it up with a quick jog of the super knob. In other words, loading the MODX patch doesn't send any kind of initial values to the ipad, and I don't have any patch change set up (as I tend to only use one B-3X patch and change things on it as needed using controllers and the drawbar presets). This might be something worth considering, a patch change coming from the MODX. It's a minor and unsurprising issue, which is notable since that's really the only problem I've had recently. A few gigs ago the app couldn't see the MODX for a bit, had to connect and reconnect and then it started working.

I'm still humming along pretty well with the IOS version. I too have noticed the reloading behavior if I do some things in IOS...when I use the behringer xr18 app to adjust something in our mixer, it doesn't cause a reload, but using another audio app seems to. Right now I don't use any other audio apps live but was planning to maybe do it.

I get a little weirdness with gain but it's pretty understandable I think...I have an "ipad patch" on my MODX that is dedicated to B-3X, no internal sounds. On some songs I fade the volume out using the super knob, which I have mapped to leslie amp gain. If I switch MODX patches and do other things, then come back to my B-3X patch, the gain tends to still be down and I have to wake it up with a quick jog of the super knob. In other words, loading the MODX patch doesn't send any kind of initial values to the ipad, and I don't have any patch change set up (as I tend to only use one B-3X patch and change things on it as needed using controllers and the drawbar presets). This might be something worth considering, a patch change coming from the MODX. It's a minor and unsurprising issue, which is notable since that's really the only problem I've had recently. A few gigs ago the app couldn't see the MODX for a bit, had to connect and reconnect and then it started working.

I use mine pretty much the same way. I did have the Superknob mapped like you, but found i wasn't actually using it so dont bother with it now. I find it easier to use the USB in knob to control the level. It seems more reliable and easier to know how exactly loud the iPad will be. I was getting in to a bit of a state, what with Leslie gain, Expression and Volume all making a big difference to the output.

The MODX can send volume info to the iPad, but it only gets sent when the Performance is called up, you cant have different parts with different levels. You need to enable Midi Send in the Zone Master section for this to work. I have a default iPad performance set up with volume 100, Midi Channel 9, which i insert in to other Performance when needed. I also have this set to not enable the internal sound for the part.

• 3 weeks later...
The main problem I had was switching to Korg Module or Model D and then going back to B3-X it would reload. I never found a solution and ending up using VB3m instead.

I too have noticed the reloading behavior if I do some things in IOS...when I use the behringer xr18 app to adjust something in our mixer, it doesn't cause a reload, but using another audio app seems to.

I'm also experiencing reloading, and yes, it seems to depend on what it is you're switching to. But I did find a solution... play B3X through Camelot Pro, and then you can switch (not just to different things in Camelot Pro, of course, but even to other audio apps that normally cause B-3X to stop), and B3X will continue to work fine. It's possible that other host apps (like Keystage and AUM) might work for this as well.

• 1 month later...

I"ve noticed the same problems with the B-3X IOS module. It seems to be stable as long as you don"t do any app switching. Once you start switching between it and even only one other running app, the B-3X will sometimes become totally unresponsive to both local and MIDI commands. The only remedy is to kill and restart the B-3X. I"m running it on an iPad mini 6 under iOS 15.2 with only one other app running (SongBook +).

I"ve opened a case with the vendor but so far haven"t received any response.

I"m using it pretty successfully under iOS 15.2 on an iPad mini 6. I"m using a third party usb-c interface that has a usb 3.0 port and a 3.5mm audio jack. Never have any hanging or missed notes.

I"ve opened a case with the vendor but so far haven"t received any response.

Unfortunately, in my experience, that's not atypical.

I haven't used the Ipad version as much, but the first thing I do on the OSX version is turn off any of the rack reverbs and compressors.

Those have always been memory hogs, and oftentimes that helps give the app some processing headroom.

Besides the Leslie, I do use the spring stomp box.

I've tried really hard to do app switching, and have found the most fool-proof system in a critical live situation (at least for me) is to just use one single app. Control apps, and chart programs usually can easily co-exist. Once you get past that it's always a dice roll.

Chris Corso

www.chriscorso.org

Lots of stuff.

IK tends to abandon apps once they are completed. At least my experience with iLectric piano suggests this.

Funny, so does Hammond with their keyboards......

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

The main problem I had was switching to Korg Module or Model D and then going back to B3-X it would reload. I never found a solution and ending up using VB3m instead.

I too have noticed the reloading behavior if I do some things in IOS...when I use the behringer xr18 app to adjust something in our mixer, it doesn't cause a reload, but using another audio app seems to.

I'm also experiencing reloading, and yes, it seems to depend on what it is you're switching to. But I did find a solution... play B3X through Camelot Pro, and then you can switch (not just to different things in Camelot Pro, of course, but even to other audio apps that normally cause B-3X to stop), and B3X will continue to work fine. It's possible that other host apps (like Keystage and AUM) might work for this as well.

The main problem I find through host apps (AUM and Camelot) is bit rate mismatches when apps load, causing distortion and crashes. The main culprits are Ravenscroft, Neo-Soul Studio 2, and B-3X which are the most RAM-intensive apps in the chain.

Nowadays I'm just using Kronos61 sounds for everything except Hammond, so B-3X is the lone iOS instrument and that's stable.

Here for the gear.

I am having an issue where it will not retain the MIDI channel selections. It always reverts to Upper ch1, Lower ch2 and Pedal ch3. Setting it under the "gear, or cog" icon at the top which I assumed was an app wide "system" setting. Every time I go to use it in an other setup I have to keep resetting it to the channels I want.

This is on the iOS version.

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

Time is the final arbiter for all things

anyone know if/when b3x will go on sale again?

you can sign up for an alert at appsliced.co

I am having an issue where it will not retain the MIDI channel selections. It always reverts to Upper ch1, Lower ch2 and Pedal ch3. Setting it under the "gear, or cog" icon at the top which I assumed was an app wide "system" setting. Every time I go to use it in an other setup I have to keep resetting it to the channels I want.

Unless already ruled out, it's possible those settings could be a per-patch thing. If so, you should notice the asterisk next to the patch name, but worth trying to save the patch again after changing those channels. I use one patch so I wouldn't have noticed this being an issue for me...I use ch. 10 for the upper channel simply because it's then away from the MODX internal channels; I haven't had that change on me.

I HAVE had the drawbar presets change on me when I hadn't made changes to them...that has me a bit confused but it's easy enough to just adjust them again. I do end up using these since I have a MODX7 and they live on the lower octave. The bad side of that is accidently hitting them if you swipe up or down (forgive me if there are actual organ terms for these type of gliss activities!)

Unless already ruled out, it's possible those settings could be a per-patch thing. If so, you should notice the asterisk next to the patch name, but worth trying to save the patch again after changing those channels. I use one patch so I wouldn't have noticed this being an issue for me...I use ch. 10 for the upper channel simply because it's then away from the MODX internal channels; I haven't had that change on me.

I HAVE had the drawbar presets change on me when I hadn't made changes to them...that has me a bit confused but it's easy enough to just adjust them again. I do end up using these since I have a MODX7 and they live on the lower octave. The bad side of that is accidently hitting them if you swipe up or down (forgive me if there are actual organ terms for these type of gliss activities!)

Thanks, fwiw I have not noticed any asterix appearing (as it does for any direct patch tweaking) when I change the system MIDI channels, but I'll do it again to make sure. tbh, it would be a bit weird to have that on a "per patch" basis, or then again maybe not...

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

Nope, no asterix appears....seems like this is "hard-wired" into the app...I can change it but it will only retain it if I save the preset. Sent a message to IK Tech Support to get it clarified.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Hello folks,

I found some time to unbox my new iPad yesterday (it's just the base 9th gen model), so installed B-3X and spent a little time playing.  I had purchased the app a while ago and tried it on my ancient 1st gen iPad Air, which obviously struggled to produce a smooth sound, but hadn't really taken much of a deep dive..

I also received the Roland Rubix 22 audio interface that I plan to play the iPad through, however the Lightning USB adapter has not arrived yet, so I skipped the interface and controlled B-3X from my NE3 SW73, with the mi.1 II BT MIDI adapter.  I was able to set the buffer to 64ms, and found everything extremely responsive - I honestly couldn't perceive any latency, despite the wireless connection.

I have a few queries regarding B-3X:

1. It seems that there is still no way to disable the bottom-most preset keys, despite requests from users, correct?.  I wonder if this is a contractual obligation with Hammond?  I'm used to playing organ on my Nord, so have never experienced these preset keys.  Depending on the song I'm playing, I set-up a lower/upper split in order to make full use of the available 73 keys.  I guess, I'll have to do this on B-3X, or Camelot Pro once I start to dig into that app.

2. On my Nord, I use the switch pedal to trigger slow/fast Leslie, and have assigned the CC# to also work the same way in B-3X. However, on the Nord, the brake can alternate from stop<-->fast using the same switch pedal.  Is this possible in B-3X also?  I saw CC# assign settings for a separate Brake pedal, but would like to be able to use the existing switch pedal and toggle between stop<-->fast as I do on my Nord.

3. Similar to #1, is there a way to allow the top-most C#/D/D#/E keys to trigger a sound?  Even if these are outside of the "real" playing range of a real Hammond, it would be desirable to be able to trigger notes, again especially when using an upper/lower split in order to make full use of the keyboard.

Thanks guys!

Cheers,

James

x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.