Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Live Performance in the Age of Covid

I hope he heals completely.

We never-ever let anyone use our microphones. We bring an additional mic for others to use.

I have a friend who got COVID along with the rest of his band. One of them died, and he was not in the vulnerable group, age or health-wise.

We've been getting gigs, but we're only accepting outdoors, to reduce our risk. We're fully vaccinated and looking forward to a booster as soon as it's available for us.

Of course, we're not safe, but we're playing the odds the best that we can.

Notes â«

Bob "Notes" Norton

Owner, Norton Music http://www.nortonmusic.com

Style and Fake disks for Band-in-a-Box

The Sophisticats http://www.s-cats.com >^. .^< >^. .^<

Even before COVID it really bothered me when someone in the audience would just come up and start singing harmonies (or try to) on a chorus at one of our front line mics that were not being used. (The thoughts that would go through my mind at these times were something like: "Did you rehearse singing harmonies with us? No, you didn't. We have the harmonies covered, and we rehearsed them. Alot. Sit the ___ down.")

Thanks, I feel better now.

Even before COVID it really bothered me when someone in the audience would just come up and start singing harmonies (or try to) on a chorus at one of our front line mics that were not being used. (The thoughts that would go through my mind at these times were something like: "Did you rehearse singing harmonies with us? No, you didn't. We have the harmonies covered, and we rehearsed them. Alot. Sit the ___ down.")

Thanks, I feel better now.

Product idea: Discreet high-voltage static electricity generator, connected to the mic. A companion iPhone/Android app, "AssAway," turns it on and delivers a shock to whoever is singing. Just tap the AssAway button, or if the person is a real jerk and needs to be taught a lesson, tap the BigAssAway button. A footswitch would be optional at extra cost.

Update on the UK side: with "vaccine passports" now in effect (where you must prove via a government app/website that you've been double-vaxxed to get into certain events), we had a sold out gig last week where the venue purposefully reduced the max capacity from 650 down to 500, so that said passports wouldn't be necessary (AFAIK, anything beyond 500 requires the passports). I'm not going to comment much more on this, because I know there are stark differences between the UK and the US when it comes to stuff like this, but everyone seems to be playing along. To be honest though, given how utterly packed out the place was with 500 people in it I've no idea how the heck they'd fit another 150 people in that hall, or what difference another 150 bodies would have made.

There's a noticable difference in how gigs currently feel compared to 2 years ago. We've had a few sold out gigs over the past couple months in mid sized venues (~500-600 people) and they've honestly been some of the best gigs we've ever played. Everyone is up for it. The crowd (and band) are wild, non-stop, start to finish. We've had to introduce a couple of slower songs into our set just to give ourselves (and them) some breathing space. I think it's less to do with us and more to do with the fact that people are desperate to party after 18 months of being cooped up. People seem to be ravenous for a good time.

It looks like things are back to normal where I am, though England (where the laws are more lax than Scotland, where I am) are looking like they may be heading for some sort of lockdown trouble again, but these are just rumours.

All in all, I am fully on board with and enjoying gigging again.

Hammond SKX

Mainstage 3

It looks like things are back to normal where I am, though England (where the laws are more lax than Scotland, where I am) are looking like they may be heading for some sort of lockdown trouble again, but these are just rumours.

When you say "everyone seems to be playing along," do you mean that they're honoring the vaccine honor system?

When you say "everyone seems to be playing along," do you mean that they're honoring the vaccine honor system?

Yes. There are a couple of complaints I'm seeing on social media, but on the whole everyone is happy to do whatever if it means getting to go out again. As I said in my last post, the vast majority of adults (rougly 80% now, maybe) have had their two shots, so for most people the biggest difficulty with the vaccine passport system is downloading and using the app.

Hammond SKX

Mainstage 3

nadroj, I'm happy for you and jealous. Here in Florida, 'vaccine passports' and 'mask mandates' are illegal and subject to huge fines per incident. Good luck on your gigs, I hope they are profitable, successful, and you and your audience remain healthy.

Notes â«

Bob "Notes" Norton

Product idea: Discreet high-voltage static electricity generator, connected to the mic. A companion iPhone/Android app, "AssAway," turns it on and delivers a shock to whoever is singing. Just tap the AssAway button, or if the person is a real jerk and needs to be taught a lesson, tap the BigAssAway button. A footswitch would be optional at extra cost.

*immediately buys stock in Anderton Ltd*

Play. Just play.

We have 2 gigs this weekend, both on Saturday. Busy day!!!

Then, I am hesitant to take any more gigs up here for the foreseeable future. They will all have moved indoors.

It's hard to say at this point if anybody will book anything anyway. There are mandates in place and I'm good with that.

There are also a growing number of clubs that require proof of vaccination and a mask (how can people eat or drink?) for entry.

I had the Moderna vaccine, stats show it provides the longest lasting protection against infection and I still got Covid, despite being careful. The rest of the band all got Pfizer, which stats show does not protect against infection for very long but it does reduce the risk of a severe case and/or death so it is much better than nothing.

We'll know more about the situation in January or so. I suspect this winter will go missing in terms of gigs and I'm OK with that.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

Two venues that hire 2 of my bands has just asked me if we're read/available to play. But they have both said that it would be at a "discount" because money is tight. At Venue A a $600 gig has now become a $400 gig so with two 5-piece bands our earnings would drop from $120 a night to $80. At Venue B we were paid $500 and they want to reduce it to $350, reducing our earnings from $100 to $70.

I haven't run it past the band members yet but expect that the response will be lukewarm.

Two venues that hire 2 of my bands has just asked me if we're read/available to play. But they have both said that it would be at a "discount" because money is tight. At Venue A a $600 gig has now become a $400 gig so with two 5-piece bands our earnings would drop from $120 a night to $80. At Venue B we were paid $500 and they want to reduce it to $350, reducing our earnings from $100 to $70.

I haven't run it past the band members yet but expect that the response will be lukewarm.

I would express understanding and sympathy but suggest they contact me later when things become more stabilized. I completely understand that things have been tough but, for me anyway, I'm retired and the thought of getting off my couch for anything less than $100 hasn't occurred to me in years.

On another note, we saw Barenaked Ladies on the 3rd St. Stage free concert at Fremont Street in Vegas last Saturday night. It was a great show with many in attendance.

For me it would depend on how good of a customer they are.

If they had been hiring me month after month, year after year, I'd give them a discount with a definite end date.

We played once-a-week in the same place for 12 years running. If they asked us to give them a break, I'd do it. After all, we've been in this together and they've been taking care of us all these years.

We play another place once or twice a year for 10 or more years, they wouldn't get a break because they haven't been taking care of us, just hiring us.

If you decide to give them a discount, you might be able to negotiate a bit more, or have them throw in a meal or something.

Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton

The goodwill might be worth it for future gigs. I don't think they're necessarily trying to nickel and dime you, things really have been tough. Or, they might be able to do something for you, like give you their mailing list, or sell your merch even when you're not around.

For me it would depend on how good of a customer they are.

If they had been hiring me month after month, year after year, I'd give them a discount with a definite end date.

We played once-a-week in the same place for 12 years running. If they asked us to give them a break, I'd do it. After all, we've been in this together and they've been taking care of us all these years.

We play another place once or twice a year for 10 or more years, they wouldn't get a break because they haven't been taking care of us, just hiring us.

If you decide to give them a discount, you might be able to negotiate a bit more, or have them throw in a meal or something.

Notes

Both bands are hobby bands, one of them averages 12 gigs per year, the other 6-8. The 2 venues are responsible for about 10 gigs a year, so although that's about half our gigs we're really just being hired (as you stated).

The goodwill might be worth it for future gigs. I don't think they're necessarily trying to nickel and dime you, things really have been tough. Or, they might be able to do something for you, like give you their mailing list, or sell your merch even when you're not around.

They have been suffering. I'm going to suggest to the band members that maybe we accept a reduced payment at first but to let them know that if we draw crowds like before then the pay rate has to be revisited.

In these times of hardship, I think we should be helping each other out.

The thing I fear is if you go in with a reduced rate, they will never want to pay you your previous rate.

That's why I suggest an mutually agreed on end date for your rate reduction, and depending on how well you know the client, you might want it in writing. "In writing" can also be a dealbreaker so be sure to assess the client before you suggest this. If you are working with a contract, some wording in the contract should be sufficient.

Insights and incites by Notes â«

Bob "Notes" Norton

They have been suffering. I'm going to suggest to the band members that maybe we accept a reduced payment at first but to let them know that if we draw crowds like before then the pay rate has to be revisited.

I think Notes is right - get a friendly agreement in writing that charts a path back to normal. It could be based on an end date, a certain number of gigs at the reduced rate, or the number of people in attendance.

As long as what you do is in a spirit of cooperation instead of resentment, if the owners are good people they won't forget you had their back when they needed it.

I think Notes is right - get a friendly agreement in writing that charts a path back to normal. It could be based on an end date, a certain number of gigs at the reduced rate, or the number of people in attendance.

As long as what you do is in a spirit of cooperation instead of resentment, if the owners are good people they won't forget you had their back when they needed it.

We don't have contracts with either place, just a verbal agreement. They've always paid us what they promised and in fact have tipped us on occasion when they've had a great night. I remember one night we played it was -30 and turned into (almost) a blizzard. Now we're on the Canadian prairies so that's "normal" weather. But still, we probably should have spoken to the venue and agreed to cancel but we didn't. Maybe 16 people showed up and by the start of our last set there were 4 people left in the place as the weather continued to deteriorate. They still paid us in full even thought they lost money that night.

So we do have good relationships with both places and if band members agree then perhaps we can give them a break once, letting them know that it's not the new ongoing rate.

In the outdoor gigs that we play regularly, we have this agreement.

If it rains, and we get canceled before we start the gig, we don't get paid. Cancel can be done by either the band or the management.

If we set up equipment, and it rains, we get paid.

I tell them, we play for free and get paid to lug the gear.

It sounds like you have good relationships with the venues, so I would think an informal letter or a handshake, depending on how well you trust them to limit the number of times you play at the reduced rate, would be adequate.

Good luck.

Notes â«

Bob "Notes" Norton

I've been telling people that for years except I use the term funiture movers instead of gear because my stuff weighs about the same as a living room set...

Something I really don't get. I got the booster and flu shot together last week (one in each arm) and my two closest friends who are both vaccinated are refusing the booster. They're making basically the same argument the anti-vaxxers make and you know how it is. All I can do is mention the booster but I'm not about to lose friends over it. Both were reluctant to get the jab in the first place but to their credit they did it. The after effects were the same as the second shot last February. Chills, fatigue, a feeling I'm coming down with something but that's it. It lasted about 36 hours. The doctors all say that's to be expected, it means it's working. As for gigs, nothing on the horizon except for NYE which I'm OK with. Now that I got the booster I'm not going to worry about it. It's a risk but it's acceptable and I get it, it's a personal choice with everybody.

Bob

Hammond SK1, Mojo 61, Kurzweil PC3, Korg Pa3x, Roland FA06, Band in a Box, Real Band, Studio One, too much stuff...

Got a last-minute call Thursday to cover a gig on Friday Night at the RV Resort where the anti-vax gal got COVID. This makes the third or fourth time in a couple of months.

It seems she survived, but COVID destroyed some of her internal female-specific organs, and she needs to go in for surgery. :(

It seems a large price for not getting a vaccine.

Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton

Here in Florida, there are plenty of opportunities to play outdoors. With COVID lingering, that's a good thing.

But the bad part about playing outdoors is potential rain, which doesn't mix well with tons of electronics gear.

I guess you gotta take the good with the bad.

Bob "Notes" Norton

Here in Florida, there are plenty of opportunities to play outdoors. With COVID lingering, that's a good thing.

But the bad part about playing outdoors is potential rain, which doesn't mix well with tons of electronics gear.

I guess you gotta take the good with the bad.

Here in Bellingham, there are no outdoor gigs for the foreseeable future. Late spring maybe.

As of now, there aren't many indoor gigs either and there are zero indoor gigs that I am interested in playing.

Having played gigs for 45+ years, I'm thinking I had a good run and it's time to call it good.

It doesn't feel like my "scene" anymore, hasn't for a long time.

Thankfully, I live in Florida. I'm an aging baby-boomer and there are millions of retired boomers here, so I can continue to perform 'the soundtrack of my life' along with some newer songs that still appeal to our generation. Since we are close to the Caribbean, I can mix in some Soca and Reggae tunes, we also include a bit of Jazz and Nashville music too -- but nothing hard-core. When playing everybody's music, it's easy to hit too hard and end up playing nobody's music.

We just learned "Toes" and "Lady Marmalade". The backing tracks I made turned out quite well. Marmalade took more work than I thought it would, some songs are like that. But the work paid off and if I'm lucky we'll get to play it thousands of times.

SRV's "Pride And Joy" is up next, that one should be rather quick, but I'm definitely not the guitar player Stevie was, it's my 7th instrument. But if I don't feel satisfied with what I play, I'll pick up the sax or the wind synthesizer instead.

We played a huge retirement community yesterday, it drizzled a bit, but the people still stayed by the pool and danced. We got an e-mail this morning telling us we rocked the place yesterday. Due to the rain, they set us up in a covered, screened in porch, and we set one of our speakers outside on a picnic table protected by a huge umbrella.

In years past, we've always played this same venue at night, in the ballroom of the community center. But being that the retirees are of a vulnerable age group, everything this year is different, and mostly outdoors.

We're actually going to have a busy winter season, judging from the bookings we already have.

But when all the musicians "up north" are gigging in the summertime, our gigs are few and far between. I used to book cruise ships in the summer, but now I write aftermarket styles and backing tracks for Band-in-a-Box. I love Florida in the summer, so I get to stay here now.

Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton

Having played gigs for 45+ years, I'm thinking I had a good run and it's time to call it good.

I know what you mean, but I still like the playing-for-people experience. This is why the act I wanted to put together for Halloween ("The Deadful Great," all songs by dead rock stars) was more like an evening of music and comedy, with a duo instead of a band. Had we been able to go through with it, it would have been an interesting test for a more intimate, almost cabaret-style gig. All the equipment needed would fit in my VW, and not be a big hassle.

We decided we'll prep for the Deadful Great at a leisurely pace, and maybe it has potential beyond Halloween if we do it right.

Meanwhile, my wife brought her mother down to Nashville, and she's in a pretty cool assisted living place. They'd probably go nuts to have some people come and play music (hey Notes, I do pay attention to your posts!). I don't think I'd stress the dead rock stars angle, though :)

Meanwhile...what happens when the pandemic becomes endemic?

It seems that no matter what a country does, unless it can physically isolate itself from the world at large with tight entry/exit and lockdown conditions, covid will spread and mutate. Even if a country does lock down and keep its people safe, covid is always waiting in the wings because there's no way the entire world is going to be vaccinated at once. It seems like that's what would be needed to have a chance at eradicating, rather than managing, covid.

Britain let go of its covid restrictions, and now cases are soaring. China has had to lockdown the north as more cases are flaring up. Variants continue to appear. More people are getting vaccinated, or have some degree of immunity from having gotten sick, but the idea of "herd immunity" remains elusive.

Meanwhile, it seems the verdict is in about easing restrictions: The economy improves, more people get sick, and there's a greater opportunity for variants to come into being.

So to answer my own question at the beginning...near term, covid [may] become less of an issue, people [may] get more vaccinated, and [maybe] covid won't be seen as being as much of a threat. But it will still be a threat, and it will join the list of potential hazards of simply being alive. People will go to concerts, cognizant that there's an additional potential hazard beyond getting into a traffic accident on the way to the venue.

I don't know if there's a solution, because this is a global issue. If individual countries can't get their act together (with very rare exceptions), then the odds of the entire world doing so are remote.

The real test for the northern hemisphere will be this winter. How that plays out will make a big difference in the overall strategy of how to manage this. Meanwhile, live sound is dipping its toes in the water. But I think it will take quite some time for things to go back to "the way they were." Maybe we should follow Notes' lead and move to places where it's warm enough to play all winter :)

Got our COVID booster on Thursday, late afternoon. Last night I felt achy all over but slept it off -- mostly. This morning, I'm much better. I should be back to normal by this evening.

That's good because one of our Halloween gigs, which was supposed to be outdoors, has been moved indoors. Fortunately it's for a retirement community where almost everyone is also vaccinated.

I'd still rather it wasn't moved indoors, but they have been good customers for decades, at this late date they probably wouldn't be able to find a replacement, and outdoors wasn't written in the contract, so we're going to take our chances and play. Wish us luck.

Notes â«

Bob "Notes" Norton

I know what you mean, but I still like the playing-for-people experience. This is why the act I wanted to put together for Halloween ("The Deadful Great," all songs by dead rock stars) was more like an evening of music and comedy, with a duo instead of a band. Had we been able to go through with it, it would have been an interesting test for a more intimate, almost cabaret-style gig. All the equipment needed would fit in my VW, and not be a big hassle.

We decided we'll prep for the Deadful Great at a leisurely pace, and maybe it has potential beyond Halloween if we do it right.

Meanwhile, my wife brought her mother down to Nashville, and she's in a pretty cool assisted living place. They'd probably go nuts to have some people come and play music (hey Notes, I do pay attention to your posts!). I don't think I'd stress the dead rock stars angle, though :)

I do enjoy playing for people, it's time to go in a different direction in that regard. The volume needs to come way down. The number of musicians needs to come way down. The amount of gear needed to perform must be minimized and simplified. And the venues need to be nearby.

The band was working way too hard driving, moving equipement and being loud for not nearly enough money. The dollar to stress ratio was high, the dollar to fun ratio kept getting lower.

I'm taking a break while I figure out what is next. I've kept quiet about leaving the band and will continue to stay quiet on a local level.

We went duo in 1985 due to the shrinking dollar per musician per night. It's pretty universal that a duo makes more money per musician than a bigger band does -- at least for normal venues. Personnel problems contributed to that decision.

I do my own backing tracks from scratch, it's a lot more work than buying karaoke tracks, but it's in our best key, it's our arrangement, and I can leave a spot for the solo hog (that's me) to play a little solo. It's also nice to make them longer than the 2.5 minute record, especially slow songs.

Fortunately I play sax, drums, bass, wind synth, guitar, and keyboards. Since sax is my axe, I'm certainly not the best guitarist or keyboardist around, but I'm good enough to lay down background tracks, and if I hit a wrong note on the keyboard, it's easy to fix in MIDI :)

It's pure bliss for me and Mrs. Notes to play for an appreciative audience. It's the most fun we can have with our clothes on.

And although we play smaller venues than we did when we were in a 5-piece band, we are actually closer to the audience and many have become like extended family to us. We've been out on their boats, we've had dinner with them at their homes or at restaurants, we've had people invite us to stay with them if we travel to their state or country, we applaud their triumphs and console their tragedies, and we simply celebrate being alive and having fun with them.

I've been a career musician since I graduated from school, and if I had to do it over, I'd do it the same way. I'm old enough to retire, but I have no intention of doing that. Gigging is still a lot of big-fun, so why should I give that up? Besides, it's my ikigai.

After a year and a half of not gigging due to COVID, it's so nice to be gigging again, even if it's limited.

Insights and incites by Notes â«

Bob "Notes" Norton