Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Eric Clapton interview

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Rubbish. He already had peripheral neuropathy, and he laid off playing for a week and it took him 3 weeks to get his chops back. Confirmation bias being sold as medical advice.

Guitar Lessons in Augusta Georgia: www.chipmcdonald.com

Eccentric blog: https://chipmcdonaldblog.blogspot.com/

/ "big ass windbag" - Bruce Swedien

Well, I like to talk to people in the front lines, who work at hospitals. The hospitals were filled to capacity with people dying of Covid. Since the vaccines hit, there are still unvaccinated people coming into hospitals with Covid, but nowhere near as many. There has been no "surge" of people with side effects caused by the vaccines. I tend to trust what people who work at hospitals, and treat patients, say about the situation. They don't have an agenda, other than trying to diagnose illnesses, and treat them.

Make no mistake, there will always be side effects from vaccines, no matter how many tests are conducted, over no matter how long a period of time. The question is the odds. If the numbers in the cited article are to be believed and 900 people have died from heart inflammation caused by the vaccines, that puts the odds as 1 in 333,333 that you'll die from heart inflammation. On the other hand, the odds are 1 in 55 that you'll die if you're infected with Covid (the odds are much worse in some other countries, the US is quite good in this respect).

Look, it would have been great to test the vaccines at a more leisurely pace. But when you have everyone yelling "open up the economy!!," and there was a clear causal relationship between more openings and more deaths, people have been willing to gamble, and go with the odds.

I like 1 in 333,333 odds much better than 1 in 55. Although if I had an underlying condition, like the person cited in the article, then I'd have to reassess which option offered the better odds.

But the bottom line is simple: take the vaccine, or don't take the vaccine. There is no way for either camp to claim there's enough information out there to make a 100% informed decision. So I'm playing the odds, based on what I know at this moment. That's all anyone can do.

But really, I have no idea.

Let's talk about this. No, vaccines are not perfect - there are far too many variables in the human condition for any medical treatment to be perfect. Many are genetic, some are environmental and more than enough are indulgences, like the heroin addiction, alcoholism and who knows what else that has eventually caught up with Mr. Clapton.

I don't think it takes 15 years to "perfect" a vaccine any more. Remember 5 years ago when you could go to Costco and buy a 1tb Samsung SSD on sale for $100? No, you don't. Why? Technology has improved by leaps and bounds, things that were not possible 5 years ago are commonplace now. Data can be parsed at incredible speeds and the data base has grown exponentially. We have incredibly good microscopes now, I could go on.

It took well over a hundred years to build a Gothic cathedral in Europe many centuries ago. We could probably get one up in under a year now. Everything is moving faster. I don't know how long it took the Pasteur's to develop their pasteurization but I doubt it would take a third that long to do the same thing now.

Things are changing rapidly, including viral infections, they have far more hosts to occupy, far more areas of high population density to spread and the viral answer to human diversity is mutation, they are very good at it.

Just for fun, since you are collecting data yourself - do a search on the survivors of Covid and the permanent damage done to their vital organs (kidneys, lungs, brain, etc).. Some studies I've parsed are saying that as many as 40% of Covid patients have experienced organ damage and this is still very early in that game. Getting Covid and living is not better than getting a vaccine, in terms of health - not even close.

Some would call this a dilemma, I like the term "least worst scenario". Taking into account the death rate and the long term health conditions that are occurring as a result of Covid, if you are at potential risk of being infected (humans generally are unless they can isolate themselves rather completely), the lesser risk by a considerable margin is getting the vaccine.

A local doctor recently told me that the only patients currently in the hospital here for treatment for Covid are not vaccinated. I've had mine (Moderna) and side effects from the second shot were mild. I am still careful, still wear a mask in public, still avoid going out when possible. I have a small group of special friends who are also careful and vaccinated. We do hang out sometimes, so far so good.

Canada is another situation entirely, at least if our news is to be trusted (mostly, it sort of isn't). Your leaders did not lock in a supply of the vaccine and it's more difficult to be vaccinated. I truly hope this doesn't cause a rise in cases once the nice weather is over and everybody goes back inside to stay warm. I do fear the worst for my friends up North. Be Safe!!!!

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

And here is another story, this gentleman is by no means the only one with regrets.

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/texas-man-declined-covid-19-014026073.html

They may have diagnosed this as Covid 19, but this case doesn't sound like Covid 19. It is more like what my sister has....auto-immune disease where all of her organs were starting to shut down (BTW autoimmune also sometimes caused by vaccines).....but yes, I'm not a doctor. Remember, there were great monetary incentives for hospitals to diagnose as Covid 19.....and if you could get them on a respirator,YOU HIT THE JACKPOT....UP TO $39,000 in some states.

So many things have been called Covid 19 in the past 15 months. Apparently no one has died of old age, cancer ,pneumonia etc. in 2020

In the meantime, we have people who died , FROM BEING DENIED MEDICAL CARE, such as many in Canada and others in the states who needed a heart transplants, cancer treatments and tests etc.

Dan

https://www.tampabay.com/news/health/2020/04/22/politifact-on-hospitals-and-the-possible-financial-incentive-of-covid-19-patients/

I think we can all agree the situation is fraught, and there are no good solutions, only less bad ones.

Remember, we're dealing with human beings.

Apparently no one has died of old age, cancer ,pneumonia etc. in 2020

Completely wrong. From the American Cancer Society: 1.8 million cancer cases and 606,520 cancer deaths in the US for 2020. This compares to 1,762,450 new cancer cases diagnosed and 606,880 cancer deaths in 2019, and 1,735,350 new cancer cases diagnosed and 609,640 deaths in 2018. There has been a decrease in the cancer rate (I think around 1-2% IIRC), but that's due almost exclusively to a drastic reduction in lung cancer (fewer people smoking cigarettes).

So not only are plenty of people dying from cancer, it's obvious there's not the drop that would be expected if vast numbers of cancer deaths were attributed to Covid.

Next...

This article tells all you need to know about pneumonia.

Next, in the US, 3,427,321 people died from all causes in 2020. In comparison, 2,854,838 people died in 2019, meaning at least 572,000 more people died in 2020 than 2019 according to preliminary estimates. So basically, the same number of people died in 2020 as in previous years, BUT a whole lot more died, presumably because they died of Covid (although I'm not ruling out eating too much fast food :) ).

All these stats are readily available to the public, from reputable sources.

As to people dying because they weren't getting prioritized, that's because there aren't enough doctors to handle normal problems AND a world-wide pandemic. There were barely enough to keep up before Covid hit. As an analogy as to what's happened with doctors, it's like you just threw 46 baseballs at a center fielder, and you wonder why he only caught two of them.

Take the time spent reading stuff on the web and instead, visit as many local hospitals as you can, and talk to people there (and the administrators) if you want to know what's going on. As to why people just don't look at the facts, really, I have no idea.

Dan, just remember...I have no dog in this fight. I'm not saying believe me, I'm just saying is I don't have to answer to any agenda. I just want to know the reality of any given situation, so I can live my life accordingly.

And, I am not done with Mr. Clapton.

He says near the beginning of the interview that he does not know science and that he has "intuition" (apparently instead of facts).

He wrote a hit song "Layla" which is about how unhappy HE is because he cheated on his best friend with his best friend's wife and then she left him. Cry me a river, ego-tripping much?

Last but not least, watch the video below - just a few seconds in - "Different sides of the same coin", really? Jeff Beck is by far one of the finest modern electric guitarists to play, ever. Eric? He's above average but not in the same league - not even close. Take a listen, it's pretty obvious who is who.

What I am saying is that I don't think the words that come out of Eric Clapton's mouth are valuable or important, rather the opposite.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

Sorry to drift off the thread. Jeff Beck IMO is technically heads-and-shoulders above all other rock/fusion electric guitarists. If you don't believe me, rent "Live At Ronnie Scott's". The cameras zoom into his hands when he is doing super-human things on the guitar, not for showing off, but for musical expression. Watch the supplements on the DVD as well, Jeff is very modest and down-to-earth.

I like Clapton's playing, I think he has a good sense of melody when he plays, but when he sits in with Jeff Beck on that video, you can hear quite a difference in skill level and musical expression.

BTW, I will never be able to play guitar in the same league as either one, but I'd love to bring my sax and sit in with them. I think that would be a lot of fun.

Back on topic. As far as vaccines are concerned, I listen to the scientists. I don't buy what politicians, propagandists, pundits, preachers, social media posters, and famous performers say. That's just opinion, not fact. And when I listen to scientists, I go with the majority who have had papers published in peer-reviewed scientific journals. It's the closest to what is currently known as the truth, that according to the scientific method could change in the future.

My brother-in-law is a world-famous doctor among other doctors. He has lectured doctors in the USA, Russia, China, Europe, South America, Middle East and elsewhere. He had had over 100 papers published in peer-reviewed medical journals. When a Russian Scientist was working on a groundbreaking project quite a few years ago, over 10,000 doctors applied, my brother-in-law was the one chosen. The method they developed is now the standard go-to for children with certain defects. They didn't patent it, but released it to help others.

He is now in Australia and was one of the first to suspect COVID-19 is primarily a blood disease. He says that between 1/3 and 1/2 of all COVID-19 survivors, including those with mild symptoms, end up with permanent damage to their brain, lungs, heart/circulatory system, liver, kidneys, and/or other major organs.

He recommended getting the first vaccine available to me and to get it as soon as possible. That's what I did.

Clapton or the pundits on propaganda TV can come up with all kinds of scare stories, but the facts don't bear them out.

Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton

Owner, Norton Music http://www.nortonmusic.com

Style and Fake disks for Band-in-a-Box

The Sophisticats http://www.s-cats.com >^. .^< >^. .^<

• 2 weeks later...

A few months back there was a thread on a piano forum...."How to become a virtuoso jazz pianist". As the thread wore on, someone dismissed Dave Brubeck as passable, or something similar. And of course Oscar Peterson is in the "jazz virtuoso" club. I defended Brubeck (one of my piano heroes back almost 50 years ago) - my view is that he created solos with their own personalities. He suffered a back injury diving into the surf in Hawaii while on a family vacation probably in his early 20's. So it reportedly affected his playing facility. No virtuoso as far as ripping his hands up and down the keyboard like Oscar. But Brubeck was brilliant as a musical inventor - as least I think so. "Blue Rondo" is a Brubeck composition.

Brubeck's solo on Blue Rondo ala Turk begins around 4:55 - builds and develops - and his dissonant polytonal chords -

/https://youtu.be/sFLILnhsW64

I believe Eric Clapton can be a medical or social dufus without negating his musical output.

In my formative musical youth, I followed and admired the Cream, Blind Faith, and Derek and the Dominoes. I haven't followed Clapton much over the years but it's no reflection on him - it's more developing other musical paths. Someone could go back to Louis Armstrong and disregard him compared to someone like Maynard Ferguson. But Armstrong developed his own musical voice and identity. I personally believe Clapton has done that for himself. As for the quality of the output of Cream, Blind Faith and Derek....I don't think the quality of each band's output was by chance. I believe that Clapton like the other pieces in the band combined to make special sounding music in their time.

I ran across a Reddit thread some time back that was about Clapton. There were a lot of snide remarks and jokes about crack, smack, booze etc. Clapton reportedly had some a$$hole years, I think mid-to-late '70's. I think Andy Johns (some YT video I watched once) said he didn't like Eric Clapton at all back in the '70's. I think he maybe declined working with him. But in this recent video, filmed in Eric's U.K. home, along with Andy and some U.K. comedian he liked Eric fine. Eric commented he'd been a heroin devotee back in those days.

I have two recent anecdotes. First, Bobby Whitlock as told on his YT channel. Sometime back (maybe 20 years back - I can't recall). Whitlock became aware that he hadn't been credited with songwriting on "Bell Bottom Blues". He called Clapton and jogged his memory regarding the songwriting. Clapton said, "you're right....I'd completely forgotten that". Clapton told him he would make things right. Whitlock said the writing credit was corrected and he received all his back royalties.

Second anecdote. An article that appeared in my phone's Google news feed...Hubert Sumlin (Howlin' Wolf's longtime guitar player) said when he met Eric Clapton, Eric gestured to 3 walls lined with guitars (must've been in Eric's house) and said that Hubert could pick out any guitar and keep it. Hubert spotted another guitar that wasn't on offer. He told Eric he wanted that guitar not being offered. Eric told him, "but that's my favorite". Hubert told him he wanted it. Eric agreed, but made him promise if he ever decided he didn't want it anymore, that he'd give it back. Maybe a year or two, Hubert saw Clapton again. Hubert had barely touched the gifted guitar, and offered it back. Eric then asked Hubert, "is there anything you need ? Anything I can do ?" . Hubert said no.

Clapton's playing on the Bluesbreakers album was amazing, still is. He reset what guitar tone was like. I don't think his subsequent efforts matched that initial foray, although Cream was cool in its own way, and Derek and the Dominoes was an exceptional album.

My understanding is he's done a lot for various charities. That doesn't mean I'll trust his medical opinions, but then again, I don't trust a whole lot of medical opinions - there's nothing special about not trusting Clapton :)

I don't trust celebrities medical opinion, but I also don't trust Fauci's medical opinion. He's a political doctor who takes the political side not the scientific side. He lied about funding the Wuhan lab to Congress, and he lied when he said he knew that it couldn't have come from a lab. But he still earns his massive pay check no one is holding him accountable.

The vaccines are still experimental and have the highest death rate in modern history and yet no one is allowed to be wary. Dare to question it on Facebook or Twitter and their "experts" will ban you. Zuckerberg and Dorsey now decide what you are allowed to say. What medical degrees do they have?

My GF's 82-year old mother was vaccinated and immediately became ill and has been in the hospital for 2 months. She'll probably never recover. On top of that her fully vaccinated children are not allowed to visit her due to restrictions. Her mother may die alone never seeing her kids again. "Science"!!

There are 6000 or so verified deaths in the US alone from Covid vaccines, and likely it's far more than that. Medical information is supposed to be private yet people are demanding proof of vaccination if you want to leave your house. We went from "2 weeks to flatten the curve" to "papers please" and people applaud that.

Some people say that Covid is less deadly than reported, because you can't be sure how many people who had Covid-19 actually died of something else. So, it's logically consistent to say the vaccine is less deadly than reported, because you can't be sure how many people who got the vaccine actually died of something else.

What many (most?) people don't realize is that healthcare providers are required to report any death after vaccination to VAERS. There does not have to be any evidence of a causal relationship. If someone gets the vaccine and dies a week later of a heart attack, it still goes into VAERS as "got vaccine, died." However, the stat for "got vaccine, and died from the vaccine" is unknown. It will only be known at some point in the future, because every instance of a death is being reported, so a database can be built and analyzed. After stats are in from autopsies, and analyses of medical histories, at least it will be possible to make an educated guess about how many deaths were attributable to the vaccine. Short-term, what is clear is that people who have been vaccinated are dying, or even getting sick, in dramatically reduced numbers. Those are didn't get vaccinated are the main reason for infections and death at the moment.

Of course, some people will die because of the vaccine. A couple hundred people died in 2019 from the flu vaccine, and that is a totally mature technology. I know of no vaccine that has not had consequential side effects.

People crave certainty, but it's just not possible. What is incontrovertibly certain is that an abnormally high number of people died worldwide between January 2020 and July 2021, compared to the same time period in previous years. I would venture to say most people attribute the abnormally high amount of deaths to a world-wide pandemic, caused by a highly-infectious, mutating virus.

If you believe that, then the choice in early 2020 was simple: let Covid run rampant and continue running up massive death tolls around the world, or try to do something - anything - to stop it before the death toll became even more massive. The best that science could come up with was vaccines. If anyone has a better solution, I can guarantee the world wants to hear it.

Here's what I mean about people aren't just living in a binary world of who dies and who doesn't...they need to find answers, not just make conjectures or guesses, and the ONLY way to arrive at answers is through meticulous, thorough research that in this case, requires a co-ordinated, world-wide effort.

B.1.617.2 / Delta / India: 'Delta"s unique mutations delete the amino acids at positions 156 and 157 in the supersite and changes the 158th amino acid from arginine to glycine; the latter eliminates a direct contact point for antibody binding, says David Ostrov, a structural biologist at the University of Florida.

'We think the 157/158 mutation is one of the hallmark mutations in Delta that has given it this more immune-evasion phenotype,' concurs Trevor Bedford, a computational biologist at the Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center.

The surge has set off a frenzy of research to understand why Delta appears to spread so much faster than the three other variants of concern, whether it is more dangerous in other ways, and how its unique pattern of mutations, which cause subtle changes in its proteins, can wreak havoc.

Delta may be more likely to put unvaccinated people in the hospital than Alpha. Early data from the United Kingdom suggest the risk of hospitalization may be twice as high.

They're doing the best they can in the face of something that's, well, novel.

• 1 month later...

If I want to find out about the universe, I listen to astronomers.

If I want to find out about the ocean, I listen to oceanographers.

If I want to find out about vaccinations, I check out a few YouTube videos and a political blog.

What many (most?) people don't realize is that healthcare providers are required to report any death after vaccination to VAERS. There does not have to be any evidence of a causal relationship. If someone gets the vaccine and dies a week later of a heart attack, it still goes into VAERS as "got vaccine, died." However, the stat for "got vaccine, and died from the vaccine" is unknown. It will only be known at some point in the future, because every instance of a death is being reported, so a database can be built and analyzed. After stats are in from autopsies, and analyses of medical histories, at least it will be possible to make an educated guess about how many deaths were attributable to the vaccine. Short-term, what is clear is that people who have been vaccinated are dying, or even getting sick, in dramatically reduced numbers. Those are didn't get vaccinated are the main reason for infections and death at the moment.

Absolute agreement on the numbers (not that factual numbers are subject to "agreement").

It should be noted that the VAERS database and its international counterparts are being actively monitored and constantly analysed by immunologists and various other scientists for *any* kinds of patterns and possible causative effects.

These kinds of databases (also those where any kind of disease contracted post-inoculation is recorded) led to the discovery of the super-rare cases of splanchnic vein thrombosis caused by Astra-Zeneca.

IIRC, the number of patients was pretty much the number of thromboses expected from normal, unvaccinated individuals â but *still* a causal relationship was discovered at Greifswald University here in Germany due to the specific *kind* of thrombosis.

"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement" (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)

The Drawbars | off jazz organ trio

I think we're going to see a new job category - Medical Detective :)

This has been going on since the fifties, at least, and is completely normal procedure since, what, the 70s? I"m not sure it"s a 'new job category', by any stretch.

"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement" (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)

The Drawbars | off jazz organ trio

If I want to find out about the universe, I listen to astronomers.

If I want to find out about the ocean, I listen to oceanographers.

If I want to find out about vaccinations, I check out a few YouTube videos and a political blog.

Amen, brother! If the experts aren't 100% right all the time, then clearly it's time to call in the amateurs.

nat

I think we're going to see a new job category - Medical Detective :)

This has been going on since the fifties, at least, and is completely normal procedure since, what, the 70s? I"m not sure it"s a 'new job category', by any stretch.

I know that doctors have always had to be detectives, I've just never seen them called that officially :)

• 2 months later...

Eric Clapton Isn't Just Spouting Vaccine NonsenseâHe's Bankrolling It

The title is a bit click-bait-y - he helped a guy with a little band who has done anti-taxvax events get a new van - but overall it gives a bit more info on EC, his infamous rant, his "apologies," and his credulous tendencies.

Eric Clapton went from setting the standard for rock guitar to making 'full-tilt" racist rants to becoming an outspoken vaccine skeptic. Did he change? Or was he always like this?

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

When people become elderly their minds can go through drastic changes. It does not affect everyone, but it does affect a lot of elderly. I hate seeing people held accountable for their words at this point in life. At this stage in their life the elderly need to be left alone. I remember a good friend saying that she wished her kids could have known her dad before he changed. She was a late child had kids late in life. Her dad was in his 70's while the kids were in elementary school. I remember him as being one of the kindest and funniest people I ever met. His grandchildren never got to know the real him. In his 70's he became grumpy and cantankerous. I totally understand her statement, and I understand why elderly stars who say bad things should not be held accountable. If Clapton was a bad person in his 40's, fine. But don't judge him at this age.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

That's what the article is exploring. He's always been credulous, apparently, and has had some racist and political leanings that were at best questionable.

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I heard the Pattie Boyd autobiography gave some better perspective on him but I have not read that.

[until recently, my biggest peeve with EC wasn't his fault, but it was that seemingly every post-middle-aged white blues guitar player thought he was the be-all end-all in blues/blues-rock, as if his versions of blues standards were the only ones to go by as opposed to the original ones he ripped off borrowed from.]