Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Dexibell....does it get any love?

• 4 months later...

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello everyone

I think it is a correct thread to ask.

Could someone list the factory content of Dexibell sound libraries? I mean what are the sound libraries preloaded, which sounds they contain and how many MB they are. I understand you cannot delete single factory sounds (patches) from internal memory or RAM (1,5 GB ready to play) to replace them with user libraries but you can delete and load the whole libraries. There were 81 sounds at first, then 113 in S3/S7 Pro series.

Thanks in advance.

Yamaha P-515, Korg SV-2 73, Kurzweil PC4-7

• 1 year later...

Since this seems to be the main Dexibell thread and interested people may have it marked to follow, I wanted to mention my recent Dexibell experience that I discussed over at this thread:

https://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/3111926/keyboard-for-solo-duo-ceremony-cocktail-hour

If you don't care about the topic at hand but just want to see what is essentially a Dexibell review (in context of that usage), it's post #3113373.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Since this seems to be the main Dexibell thread and interested people may have it marked to follow, I wanted to mention my recent Dexibell experience that I discussed over at this thread:

https://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/3111926/keyboard-for-solo-duo-ceremony-cocktail-hour

If you don't care about the topic at hand but just want to see what is essentially a Dexibell review (in context of that usage), it's post #3113373.

Thank you for cross-posting. I hadn't noticed your post in that thread, and I value your opinions in it.

One thing you wrote: " it made me realize that an alternate way to look at the P3 is as a 1.5 GB soundfont player". Are there specific sources you recommend for soundfont2 .sf2 files? I'm not very familiar with the format. I've done some web searching but many of the sites have older or simpler looking web interfaces which makes me nervous about potential security risks downloading files from them.

Are there specific sources you recommend for soundfont2 .sf2 files

https://sites.google.com/site/soundfonts4u/

Nice-Steinway-Lite-v3.0 is remarkably good for 71 mb. There are bigger versions, which I tried, but I was content with the 71 mb version.

If you can spare the space, I also like Yamaha C5 Grand-v2.4 at 232mb.

After that, MasonHamlin-A-CloseMic-v5.2 at 206 mb is interesting... it's a darker piano, and has its flaws, but can be really nice for some things, it's got a mood. (There's also a bigger version with other variations, I didn't try that one.)

Chateau Grand Lite-v1.0 at 47mb is so-so, but could possibly be useful and doesn't take much space.

Rhodes EPs Plus-v2.3 includes a nice dark Rhodes, along with a bunch of other things I didn't care about. I used the freeware Polyphone to remove the rest of the sounds, and reduced this soundfont from 50 mb to 12 mb. See https://sites.google.com/site/soundfonts4u/customizing-your-soundfont

I like KBH-Real-Choir-V2.5 which is 16.5 mb.

I also downloaded some nice mellotron sounds and learjeff's Rhodes, which aren't on that site, I don't have the links off-hand, but that will at least get you started. ;-)

The process for loading soundfonts into the Dexibell is identical to loading their own sounds. Very easy.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Great insight. Thanks for sharing.

On a side note, what does everyone think of the Dexibell design. I get that, these days, companies need to think how to stand out and, dare I say, compete with the 'red' keyboard company.

However, I must admit, I yearn for simplicity. The old Roland XP range, for example, is a design style that suits me fine.

Would love to see a Dexibell top end board with internal power supply and sleek black casing.

Anyway, perhaps I need to stop being so superficial!

Kurzweil PC3x

Technics SX-P50

Korg X3

On a side note, what does everyone think of the Dexibell design. I get that, these days, companies need to think how to stand out and, dare I say, compete with the 'red' keyboard company.

However, I must admit, I yearn for simplicity. The old Roland XP range, for example, is a design style that suits me fine.

Would love to see a Dexibell top end board with internal power supply and sleek black casing.

Anyway, perhaps I need to stop being so superficial!

For whatever reason, I've never been concerned with the aesthetics of color per se, but am very aware of color when it comes to usability. There needs to be contrast between the buttons and the panel color. Black buttons on a black background are very common, and make it unnecessarily difficult to quickly and accurately hit the desired button if you find yourself on stage with inadequate lighting. Sometimes you see people have battery or USB powered clip lights or LED strips to improve panel navigation on their boards. That's fine, but to me, the fact that such a thing is even necessary indicates inherently poor design from a usability perspective, when it would be just as easy to design the board with controls that are easily visible in virtually any lighting condition. Whether that's dark buttons on a light background, or light buttons on a dark one, there needs to be contrast (though shiny vs. matte can also help).

Related, I hate when a row of buttons all butt up against each other (again, made worse on a non-contrasting background). You really have to use your eyes to be sure to hit things precisely, because feel doesn't help. The design makes it easier to accidentally slip to hitting an adjacent button or to hit two buttons (which on one of my keyboards, started a demo sequence playing).

So yeah, the patch select buttons on the P3 are something I'd change.

I bought their Module 4 years ago in hopes of using an all hardware/no PC rig.

The sounds were naturally nowhere as good as VSTi"s on a PC/Mac, but recalling sounds using MIDI Prgm Chng messages was a process of just hitting a Bank 00 then Prgm Chng # to see what loaded and write it down.

It was as bad as it gets with no explanation in the manual, or a MIDI Implementation chart.

Also tried the Integra 7 and it was weak compared to PC/Mac.

Thanks to Dexibell and Roland I will never try to use hardware only again.

Maybe over the last 4 years their product line has evolved. It"s hard going to ROMPlers or Sample Playback modules after using VSTi/AU"s.

Especially when it comes to Horn Sections and Strings. Articulations and KSwitched samples are light years ahead.

Magnus C350 + FMR RNP + Realistic Unisphere Mic

I bought the SX7 module a few months ago and love the APs. I"ve used the Japan Platinum AP on several gigs and like it better than the CP4 APs. I haven"t compared with any VST APs yet. The Dexibell EPs sound good but, for me, there"s something missing and they"re not a lot of fun to play. I need to experiment with some sound font EPs.

Imagine combining a 2 lb MIDI rack and a 17 lb keyboard as a source of great joy and inspiration. They are easy to carry and don't cost $300,000.

I have used the Dexibell SX7 module for several years now. Like all MIDI sound sources worth their while, the Dexibell is extremely customizable. I keep 2 platinum sounds (among the Platinum acoustic pianos or the terrific Platinum EP) on board at a time.

Over the past years, by adjusting contribution of sounds from the virtual hammers and note release sounds, virtual damper artifact, and especially tweaking the Equalization, I have made the Dexibell my most enjoyable AP and tied with the Gemini for EP. Accordion being my first musical language, my Dexibell piano patches are customized to my thin fingers and light touch.

While playing, the keyboard-to-sound connection is awesome, sounds best on the Numa Compact 2x and better than on my TS-10 because (for me) the velocity curve, shorter key excursion with earlier note-on trigger and the much quieter / less klunky action on the C2X make the experience a great joy.

Mixing 2 or 3 pianos like AP + Rhodes emulation (from Dexibell Platinum and / or GSI Gemini) + / - FM piano (FS1-R) in varying intensities creates an endless pallete of amazing pianos.

Now only if my playing were better . . . but the inspiration from the Dexibell is fueling my enthusiasm to keep practicing and improving.

Make the Dexibell Your Own and be Inspired.

M R-M

One surprise disappointment on the P3... No 5-pin MIDI conectors! It hadn't even occurred to me to check. Until I went to plug something in...

One surprise disappointment on the P3... No 5-pin MIDI conectors! It hadn't even occurred to me to check. Until I went to plug something in...

That is the primary tradeoff between the P3 (speakers, no midi or pitch/mod wheels) and the S3 (midi and pitch/mod wheels but no speakers)

That is the primary tradeoff between the P3 (speakers, no midi or pitch/mod wheels) and the S3 (midi and pitch/mod wheels but no speakers)

Yeah, I knew about the difference in the MIDI zoning features, but I didn't realize it didn't even have the In/Out conectors!

Yeah, I knew about the difference in the MIDI zoning features, but I didn't realize it didn't even have the In/Out conectors!

So not a serious board at all then. That"s a shame. At least it has audio outputs I suppose. I detest those boards that have speakers built in but no proper outputs. What"s the point!!

Kurzweil PC3x

Technics SX-P50

Korg X3

So not a serious board at all then. That"s a shame.

I know, I almost wanted to return it when I saw that. But nothing else this light with speakers sounds this good through its speakers. So it depends on your use. As I was mentioning in the other thread abot ceremony/cocktail hour stuff, it's the best board I've found for that use.

Realistically, in a single-board scenario, I doubt I'd ever connect it to anything (especially since, if I need it to have some other sound, I can load soundfonts into it), but if by some chance I did, it would probably be an iOS device, which would connect fine via USB.

The lack of 5-pin MIDI connectors could come into play more in a 2-board scenario, where you could conceivably want your other board to ocassionally trigger a Dexibell sound or vice versa. I like having that kind of flexibility, even though, in practice, I hardly ever use it.

For my particular use, in this case, as averse as I am to boards without 5-pin connectors, the other advantages of the board and the real-world ways I'd use it made its advantages more important than that irritating shortcoming.

So not a serious board at all then. That"s a shame.

I know, I almost wanted to return it when I saw that. But nothing else this light with speakers sounds this good through its speakers. So it depends on your use. As I was mentioning in the other thread abot ceremony/cocktail hour stuff, it's the best board I've found for that use.

Realistically, in a single-board scenario, I doubt I'd ever connect it to anything (especially since, if I need it to have some other sound, I can load soundfonts into it), but if by some chance I did, it would probably be an iOS device, which would connect fine via USB.

The lack of 5-pin MIDI connectors could come into play more in a 2-board scenario, where you could conceivably want your other board to ocassionally trigger a Dexibell sound or vice versa. I like having that kind of flexibility, even though, in practice, I hardly ever use it.

For my particular use, in this case, as averse as I am to boards without 5-pin connectors, the other advantages of the board and the real-world ways I'd use it made its advantages more important than that irritating shortcoming.

That"s a very fair point. Sounds like it will work well for you.

I use a Roland EP760 for similar scenarios. Very dated and a semi weighted action only. Would have considered the P3 but I do need the midi out.

Kurzweil PC3x

Technics SX-P50

Korg X3