Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

My Kronos is a giant paper weight

A few years back I got an incredible deal on a Kronos LS88 that I just couldn"t possibly refuse. It seemed like a do-it-all keyboard and I had previously had an m50 so I was somewhat familiar with the architecture and picked it up.

Alas, it has sat unused in its case for 95% of the time I"ve had it. With incredible power comes incredible complexity and much menu divage, and, using a Nord Stage for 99% of my keyboard playing, I just can"t deal with the menu diving.

I figured the LS keybed would save a lot of weight also, but the thing is still a beast, cumbersome to move around my house, and ridiculously heavy in a hard case.

I still need a weighted action keyboard, so in addition to it I have a Yamaha MX88.

While the Kronos still has some value, I"m thinking of trading it for something else. The new Kronos costs about double what the MODX8 costs. The MODX8 is about 10 pounds lighter, and that"s with a weighted keybed. If I was to buy it, I could also get rid of my MX88 for some cash and to make room in my ever crowded music nook.

I started to read reviews about the MODX8 and watch videos, but there are so many different functions that may be of interest for many different people that"s it"s hard to sort through.

So, cutting to the chase, would the MODX8 be a good choice for a guy who plays classic rock and 80s covers and occasionally gigs once in a while? Would I be crazy for trading my Kronos to get one?

Nord Stage 2 Compact, Yamaha MODX8

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I use a MODX7 as my main gigging board. Been doing so for the last couple of years. As far as your genres of choice goes, I think the MODX8 would more than meet your needs. I find it very easy to navigate, and there are a ton of great bread-and-butter keyboard sounds to get you going out of the box. Another thing I love about it is the built-in A/D input, for use if I ever want to bring a 2nd board to a gig, without having to bring a separate mixer.

Hardware

Yamaha MODX7, DX7, PSR-530, SY77/Korg TR-Rack, 01/W Pro X, Trinity Pro X, Karma/Ensoniq ESQ-1, VFX-SD

Behringer DeepMind12, Model D, Odyssey, 2600/Roland RD-1000/Arturia Keylab MKII 61

Software

Studio One/V Collection 9/Korg Collection 4/Cherry Audio/UVI SonicPass/EW Composer Cloud/Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilian/IK Total Studio 3.5 MAX/Roland Cloud

Another thing I love about it is the built-in A/D input, for use if I ever want to bring a 2nd board to a gig, without having to bring a separate mixer.

Thanks for your input. That sounds like a neat benefit!

No - not crazy - it's just not an open and shut kind of decision.

Both are good sounding, capable keyboards. It's just a question of tradeoffs I think.

There's a fair bit of overlap between the units you're talking about - and the bottom line is that either is more than capable for classic rock and 80s covers. Both will require a bit of programming and patience - very unlike a Nord Stage in that sense.

What you're rewarded with for all that dedicated alone time is really dead on sound quality. And maybe that's where there is a little difference - they sound pretty different than each other, to my ears.

To this biased Kronos owner, I still think the Kronos has some things that sound better than the MODX line - electric pianos, organ emulation, some synth stuff (but not all), definitely pads IMO. The Yamaha has better acoustic pianos (despite the dedicated engine architecture in the Kronos), I think. And the MODX8 is really light for what you get. I still gig my original Kronos 73 (in a soft case) to every electronic gig...and it has NOT gotten any lighter over the years LOL

However, the MODX8's weighted action is an acquired taste - there's a reason it's half the cost of the Kronos. You want to make sure you play one in person, exclusively for piano and rhodes, for at least 30 minutes straight before you make a buy vote, I would think.

So I don't think you go wrong with either one - but neither choice is perfect either. I was tempted to move away from the Kronos and try the MODX when it first came out, in the same way I've also been tempted by the Prophet X, the Waldorf stuff, and well everything we talk about here.

But for me I keep coming back to landing where I ended up a couple of years ago. I have VERY good sounding, capable gear that offers more potential than I every actually use. None of this stuff is perfect and I could make long lists of what it doesn't do, what there's something lighter and newer and etc.

And at the end of the day, the biggest limitation I have is my own playing and needing to spend more time practicing. So I haven't bought another keyboard in a little while.

I agree with all of the above.

I'd also consider the Kurzweil PC4/PC4-7, which in some ways, is a little more Kronos-like than the MODX... e.g. having a 9-slider controllable organ engine, a VA synth engine, more flexible MIDI implementation, assignable outs, workstation-style sequencer, aftertouch (though the LS is the only Kronos without that... but your Nord has it). Ease of use can favor either one, depending on what it is you're trying to do. Sound editing and patch selection via the Live Set screens (which are somewhat like Korg's Set List) favor the MODX, but Kurz is easier for managing splits/layers and lets you assign hard buttons to call up sounds which can sometimes be preferable to touchscreen.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I'm now using a Modx7 as my "main" board. I supplement it with an ipad to shore up what I think are the weakest parts: b3 organ and synth, specifically punchy synths (it's excellent with pads).

The Kronos on paper is pretty strong in those two areas, but I've never been very impressed with the cx3 organ in there. Granted I've never owned one, I did own a cx3 v2 for a month. Don't know much about the Kronos synths other than it has several engines.

The Modx has one really strong feature that perhaps the Kronos doesn't: a built-in audio interface, which goes with an OS that lets me fold in my Ipad's sounds into splits and layers if I want. I only need one cable to handle audio and midi, and the ipad gets it's own volume knob on the Modx. If you don't need this then of course it's not any extra value!

I also own a Moxf8 that I originally got for my son to use, I don't really love the action but it works. It is pretty light, but it's also fairly bulky and I am probably going to sell it vs gig it. I think the Modx8 may be similar as far as size and weight.

To Scott's point, I also have a pc361 that I only retired to home controller duty due to screen issues. It is a nice all-rounder. I prefer its b3 organ to the Kronos. The piano, on paper, is not as good on the Kurzweil but I always found it a great gigging piano sound in a rock band. I think they have added newer pianos since the pc3 days as well. The key feel and overall fit and finish on my pc361 is much better than the modx, and no wall wart. But of course it's much heavier, and which one of two has hardware issues...the kurzweil. The modx feels like a fisher price toy but it sure is handy to be able to lift the thing off the stand with one hand and put it in its bag after a gig! Pros and cons, always....

Of all the sentences I never thought I'd read.....! You'd be crazy because you are a synth player. The rest is a formality.

Since you are no newcomer to the tribe, you probably know how imperative it is to lay hands to the wundertoy first, if at all possible. It can decide a lot of it.

Having said that, think carefully. That Kronos has almost exaggerated market value in the new & impaired supply-chain economy. You could turn it into a sweet deal.

I understand the menu-diving aspect. Logic is far more complex than a Kronos, but its all up front. Its like my old 01W amplified to the Nth degree. I'm still a posturing piano plunker who got drawn to synths, so finding that sweet spot between real playing and wrestling with the interface is fun, but also sobering. The MODX line has a sparkling sound and a seemingly robust programming interface, so your issue kinda comes down to the cartage. You know what's right for you, but that Korg could possibly become a MODX, a small/medium effect and some control pedals. Its one possibility.

"I like that rapper with the bullet in his nose!"
 "Yeah, Bulletnose! One sneeze and the whole place goes up!"
       ~ "King of the Hill"

Of all the sentences I never thought I'd read.....! You'd be crazy because you are a synth player. The rest is a formality.

Since you are no newcomer to the tribe, you probably know how imperative it is to lay hands to the wundertoy first, if at all possible. It can decide a lot of it.

Having said that, think carefully. That Kronos has almost exaggerated market value in the new & impaired supply-chain economy. You could turn it into a sweet deal.

I understand the menu-diving aspect. Logic is far more complex than a Kronos, but its all up front. Its like my old 01W amplified to the Nth degree. I'm still a posturing piano plunker who got drawn to synths, so finding that sweet spot between real playing and wrestling with the interface is fun, but also sobering. The MODX line has a sparkling sound and a seemingly robust programming interface, so your issue kinda comes down to the cartage. You know what's right for you, but that Korg could possibly become a MODX, a small/medium effect and some control pedals. Its one possibility.

Great post.

I am still in love with my Kronos61. But if I were to make a change I really don't think I'd be in e MODX camp. As my previous band gigs other than a couple were sub-in or on-call, I like that Transpose up there where I want it and I like the way Kurzweil organizes their panels. The Kurz organ tops anything by Yamaha. Needless to say orchestrals and they have improved their pianos. I like retooling EPs to my liking, but you can get them outsourced. PC4 for me â I won't deal with flubby weighted actions so it would be the PC4-7.

Here for the gear.

And the MODX8 is really light for what you get. I still gig my original Kronos 73 (in a soft case) to every electronic gig...and it has NOT gotten any lighter over the years LOL

However, the MODX8's weighted action is an acquired taste - there's a reason it's half the cost of the Kronos. You want to make sure you play one in person, exclusively for piano and rhodes, for at least 30 minutes straight before you make a buy vote, I would think.

Thanks for the opinion Tim. I find that the weight is no small issue. I tend to reach for the boards that are easier to transport. Sometimes even at a compromise of sound quality, though I really should settle for less than makes me happy.

But for me I keep coming back to landing where I ended up a couple of years ago. I have VERY good sounding, capable gear that offers more potential than I every actually use.

This is true, but because of 1) the schlep factor, 2) the boot up time and 3) the complexity of the menus and editing, I"m just not using it. It can be the most capable board in the world but it it sits in the 'off" position it"s not making any sound at all.

And at the end of the day, the biggest limitation I have is my own playing and needing to spend more time practicing. So I haven't bought another keyboard in a little while.

Amen. #truth

I'd also consider the Kurzweil PC4/PC4-7, which in some ways, is a little more Kronos-like than the MODX... e.g. having a 9-slider controllable organ engine, a VA synth engine, more flexible MIDI implementation, assignable outs, workstation-style sequencer, aftertouch (though the LS is the only Kronos without that... but your Nord has it).

I"ve never figured out why but Kurzs are super few and far between in local brick and mortar shops. I"m not sure if he able to even find one to sit down at and try.

Also, it"s daunting to think about learning a new company"s terminology. Having owned boards from all of the other major manufacturers, I"m kind of familiar with their architecture and terminology.

I"ll keep my eye out for one locally, though!

You probably know how imperative it is to lay hands to the wundertoy first, if at all possible. It can decide a lot of it.

This is all true. I haven"t set foot in a music store since the pandemic hit, but prior to making such a decision I certainly need to venture out and spend some time sitting down for some quality time with any new prospective board.

I wasn"t necessarily thinking of a 1:1 trade. I often tend to price significantly below market for a quick sale to be done with it quickly though, and not have to deal with the ton of timewasters and lowballers locally. There"s no way I would ship anything as heavy or fragile as the Kronos.

I like that Transpose up there where I want it and I like the way Kurzweil organizes their panels. The Kurz organ tops anything by Yamaha. Needless to say orchestrals and they have improved their pianos. I like retooling EPs to my liking, but you can get them outsourced. PC4 for me â I won't deal with flubby weighted actions so it would be the PC4-7.

In 20 years or so of periodically checking out local stores, I"ve seen 3 Kurzweils. It"s bizarre. They have such a good reputation but there nary a floor model to be found locally.

I"ve had my MODX8 for 3 years now and still waiting to fall in love with it. It"s a sensible purchase and very capable, but it doesn"t vibe for me.

OTOH, I got one of my churches to purchase a Krome 88. I used to carry my 73 there, and picked the 88 over the MODX8 for that gig.

My Fantom X7 has turned into an actual paperweight, it turns on, but no sound and the display is frozen, the buttons don"t do anything :(

I"ve had my MODX8 for 3 years now and still waiting to fall in love with it. It"s a sensible purchase and very capable, but it doesn"t vibe for me.(

Exactly my feelings about my Kronos. I couldn"t turn down the deal I got and I know there"s incredible power under the hood but it doesn"t ever call me to play it like other keyboards have.

I like that Transpose up there where I want it and I like the way Kurzweil organizes their panels. The Kurz organ tops anything by Yamaha. Needless to say orchestrals and they have improved their pianos. I like retooling EPs to my liking, but you can get them outsourced. PC4 for me â I won't deal with flubby weighted actions so it would be the PC4-7.

In 20 years or so of periodically checking out local stores, I"ve seen 3 Kurzweils. It"s bizarre. They have such a good reputation but there nary a floor model to be found locally.

Unfortunately there"s next to zero presence in Canada. Had it not been for the persistence of a diehard Kurzweil fan who worked at a local music retailer, closed years ago, I doubt I would have ever considered them in the first place. I bought an SP4-7 sight unseen, and my brother bought a PC4 sight unseen. And the only way to make an 'informed' purchase on them in the short term would be to do the research and take a chance. At least you and I are relatively close to the US but we"ll have to wait awhile before taking a road trip.

I see that Steve"s is an authorized seller in the Montreal area. They have no current stock, but perhaps they"d bring one in for you.

Here for the gear.

I've had an MODX8 since 2018; it replaced a Montage 8, mostly due to size and weight issues. I gigged both keyboards steadily from late 2016 into 2019, and may be taking the MODX8 out again in 2022. Right now it anchors my home workspace as an 88-key controller.

I like how portable and relatively compact the MODX8 is (30 lbs, with pitch/mod wheels above keybed). The variety and quality of the piano tones is very strong (including the Bosendorfer set available from Yamaha); so you'd have all the MX88 pianos, plus much more. The synth capabilities are extensive, even with fewer 'engines' than the Kronos. Like the Montage, the MODX is deep and complex; so there is a learning curve - especially the file management system (though I found it much easier to wrap my brain around than that of the Kronos). I like the display far more than the one in the Kronos. Having the expanded FM engine onboard is sweet. I've just scratched the surface of programming FM-X, but the sounds discovered so far bring back memories and point to the future. For layered Performances it brings a lot to the table.

The tonewheel organ Performances are not based on a true model with extensive controls (like Kronos, Kurzweil PC/Forte, Nord etc.), but they are well-above average in the ROMpler department. And between 3rd-party efforts and some of Yamaha's updates, the organs are variety gig-capable. I've also connected an iPad running IK MM's Hammond B-3X and used that with the MODX's audio inputs. Makes the MODX8 an attractive all-in-one option.

Not thrilled by the very basic wall-wart power supply, so will likely pick up a spare one for future gigging. Also the action is capable, but clearly a step down from the Montage (more like that in the MOXF8, vs one of Yamaha's premium digital pianos). The front panel is slightly condensed from that of the Montage, but I don't find that to be a big deal.

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

I picked up an extra wall wart for my MODX7 right away, it's in my backup cable/gear case.

It's not a keyboard that I love. That's probably due to the fit and finish, which as I said is toy-like but on the plus side very light. It's very practical though. Heck I just put it down above for its synth sounds, yet because our drummer wants to do a Rush song, we decided to do Subdivisions. I'll use my Summit live but for practice I just bring the MODX, so I programed a split patch with rhythm and lead synths. I'll be darned if I wasn't able to come up with something quite good if I dare say so (low end a bit wimpy but we have a bass player that will play throughout unlike Rush)! yeah, it's not an Oberheim, but what rompler is! :D

I play a bit of clav here and there and am wanting to see if I can improve the built-in sounds. Options would be that one EP/clav library that everyone recommend (can't recall the name, something river?) or something on the Ipad. Is neo soul studio the best ipad clav? not to derail this thread completely!

I agree with your points about the Kronos, I have a Kronos2 73, great board but heavy as heck, never leaves home. I own several boards, Montage6, Nord Stage 2, Hammond SK1, Roland Jupiter 50, the list goes on, however my latest purchase is a Yamaha YC61. The organs are really good and the pianos and EP's are the best. Comes in 73 and 88 keys. 61 has waterfall keys for organ. 61 pounds! BTW, the extra sounds are a bonus also. Good luck!

If all you"re looking to do is hit presets and play, then the Kronos may not be the right board for you. It is still the most advanced and capable workstation overall, all these years later, and really still does not have a true peer. But with that ability comes a learning curve, and depending on what you wish to accomplish it can be quite steep.

Yes, it is heavy. I have two K2 73s, so I am able to keep one in my home studio and take the other out for rehearsals and gigs. I"m getting ready to head out in the morning to drive 400 miles up north for several days of practice and a gig next weekend. For less arduous trips where I"m transporting my gear in my Tahoe, I have a soft case which helps ease the heft. I also have a heavy duty flight case for those times it needs to be loaded in a trailer, or on a plane should that be necessary in the future. A good collapsible dolly helps immeasurably for those times I need to lug it in the flight case⦠I"m a 60 year old man :)

The performance aspects of the Kronos are worth it to me. When I"m performing, there"s no need to menu dive. I use the Setlist with my voices in their proper order, and the real-time control surface allows me to make whatever tweaks I need live.

I love my Kronos and couldn"t imagine not having it (them).

• 1 month later...

A quick follow up to those kind enough to chime in on this thread.

I sold the Kronos to an appreciative buyer and used some of the proceeds to buy an MODX8.

I couldn"t be happier.

The board seems infinitely more portable to me.

It powers up in <10 seconds as opposed to ~1.5 minutes.

I have no issues with the keybed / action whatsoever.

While not the most intuitive board, I was able to figure out how to create splits, layers, and add effects within a half hour all without having to open the manual.

I guess that"s what they mean when they say 'YMMV"â¦!

The Kronos is an extremely capable KB with a boatload of sounds and features.

However, there's a lot underneath the Kronos hood which includes quite a bit of menu diving too. :laugh:

The Kronos is complete but it is not for the faint of heart. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

The Kronos is an extremely capable KB with a boatload of sounds and features.

However, there's a lot underneath the Kronos hood which includes quite a bit of menu diving too. :laugh:

The Kronos is complete but it is not for the faint of heart. :cool:

When doing my research on buy a workstation I remember one of the people spoke with describing the Kronos as a complete recording studio inside a keyboard. He also warned me about the steep learning curve and I'm learning first hand he wasn't kidding. I'm having a great time playing and slowly learning my Kronos.

Right on. I wondered if you"d take to the action. I, like all the other modx"ers, use modx7 as my main gig board. I love it, but every board has its compromises.
The baiting I do is purely for entertainment value. Please feel free to ignore it.