Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Advice for setup composition

Hello everyone,

First, thank you for accepting my request to join the group. Maybe someone can help me.

I'm getting back to playing in a band after many years off. I need to compose a lightweight setup of two keyboards, at a low cost, that gives me varied possibilities to play rock and pop rock, from the 1960s to the present day. So, it was clear that one of the keyboards must be a synth with good bread and butter sounds. On the other hand, I intend to use a lot of organ, so I would like one of the keyboards to be a clonewheel. I've had one, the only one, a Roland VK8, whose action is waterfall (I don't know the manufacturer), but it was heavy, the other timbres were poor and Leslie's simulation was not so good. So, researching a lot I thought that Nord Electro can deliver me what I'm looking for (great hammonds + other quality tones, mainly pianos) and, together with the synth, could deliver me all the sounds I need.

My experience with hammer action keys is somewhat limited. I've always played basically with waterfall and soft keys. And thinking of the lean setup I'm looking for, a piano-playing keyboard just doesn't seem to make sense. But a dedicated organ with other great sounds (like the NE), as I said, makes sense.

That's where I ran into an impasse, because at least one of the keyboards needs to have 73 keys for some specific piano songs. And I came to the conclusion that I have two set options. The first: a 61-key synth on top and an NE3 or 4 73-key synth at the bottom. In this case, I would make Nord's pianos on NE's waterfall keyboard. The second option, an NE3 or 4 61 on top + 76-key synth (Juno DS, eg) on the bottom. In that case, I could play the NE pianos on the synth via midi and (I think) would have some control over the dynamics through the synth.

I specified NE3 or 4 because that's what fits my reality (I live in Brazil, where prices, even used ones, are very high) and it's what I could afford.

Finally, I remember that playing the VK8 pianos on its own keyboard was not a good experience, but I don't know if the action is the same as the NE3/4 nor if the dynamic curves of the Nords (included from the NE4) really make the difference for playing the piano. I read in an article that the SW keys on the NE have sensors at the top and bottom, so you get the correct answer depending on whether you're playing organ or piano. So does this mean the keyboard is programmed to respond differently in each section? Could I get some dynamics and expressiveness by playing the piano samples downloaded on the NE3 73 SW?

Unfortunately, due to specific factors, I won't have access to keyboards to try out before I buy, so I'll have to decide for myself taking these variables into account. In any case, opinions from more experienced users can make a difference at this time, even more when someone has already found himself in the same situation in which I am.

Thanks in advance and I apologize if the text was too long.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome, lidinob!

Not having an opportunity to access keyboards prior to making your decision is daunting, especially at the prices you seem to be willing to pay.

First question I have is why you need to have two keyboards in the first place? For the money of two, would you consider a Nord Stage 73 or for a lot less money, a Kurzweil PC4-7? Both have semi-weighted keys, the latter probably having a lot more flexibility in live situations. I used a NS2-73 for years as a one-board solution, haven't played the Kurzweil at all, but checking out the specs it appears to have everything you're looking for, except waterfall. You're going to have to compromise somewhere anyway, and the price is so (comparitively) low that you could end up with it as your lower board adding a dedicated synth or controller accessing the PC-4's synth bank if you come to believe you still need it.

Just putting in my 1.8¢ CDN and bumping your thread up so others will see it and chime in.

Here for the gear.

I really like the 73-76 key size keyboards. Big enough to play piano parts and splits, small enough to fit in the car. I also prefer at least 2 keyboards on stage. Very handy if one ever goes out. The Nord Electros are a good choice for organ Even the older models sound good. For the other keyboard a proper ROMpler would be the way to go. If limited selection and budget is a factor, don't worry so much. Just watch for something to show up. Korg, Yamaha, Roland and Kurzweil all make great ROMplers of various price. While I have preferences I could easily perform with any of them. A Korg Kronos or Roland Fantom is great, but not necessary for playing in a cover band. I would most likely go for a 61 key Electro and a 76 key ROMpler. If you find something available locally but are not sure about it, mention it in this thread and ask us about it.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Some great suggestions already, but as a cover band player myself, the MODX7 has a brilliant set of default sounds that covers pretty much everything. As a bottom board with an NE on top, you'd be pretty set :thu:

Hello ledinob, welcome to the forum.

If you want a "Electro for Hammond and piano, plus a second "synth" keyboard" rig, then putting the Electro above a lower keyboard makes sense, as you have access to the drawbars/drawbuttons and other organ controls. Also a 61 Electro gives you a C at the top like a real Hammond.

If you want to

play the NE pianos on the synth via midi
then the Electro 3 and 4 don't allow you to play piano via MIDI while simultaneously playing organ on the Electro's keys (forumites correct me if I'm wrong - I think this feature came in with the E5). Is that important to you? If you find a lower board with pianos you like, that might not be a problem.

Your suggestion of a DS61/76 as a second board is a good one. The 76 has a reportedly better action than the 61 (still "soft" keys, not hammer action), plus pitch bend and modulation for synth. If you can stretch to the FA07, you get a virtual-analog(ue) synth engine, which might be useful. Alternatively, if you can find (and afford) a Nord Stage Classic (or EX) 73 as a top board, that has a waterfall action, can play organs locally, pianos via MIDI, clonewheel and VA synth onboard, plus aftertouch, pitch/mod, etc. (I expect this would be about $800). No samples though (except pianos), which is where the DS76 would come in as a "bread and butter board". The Kurzweil PC4-7 is also a good suggestion as a new board - it has clonewheel, synth, bread-and-butter samples, strong MIDI Capabilities - just add a cheap 61-key controller.

Cheers, Mike.