Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Humor: Best Power Amp for "The Sound of Silence"

Saw this image on another forum -- had to share it here...

For sure, the power consumption and weight are on the low end..............

Old No7

7ncOiJt.jpg

Yamaha MODX6 * Hammond SK Pro 73 * Roland Fantom-08 * Crumar Mojo Pedals * Mackie Thump 12As * Tascam DP-24SD * JBL 305 MkIIs

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Prefer what Rush did with the washers and vending machines when Geddy Lee went direct.

Korg Kronos X73 / ARP Odyssey / Motif ES Rack / Roland D-05 / JP-08 / SE-05 / Jupiter Xm / Novation Mininova / NL2X / Waldorf Pulse II

MBP-LOGIC

American Deluxe P-Bass, Yamaha RBX760

This one is one of my favorite the fakes aren't even full depth and include fake amp head.

F6823675-9D9C-4584-A847-E7A28D3BB1B9-992-000000A8FB0366AE.jpg

That one is even more appalling.

You'd really have to set those things up before they opened the gates, AND be the headliner. Imagine being the opening act and the have the road crew move them off when everyone can see they're fake?

Hilarity ensues....

They could at least put a thin piece of plywood or hardboard on the back to make it more convincing.

Speaking as a former roadie why add the weight. The audience knows walls of gear are empty cabinets or fakes and just part of the show. Plus audience is stoned, drunk, or wrapped up in the excitement of the concert and that's all that matters. People say they are there for the music, but they end up being pulling into the energy of the audience and just enjoy it.

Then there was that period of time in the 80s where they wanted to HIDE real cabinets in favor of lots of room to run about.

HGcf8B82Noha84EmRR9ADW-970-80.jpg

So what's next, stages that have hidden fake cabs? :freak:

From working with the Stones management back when they did that hiding the amps building a ramp over the amps for Mick to dance on. That little bit of thin material that covered the amps created enough back pressure they were constantly blowing speakers. They ran thru all the spare speakers and became an emergency. The Stones called JBL to get a couple pallets of speakers sent to them ontour. Being the Stones they used their $$$ power to get a load of passenger luggage bumped off a flight to fly the speakers to them. Some frustrated tourists would even more upset if they knew their luggage was late because of the Stones. LOL.

Some frustrated tourists would even more upset if they knew their luggage was late because of the Stones. LOL.

And others of us would say, "okay, how about some free tickets (good seats!) to make up for the inconvenience?" :)

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I used to gig with a knuckle-headed bassist who would take 2 insanely heavy cabs on stage because he thought it looked cool, despite the fact soundy was taking a line out of the amp head.

Used to drive sound engineers insane because he was way too loud on stage. We had to have an intervention with him and get him to actually use the volume knob.

At one gig we were struggling for on-stage real estate and he suggested one of the other band members stand BEHIND his superfluous cabs. I had to explain to him that the audience would likely prefer to see the saxophonist than stare at 8 speaker cones.

I'm showing my age in saying that I'd love to have heard Nash the Slash play this song his way. The giant fake amp stack would be superfluous. If you remember him too, welcome to the Bursitis Brigade.

"I want to be an intellectual, but I don't have the brainpower.
  The absent-mindedness, I've got that licked."
        ~ John Cleese

I built a gigantic old school Heathkit stereo power amp many years ago. They rated it at 400 watts RMS per channel at 4 ohms.

One day at practice 3 foot high flames came belching forth mightily. It was very quiet and we all smelled the yellow smoke. The End.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.