Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Full Bucket's "Korg DW8000," the FB-7999

I owned a pair of DWs for several years, so its a happy place in my history. I think they stayed a bit too pure with only the original 16 waveforms, but offering 64 voices & two layers helps, especially if you get "vintage wood" over accuracy. I layered mine, so this feels just right. If you like it enough to take it on, you'll blend it with fancier VIs and wavetablers anyway.

SysEx is welcome, because its a great FX machine. I bought their memory expander and built a passable bank of Schulzian patches. They left off the arpeggiator, which is only a small shame, as it was bare-bones and easily outmatched by modern options. I don't need a DW these days, but it was my Juno-106 in a way and always useful.

Note that its donationware and tip your waitress accordingly. These free/cheap gems are manna for newbies and great options if you want a CS-80 or a Memorymoog.

fb7999.html

"I like that rapper with the bullet in his nose!"
 "Yeah, Bulletnose! One sneeze and the whole place goes up!"
       ~ "King of the Hill"

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for this David!

Got a couple of other Full Bucket things (Delta/ Trident) and they do a pretty good job of capturing the essence of the instruments.

Back in the day when I was writing library music, had a DW8000 and used those brass and choir sounds to death. Gave me warm memories hearing them again. Long sold my DW, but nice to have those sounds back again.

Chris Corso

www.chriscorso.org

Lots of stuff.

These free/cheap gems are manna for newbies and great options if you want a CS-80 or a Memorymoog.

Unless I missed something... went through their list of offerings, and I saw no CS-80 or Memorymoog emulations. Everything (except their own softsynth creations) was a Korg emulation.

Kurzweil PC3, Yamaha MOX8, Alesis Ion, Kawai K3M

Oops! Sorry! Memorymoon makes the solid $40 Yamaha CS-80 plug "ME80." Cherry Audio offers the $39 Memorymode. I have both and can add my praise to that of others. The anthemic Vangelis and Moog sounds deliver the right tingles. The ME80's GUI is accurate, with generous added features. The Memorymode is a Memorymoog with all of the clunky issues resolved, plus a winning 4-part effects panel.

I've briefly laid hands to the hardware, so these feel right to me. The voices are accurate. Crank the bass a bit and you get the full monty. We could debate it, but a clean bass bin separates the nose whistles from the Fairlights, so to speak. Worth a look.

memorymode-synthesizer

http://www.memorymoon.com/me80.htm

"I like that rapper with the bullet in his nose!"
 "Yeah, Bulletnose! One sneeze and the whole place goes up!"
       ~ "King of the Hill"

just to mention what I've read in their manual... amazingly those guys managed to recreate the synth in a single 7KB dll file!

"It is important to understand that FB-7999 is not a sample player. Instead I used the

samples that Ben and Gerald sent me to reconstruct the sound parameters of the

original hardware."

So far this is 99% close to the real thing!

... since we're mentioning similar free/shareware/inexpensive offerings, how about that Cherry Audio Eight Voice - for $29?!

When it doesn´t exist already,- this requires a new thread IMO.

Today´s freeware is often so good, you´re able to create a complete studio environment from and do pro production with it.

Same rules w/ the low cost software/devices available today.,- especially when you create your own music and demands of pro producers hireing you as a keyboardplayer/arranger are 2nd row.

I´m using Memorymoon "Messiah" and "ME80" as well as discoDSP OBX-d, Dexed, the Full Bucket Music devices, all Cherry Audio except the MS20 emulation and Memorymode.

But I´ll buy Memoymode soon and even I´m waiting for Memorymoon "Memorymoon" (64Bit C++ upgrade).

Cherry Audio "EightVoice" is a great softsynth IMO, Polymode and the Juno 106 emu too !

I also use Sonic Projects OP-X Pro II ...

And all run on my main Win7 SP1 64Bit DAW machine !!!

Up to now no need to upgrade Windows DAW to Win!10 or 11.

:)

A.C.

I was introduced to the DW-8000 at the January 1985 NAMM Show. I had recently left KORG to start with Ensoniq (in October 1984) and came to the KORG booth to visit old friends. The DW-8000 had such warmth and presence. However, that was the NAMM Show where the Ensoniq Mirage made its debut. Big splash. It was fun. After checking out the Mirage, Bob Moog told Bruce Crockett, "You should sell a boatload." Good times indeed.

Steve Coscia