Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Your Favorite Utilitarian Accessory

Am I crazy for being excited about getting a guitar rack?

I ordered a guitar rack from String Swing and I gotta admit, I'm more excited about that showing up than pretty much any gear I've gotten in the past year. The idea of having six guitars instantly available is immensely appealing.

Another exciting purchase was a USB docking device into which you can plug "naked" SATA or IDE hard drives. I had a bunch of old/assorted hard drives sitting around, and this made it so easy to transfer files and archive stuff that I use only occasionally. Then there's the wireless QWERTY keyboard I use as a remote for my DAW when recording narration...

These got me thinking about what other accessories I might be missing out on. Have you found anything lately that makes your life easier or more efficient?

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A pedalboard

My bandmates never openly complained about the length of time it took me to set up my pedals for rehearsals, but would occasionally comment how pedalboards are so convenient (hint, hint). I had my pedals cabled together so I just had to take them out of the base/duffel bag, then plug them into the power supply.

I was going to show my off my new Pedaltrain pedalboard with the pedals all Velcro'd and wired up at the next rehearsal, then the pandemic hit.

I bought one of those 6 guitar stands last year from Sweetwater and love it. I keep

Strat

Yamaha Silent guitar

Acoustic

4 string bass

5 string bass

That leaves one empty slot for my guitar of the week. If the guitars are out there and in view I am more likely to pick it up and play a while. What I want next is a shelf that will hold a lot of beatboxes, small keyboards and desktop synths along with their power supplies. I've yet to find exactly what I want and may end up having to convert a regular bookshelf to fit that need. On option is to buy shoe shelves to put in the book shelf. Shoe shelves are those little risers that you but in department stores that go in the bottom of your closet, sitting on the floor so you can put shoes both under it and on the low shelves.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

My all time favorite is a Peterson VS-II, a "virtual" strobe tuner. I paid well over $200 for it back around 2003 and considered it quite expensive. It still works and I can't begin to count the number of guitars that I've accurately intonate with it, to say nothing of all the perfectly tuned guitars period. It has more than earned it's keep and still works perfectly. Best widget I've ever owned.

Here are 2 runners up.

Boss TU-10 clip on tuner. It changes the view according to the lighting. I can easily see it to tune in bright sunlight or on a dark stage. I showed it to our lead singer/strummer and he bought one immediately.

Most tuners are difficult or impossible to see at outdoor gigs and even during these trying times we played a good number of them over the summer.

And... one of my projects this winter is to finally mount the 7 of the 9 guitar hangers I got on craigslist to 3 beautiful boards I found at Habitat store and mount them them on a wall in my humble home studio. 3 on top, 2 basses and a fretless banjo, then 2 up in between the 3, probably acoustic guitars, then 3 at the bottom, electric guitars. That will be handy indeed.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

Received and assembled the String Swing guitar rack today. It's almost perfect...I realize their thing is being compact, but the guitars are right next to each other, so you need to be careful taking them in and out. Maybe they could accessorize by selling Guitar Condomz that would slip over the guitar while it's in the rack, although I guess that defeats the purpose of seeing all your lovely guitars :) Still, it's great to have my fave guitars instantly accessible. Well worth the $125.

My all time favorite is a Peterson VS-II, a "virtual" strobe tuner.

The Peterson StroboStomp HD Pedal Tuner is the best tuner I've ever had for live gigs. It's got the Peterson accuracy and I have it wired into my Line 6 G90 so that the signal through is bypassed when tuning or switching guitars. Anything that makes live performing easier is a blessing, particularly with the complex setup I've put together!

• 2 weeks later...

These SDcard to SCSI adapters will replace old screeching 50 pin SCSI drives. I bought 2 of them ! A single card can be partitioned and set up as 4 drives. They are a little tricky to set up though.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/202542398642

There is also a SDCARD reader for the C64 :)

Dan