Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Current M1 MacBooks

I tried the search engine and it's not cooperating. So here goes ...

For my home production studio, I currently am using a mid-2015 MacBook Pro with 16GB RAM, 2TB SSD and several external LaCie Rugged drives and a dedicated backup drive. Running macOS Mojave.

No current problems as such. But I've been looking at the new M1 MacBook Pro and even the MacBook Air. Both have very similar specs. Would probably up the RAM to 16GB.

I notice that around these parts there seems to be a lot of Mac Mini love. Maybe the size, form factor, and I/O? I was actually thinking of replacing my iPad Air 2 with a new M1 iPad Pro

and happened to also notice that I could get a brand new M1 MacBook Air for less than the iPad Pro. That got me thinking about the MacBook Air. My wife and I drank the Kool-Aid

years ago and currently have Apple watches, iPhones (just ordered new 13s), iPad mentioned above and she has a iPad Mini, and we both have AirPod Pros, so we do have a fairly robust Apple ecosystem.

My question is. A new MacBook with M1 chip running Big Sur - how would that work as a music computer? Anyone with any experience using it yet? How compatible are most

DAW and VST/AU products with both the M1 chip as well as Big Sur for those that may know. I could (and probably will) go online and check manufacturer websites on

compatibility with both but just wanted a quick overview until I do. Haven't pulled the trigger yet, and probably won't until I do some further research. I just wanted to put

out a feeler here on the board to conjure up anyone with such experience that may be willing to share their thoughts. As always, thanks in advance! I was watching a YouTube comparison between the iPad Pro

and the MacBook and realize I would probably get more actual work done with the MacBook than the iPad. I can also get a standard iPad and a MacBook air for the same as the iPad Pro M1 with Pencil, keyboard, etc.

BTW - just for the record, I used Windows PCs for many years (and even taught classes on them) and wife and I both have Alienware laptops for surfing, work, and gaming (Quests for VR use).

But I also bought one of the first Macintosh Classics way back in 1984 when they first came out (for $2500 at that - lol) so me and Apple have a history too! So let the games and comments begin ...

Hardware:
Yamaha
: MODX7 | Korg: Kronos 88, Wavestate | ASM: Hydrasynth Deluxe | Roland: Jupiter-Xm, Cloud Pro, TD-9K V-Drums | Alesis: StrikePad Pro|
Behringer: Crave, Poly D, XR-18, RX1602 | CPS: SpaceStation SSv2 | 
Controllers: ROLI RISE 49 | Arturia KeyLab Essentials 88, KeyLab 61, MiniLab | M-Audio KeyStation 88 & 49 | Akai EWI USB |
Novation LaunchPad Mini, |
Guitars & Such: Line 6 Variax, Helix LT, POD X3 Live, Martin Acoustic, DG Strat Copy, LP Sunburst Copy, Natural Tele Copy|
Squier Precision 5-String Bass | Mandolin | Banjo | Ukulele

Software:
Recording
: MacBook Pro | Mac Mini | Logic Pro X | Mainstage | Cubase Pro 12 | Ableton Live 11 | Monitors: M-Audio BX8 | Presonus Eris 3.5BT Monitors | Slate Digital VSX Headphones & ML-1 Mic | Behringer XR-18 & RX1602 Mixers | Beyerdynamics DT-770 & DT-240
Arturia: V-Collection 9 | Native Instruments: Komplete 1 Standard | Spectrasonics: Omnisphere 2, Keyscape, Trilian | Korg: Legacy Collection 4 | Roland: Cloud Pro | GForce: Most all of their plugins | u-he: Diva, Hive 2, Repro, Zebra Legacy | AAS: Most of their VSTs |
IK Multimedia: SampleTank 4 Max, Sonik Synth, MODO Drums & Bass | Cherry Audio: Most of their VSTs |

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A lot of people have tried the M1 Mac Mini and iMac. For native Mac Applications like Logic or MainStage - these new processors are a significant jump in performance as far as multiple instances of audio units/virtual instruments and fx. Slowly but surely all the major software developers are releasing M1 native updates for their plugins - even though Apple has a scheme in place for older plugins to function. Many silicon vendors have also released drivers for their audio interfaces to work with M1. Class compliant interfaces already work.

I would wait for the flagship MacBook Pro to be updated to M1/M2 architecture before replacing your MacBook. Right now the only the 13' MackBook Pro has the M1.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

I have a 2016 MBP, still going strong so not going to upgrade just yet. I have to really go nuts with heavy plugins (like Repro) and tons of fx before it starts complaining. By that time it's easy enough to render tracks for mixdown, or freeze tracks. If I had to do this early and often though it would be a different story.

I think if I was going to, I'd strongly ask myself how important it would be to be portable (with a screen). The mini is portable but obviously you'd need a screen.

On the plus side, you could tuck it away and it would free up some desk space.

In my situation I'd wait for the M2 or M1X or whatever it's called. If I needed something now then I'd go for the 13" MBP or mini.

Rumor has it that new 14" and 16" MacBooks Pro with M1X chips will be introduced in about four weeks, shipping in November.

They should do away with current M1 limitations like 16 GB RAM and two monitors maximum (one external for a MBP), as well as adding considerable graphics oomph and possibly SD card slot (for reasons I don't grok) and some variation of MagSafe charging.

"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement" (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)

The Drawbars | off jazz organ trio

The current MBP 13 inch does not have a dedicated graphics card...I would avoid that if using Mainstage or demanding VSTs. Alternatively I would love hearing from people who use MS with a MBP that has "integrated graphics" (i.e. no dedicated graphics card).

If you overwhelm the graphics and require the main processor to do even an instant of graphics processing you will get a pop or glitch. My biggest waste of money ever was a 13 inch MBP with "integrated graphics." It was absolutely worthless with MS. I replaced it with a very similar spec'd 16 inch that had a graphics card and it is basically bullet-proof when it comes to MS.

You want me to start this song too slow or too fast?

Forte7, Nord Stage 3, XK3c, OB-6, Arturia Collection, Mainstage, MotionSound KBR3D. A bunch of MusicMan Guitars, Line6 stuff

That's got me curious if mine has integrated graphics or a separate card. I can't say I've ever checked it or thought about it.

It has a Radeon pro in it as well as the integrated graphics. Gaming-wise, I have only tried minecraft with it, and it struggles but that isn't a surprise as (perhaps surprisingly when you see it) that is a demanding game :)

Anyway, that is something I'll keep in mind. I'd think we'd start hearing about situations where it causes issues, though I'm not sure which VSTs might be more demanding in that regard if you mean graphically.

For live use I'm more committed to ipad due to b-3x and the form factor (though boy I do have some nice vsts I'd like to bring out!)

All I know is both my late 2018 Mini and my new M1 mini kick ass.

It's pretty simple to see if it has a dedicated vs integrated graphics card. Top left of the screen on the apple logo: click and drop down, click on "About this Mac" and it will be somewhere in that window.

You want me to start this song too slow or too fast?

Forte7, Nord Stage 3, XK3c, OB-6, Arturia Collection, Mainstage, MotionSound KBR3D. A bunch of MusicMan Guitars, Line6 stuff

My mileage has been the big M1 jump in Logic performance, with only two or three hiccups that were new-plug-in based and easily fixed. I'm no power user as such- 15 tracks is my loose average- so I'm not the acid tester some may be. However, 20 big ol' tracks of orchestral & Mellotron noises proceeding smoothly tells the tale.

My tools from all the key places have upgraded, loaded and run like sweethearts. I tossed several freebies and a few things that did not pass my 25%-use rule, so its a clean start for the system. A new Mellotron library and some Spitfire goods ran first thing. By extension, it makes sense to carefully assume that bigger effects and mastering processors will perform in a like manner.

Small to medium software houses sometimes have to huff & puff to catch up while some big ones almost seem lazy about it, but they all come on board eventually. I'm still in the nervous honeymoon phase. So far, so good. I'm sure the pending M1x chips you can fly to the store will be impressive, but earthbound on the autobahn seems fine. Also, when the zombies come, the Mini is small enough that I can jam it in my pants and still run fast enough to dodge 'em. :thu:

"Why can't they just make up something of their own?"
           ~ The great Richard Matheson, on the movie remakes of his book, "I Am Legend"

I have the Mac Mini M1. I wrote previously that it would not take activation due to running Monterey Beta that there is bug. All fixed now. The Macmini M1 (to me) is super fast and I have the 8GB Ram. Right now I have it running Pianos on my VPC1 controller. Pressing the button and it is almost instantly on it is more like a digital piano only with my selected software. I had CPU issues on Pianoteq Pro when playing very fast passages/cadenzas when I was playing classical with the Intel. Now with the M1 it hardly effects the CPU and I run on 64 samples with no problem and about 0 latency. Pianoteq feels like an acoustic. Pianoteq looking at 'performaance' the north/south graph hardly moves from the bottom where it was high before. Hammersmith runs about 3 to 5 percent of CPU when playing a lot of notes. Unfortunately, Ivory II pianos standalone is not compatible yet.

WH

Thanks as always for the wonderful information you folks have shared. Logic tells me (pun intended) that I should wait until November to see what flushes out on the MacBook line (Pro & Air).

I may go ahead and pull the trigger on the iPad regular to replace my aging and somewhat crippled iPad Air 2 which would bring my iOS experience up to speed in the meantime while I wait until November.

Have I told you all lately that I love you? You guys are an awesome bunch and never fail to amaze me! If anyone still has opinions or thoughts on the original topic, keep the posts coming! I'm sure someone else will benefit!

Hardware:
Yamaha
: MODX7 | Korg: Kronos 88, Wavestate | ASM: Hydrasynth Deluxe | Roland: Jupiter-Xm, Cloud Pro, TD-9K V-Drums | Alesis: StrikePad Pro|
Controllers: ROLI RISE 49 | Arturia KeyLab Essentials 88, KeyLab 61, MiniLab | M-Audio KeyStation 88 & 49 | Akai EWI USB |
Guitars & Such: Line 6 Variax, Helix LT, POD X3 Live, Martin Acoustic, DG Strat Copy, LP Sunburst Copy, Natural Tele Copy|

Software:
Recording
: MacBook Pro | Mac Mini | Logic Pro X | Mainstage | Cubase Pro 12 | Ableton Live 11 | Monitors: M-Audio BX8 | Presonus Eris 3.5BT Monitors | Slate Digital VSX Headphones & ML-1 Mic | Behringer XR-18 & RX1602 Mixers | Beyerdynamics DT-770 & DT-240
Arturia: V-Collection 9 | Native Instruments: Komplete 1 Standard | Spectrasonics: Omnisphere 2, Keyscape, Trilian | Korg: Legacy Collection 4 | Roland: Cloud Pro | GForce: Most all of their plugins | u-he: Diva, Hive 2, Repro, Zebra Legacy | AAS: Most of their VSTs |
IK Multimedia: SampleTank 4 Max, Sonik Synth, MODO Drums & Bass | Cherry Audio: Most of their VSTs |

Rumors peg the next revision of the MacBook Air as being late 2022, long after the higher-end MacBook Pro options that should be unveiled this month. The current MacBook Air model is pretty amazing unless you're actually running a heavy load constantly on it, in which case the lack of a fan becomes a limiting factor. For pure audio use I'd definitely keep it in consideration as a cost-effective option.

I should also note that the reason people have gotten used to looking for discrete graphics solutions on earlier Mac models is because Intel's integrated graphics solution was distinctly sub-par. Apple's M1 design utilizes their own dedicated graphics cores, integrated on the same silicon as the CPU but running in parallel with it. They're not going to compete with the more expensive (and battery draining!) options that a gamer, CAD designer, or 3D animation author might want, but they're perfectly capable for the kind of UI a DAW and plug-ins provides. The rumored M1X designs should also add significantly more integrated graphical muscle for more demanding tasks without going to a discrete design. If the leaks from Bloomberg a while back are accurate, then there will be distinct options that are at least 2x and 4x the GPU capability of the M1.

Acoustic: Shigeru Kawai SK-7 ~ Breedlove C2/R

MIDI: Kurzweil Forte ~ Sequential Prophet X ~ Yamaha CP88 ~ Expressive E Osmose

Electric: Schecter Solo Custom Exotic ~ Chapman MLB1 Signature Bass

I considered getting one of the current M1 Macbooks, but memory and port limitations got me holding out for the mid/top-tier models. Looking for a laptop that will replace both my cMP and MBP.

I hear you. I intend on ordering mine with 16GB of Memory just to be on the safe side. Also looking at SanDisk 2TB Extreme Portable SSD instead of additional SSD (standard $999 entry model comes with 256GB).

For boot drive I think that will be fine.

Regarding port limitations, I found this and think it may cure the lack of ports: https://www.newegg.com/wavlink-wl-umd501-gray/p/1DN-0023-00062?Item=9SIA6PFDAV1885

Looks promising anyway. If they are not going to upgrade the MB Air this year I may go ahead on the current one. Several content creators that are heavy Adobe and Final Cut users are going goo goo over the base 8GB version!

If they can do video editing and rendering I would think I'd probably be okay with 8GB but will probably spend the extra 2 Benjamins for 16GB just to err on the safe side (and maybe make it last a little longer (since you cannot upgrade the memory)

Hardware:
Yamaha

Software:
Recording

Most of my peripherals connect to my 2016 MBP (it has 4 usb c ports and that's it) through a similar hub (powered). That includes my audio interface. I have my monitor connected on one port, power on another, and everything else with the big hub. Never had an issue of any kind with it, latency or otherwise.

I got the cheapest Mac mini last year when my 2012 MBP finally died. It's been brilliant.

My MacBook Pro had 16GB RAM, and 2x SSDs inside. The 8GB Mac mini can easily keep up.

Got a couple of external Sandisk SSDs and all is well.

Typing this on a new (cheapest) MacBook Air and after migrating everything⦠it's fine.

Not one problem so far with Mainstage, Logic, NI, X32, iConnectivity interfaces etc.

If the old thing hadn't have died last year, I'd have waited for the new new Macs.

My 2016 MBP 15" is holding up, but I will get the new 16" when it becomes available. Upgrading every 5 years seems reasonable to me. I do use all 4 USB-C ports in my studio, so with the expected 3 USB-C ports (plus MagSafe, SD card slot and HDMI port) I am hoping there will be a multi-USB-C hub available.