Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

More MIDI 2.0 Developments

JUCE 6 is out, which has a variety of implications. Click here for the full story, but these are the most important ones for us:

New MIDI APIs on macOS 11 and iOS 14

JUCE now uses Apple's new MIDI APIs when running on the most recent Apple platforms. This development paves the way for broader MIDI 2.0 support across the JUCE framework as other platforms publish MIDI 2.0 APIs.

VST3 Plug-in Extensions

JUCE's VST3 backend has been redesigned, offering greater compatibility with the VST3 specification and enabling access to VST3-specific extensions. Plug-in developers can now access a much richer interface to any DAWs that provide their own set of extensions, such as those published by Presonus, Cockos and others.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess next steps include approval of the MIDI USB 2.0 specs, which would then open the way for MIDI 2.0 USB controllers

You can download the latest MIDI USB 2.0 specs here. According to midi.org, here are the highlights:

* Better support for deterministic, high-speed throughput (up to hundreds of times MIDI"s original speed)

* Old and new devices work with any operating system that supports the updated USB Class Definition for MIDI Devices

* As with the previous version, no drivers needed for compliant devices

* Supports up to 256 MIDI Channels in 16 Groups of the new Universal MIDI Packet

* Can provide more accurate timing for dense MIDI streams

* Devices can run multiple Endpoints to use more than 256 Channels

* Over time, simpler to implement than USB MIDI 1.0

* Enhances the use of MIDI 2.0 mechanisms including MIDI Capability Inquiry (MIDI-CI)

* Supports both MIDI 1.0 Protocol and MIDI 2.0 Protocol Data

* Devices can declare UMP Group IN/Out pairs for use by MIDI-CI

* Devices can declare that more than one UMP Group is used for a shared or related function.

* Added Bandwidth descriptors for more predictable use of higher speeds.

* Added support for Interrupt transactions as well as Bulk (USB MIDI 1.0 uses Bulk only) for more deterministic control over jitter and throughput.

• 6 months later...

Roland releases information on its new Fantom "0" series but not a word about MIDI 2.0 support!

What are we to make of this, I wonder?

Any thoughts Craig ... others?

Akai EWI 4000s, Yamaha VL70m, Yamaha AN1x, Casio PX560, Yamaha MU1000XG+PLGs-DX,AN,VL.

Good question, so I've written Roland for an answer. I did notice the following:

"Some players like levers or wheels, while others prefer external pedals. With FANTOM-0, you can use any of them—or all of them. And there’s even a dedicated USB device port to extend your workflow with your favorite USB MIDI controller."

MIDI 2.0 already has a definition for sending 2.0 data packets over USB, so perhaps this is intended to allow future compatibility with various MIDI 2.0 functionality. My guess (in the immortal words of Herman Cain, "I don't have facts to back this up") is that it has the hooks needed for MIDI 2.0, but they're not promoting it because there's still nothing to hook into that's available to the public.

Thanks for the update Craig.

1 hour ago, RABid said:

With the spec still being in development and changes added monthly I would think that manufacturers would be waiting for it to finalize before implementing it in a new product.

I thought that the spec of the MIDI 2 protocol was complete, It's available to download from the MMA web site.

As too is the MIDI 2 over USB spec.

What we're still waiting for completion of is the file spec.

( please correct me if I'm wrong.)

So, it would seem to me that a keyboard/synth manufacturer could implement the protocol in the synth and its USB interface and announce it.

It's whether the workstaion function of the device can record and store the extra information and subsequently export it in MIDI 2 formatvia USB that's in question too.

(Thinking aloud.)

Akai EWI 4000s, Yamaha VL70m, Yamaha AN1x, Casio PX560, Yamaha MU1000XG+PLGs-DX,AN,VL.